Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 05:45   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
ICW

We need to go from Baltimore to Carib; what is the best way to navigate ICW? Read about books and have C80 Ray Marine GPS Chart plotter on board as well.

As winter closed in we want to use the ICW as much as our 6.5 'deep boat allows
Old 19-10-2009, 06:01   #2

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
The ICW is not very well maintained and there are some shallow areas. Check the Cruisersnet.net for info. I avoid Georgia all together, I've hit with a 4' draft there.
What is your mast hieght? If you are close to 64' you might have some trouble with fixed bridges, In my area, Central Florida, I regularly see the fixed bridge openings at about 64'. Make sure you have a towing service contract in case you do run aground.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 06:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

thanks for the info
we are 64' mastheight
6.5 deep

is this ok for first part of trip from Baltimore? We understand it gets more tricky towards southern part of ICW

*what is a towing contract?
Old 19-10-2009, 06:19   #4

A towing contract can be had at BoatUS or SeaTow, both of these companies offer yearly contracts. If you get stuck you can hail them and they will come out and tow you to deeper waters. They will also assist if you break down. I regularly hail them to ask about conditions at inlets. As it relates to your draft and mast height, I would have a hard time taking the boat on the ICW, but that's me. Thats why I have a shallow draft boat and a mast of 59'.
Old 19-10-2009, 06:27   #5

you could take your boat to charleston without too much trouble. depths get shallow in a lot of places after that. i took a C&C34 with a 5' 11' draft down the icw last year and hit bottom in south carolina and georgia. go to claibourn young's site to see the problem areas
brucejarchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 15:34   #6

Boat: Boatless
Last year we just picked a weather window for Hattaras and went from Baltimore to Miami, on the outside, between Nov 1 and Nov 20th. 6-6 is more work than it is worth on the ICW. Towing insurance is essential and with your draft you need both companies in case you get cancelled after the third call.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 01:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

thanks all; this site is that the one with all the books sold on it ' cruisers for cruisers' ??
Old 20-10-2009, 04:51   #8

Boat: Ericson 35
I've been told so i don't know for sure because i was offshore.That there's about 5 bascule bridges per mile around the Miami area. Outside around there is recommended but going south you'll have to stay vary vary close to shore because of the Gulf Stream. Also there's a nice anchorage in south Miami called No Name Harbor if you go in from the outside watch out for those coral heads there in the channel.
Greenflash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 05:18   #9

Greenflash
That is correct, not only are there numerous bascule bridges there is a fixed bridge with only a 55' clearance. I would leave the ICW in Fort Pierce and go outside. If need be you could go into Lake Worth inlet and drop an anchor for the night and continue on south, outside.
Old 20-10-2009, 05:26   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflash35 View Post
I've been told so i don't know for sure because i was offshore.That there's about 5 bascule bridges per mile around the Miami area. Outside around there is recommended but going south you'll have to stay vary vary close to shore because of the Gulf Stream. Also there's a nice anchorage in south Miami called No Name Harbor if you go in from the outside watch out for those coral heads there in the channel.
Also, if you plan on coming as far south as Miami on the ICW, with your mast height of 64' you can't make it under the Julia Tuttle fixed bridge which is 54'. You can go as far as Ft .Lauderdale. You'll go out at Port Everglades and sail south to at least the Port of Miami. If you decide to head even further south defiantly watch your charts it gets shallow and reefy.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 06:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
..... of 64' you can't make it under the Julia Tuttle fixed bridge which is 54'. You can go as far as Ft .Lauderdale. You'll go out at Port Everglades and sail south to at least the Port of Miami.......
Certainly, the Julia Tuttle is not passable for the 64' mast, but for clarity it should be noted that the MHW clearance for the Julia Tuttle Bridge is 56' with almost an additional foot available one span to the left or right of the main channel. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 06:49   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Opening bridges are fine for a tall mast and the stretch with the most of them is from Peck Lake to Lantana. I think there's twelve bridges on this stretch. It's the fixed bridges you have to watch out for with 64 feet. Literally touch and go on many of the spans. I have seen tall masted boats back through the bridges so that they could go forward fast if they touched. And a few years ago there was a beast with an over 65 foot mast that traveled with two large water bags on the boom do they could induce a list and get under the fixed bridges.
Old 20-10-2009, 06:50   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Certainly, the Julia Tuttle is not passable for the 64' mast, but for clarity it should be noted that the MHW clearance for the Julia Tuttle Bridge is 56' with almost an additional foot available one span to the left or right of the main channel. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

OK Picky picky picky LOL

I always cut short two feet for safety. Especially in south Florida waters where "Joe I don't care", wakes your boat as he passes you right under the bridge at 30knts.
Old 20-10-2009, 07:15   #14

Tellie
How true is that! I have never seen more boaters (mostly Power boaters) with no regard for others than in South East Florida. That alone is a very good reason to go outside.
Old 20-10-2009, 07:52   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
Tellie
How true is that! I have never seen more boaters (mostly Power boaters) with no regard for others than in South East Florida. That alone is a very good reason to go outside.

True story.
About two months ago I was just about to go through the opening Hallandale bridge south bound towards Miami. Two minutes before I swear there was no one else behind me. Just as I was about to enter, the bridge tender started shouting on ch 9. "Power boat with naked captain approaching Hallandale bridge. Decrease you speed to avoid collision with the Catamaran in front of you!!!" I instantly turned around and bearing down on us was a 38 foot power boat piloted by a naked captain with a Chris Farley body. The bridge tender again calls for Captain Pudgy to slow down, and though I already was, the bridge shouted for me to take possible evasive action as well. Like no one was even there, me, the bridge, or the Marine patrol on the other side, Captain Pudgy blows right on by waking me as I barely kiss the bridge pilings with my Cat. Of course the Marine patrol is very interested and with blue lights flashing politely requests Captain naked to allow a boarding. Now with a rear view of the Captain I couldn't resist grabbing the binocs. I noticed he was wearing what appeared to be a G-String that said "PEE" on his backside. I said "WTF" my daughter had to tell me if it wasn't for the back flab it would spell "SPEEDO" My temporary anger turned into hilarious laughter had by all. Even the Marine patrol officer as we passed had a barely repressed smile.
The things you get to see down here.

Tags
icw