Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2014, 02:26   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Windlass Control Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We've renewed our windlass this year and have gone from a foot switch to a hand held corded switch. It took a bit of getting used to! However we've just fitted the remote switch in the link above. It works well and gives us more options when med mooring (very useful as we have a centre cockpit and usually only two of us on board).

The only issue we've had is that the switch tends to allow a small amount of over running when you release the button. It's only a problem when bringing the anchor up into the roller, initially we jammed it a few times but we've got use to it now.
Yes they lag a little bit. Having said that my current boat has a foot switch which I find difficult to use with any degree of finesse. In both cases I used the clutch setting of the windlass to allow for overrunning.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 04:00   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Russell View Post

I'm getting the distinct impression that a hand control is more versatile, and possibly safer.

We have foot switches at the bow (covered, work fine, no deterioration issues), and also a controller at the helm.

I find both switches mounted together more useful than I would if I had to dance around on both side of our rode/windlass.

I find I'm often able to do two things at once, using foot switches, usually do to with washing mud out of our chain as we bring it aboard. Doubt I could do that while juggling a hand-held instead.

-Chris
Old 18-09-2014, 11:55   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

I find I'm often able to do two things at once, using foot switches, usually do to with washing mud out of our chain as we bring it aboard. Doubt I could do that while juggling a hand-held instead.

-Chris
Yep, that's what I liked about our foot switch.
Old 18-09-2014, 12:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have foot switches at the bow (covered, work fine, no deterioration issues), and also a controller at the helm.

I find both switches mounted together more useful than I would if I had to dance around on both side of our rode/windlass.

-Chris
Hmm... I find the footswitches make it hard to do anything else.(although I found them plenty reliable, and had a few setup like that) You cant bend over and still run a footswitch with any finesse, you cant be forward and watch the anchor come over into the roller, you cant be up there to look at chain twist, and you cant be up there and use your washdown nozzle to get the mud off before it comes on deck. Just my experience I guess...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:49   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Don't laugh, these are brilliant provided you already have a solenoid with the winch:

50ft Wireless Winch Remote Control Switch Handset Kit for Jeep ATV SUV UTV 12V | eBay
I just finished installing an identical unit, only my 2nd remote is a small key-chain fob. I'm not expecting either one to last forever, but for the price, compared to the ones sold for boats, I can replace it every couple of years for the rest of my life and still come out ahead.

So far it works great. Installation was easy. Power and ground right from the lugs on the relay, and then tie into where the existing helm switch wires terminate. I can swap the whole thing out in 15 minutes when it croaks. I'm thinking of ordering a spare just to have it on board.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 13:37   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hmm... I find the footswitches make it hard to do anything else.(although I found them plenty reliable, and had a few setup like that) You cant bend over and still run a footswitch with any finesse, you cant be forward and watch the anchor come over into the roller, you cant be up there to look at chain twist, and you cant be up there and use your washdown nozzle to get the mud off before it comes on deck. Just my experience I guess...

Maybe it's about actual location and boat configuration? I can see over our roller and various angles over our bow rail... I can see the chain as it comes up (unless we ran over it for a minute)... and our washdown is on a coily-hose so I can maneuver to aim that... etc.

-Chris

Tags
wind, windlass