Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 16:15   #346

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999999 View Post
Avery anchor with a roll-bar,*due to a fluke shape, will*pop-out/fly-out from sand when*overpowered on a sudden impact at 20° of a straight direction.*Anchor's roll-bar prevents deep setting pushing the front tip up!*

Those are mechanical/scientific facts, we should accept them*unless*we are*sentimentally*attached*or a*producer*of a roll-bar anchor.

And, IF that's true, then I'm smarter than I look, cause my NG anchor doesn't have a roll bar. And it keeps digging in and holding...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 16:20   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Or... you could refer to any amount of empiric and actual knowledge on videos/photos of anchors setting threads.

But I also know I’m responding to some trolling by someone who registered for CF a few days ago to stir the pot.

I think you're right, cause all I hear are crickets from 999999....
Old 18-01-2019, 04:07   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
This thread contains excellent information and videos of anchors setting and how they set. There is another thread that contains pictures of anchors setting and that thread also contains excellent information. Here is a link to the other thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html

Previously, I posted some Videos of anchors setting over in Noelex's "Photos of Anchors Setting thread". I have another new video so I thought I would start this thread to keep all the videos in one place.

Others with video footage of anchor use should feel free to add them if they wish.

I will keep testing and filming different anchors as they become available to me.

This week, an acquaintance loaned to me a Fortress FX-16 anchor weighing in at 10 pounds. This was my first hands-on experience with a fortress anchor and I was very eager to see if it would live up to the great reputation that these anchors enjoy.

And live up it did! I gave it the full, abusive torture treatment that the other anchors received. The anchor set immediately and repeatedly brought Panope to abrupt halts from as much as 3.6 knots.

I have been wanting to add a Fortress anchor to my arsenal for some time but I figured this 10 pounder would be under sized. After this test, I quickly realized that this is just what I need for a stern/rowable anchor. Ended up buying this anchor from the person who loaned it for the test.

Steve

Just to say Tank you very much!!

One of the very few series of realy indipendent anchors tests,

and very well done!
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 01:18   #349

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Thanks, Black Eagle.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Steve.
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 22:44   #350
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Steve, Let me echo the service that you have given the boating community. Thanks you.

The real benefit I see is not so much which anchor is the best. That is a very hard question and varies from anchorage to anchorage.

But rather to show that the new generation of anchors are really (really, really) much better than older generation of anchors.

Looking at your videos or Nolex's photos Who in their right mind can suggest that a CQR is "good enough". Or even a Delta for that matter.

A friend who is in town on "vacation" from the South Pacific notes that people are changing out their older generation anchors for new generation (Mantus, Ronca et al) anchors. And that only the Luddites are keeping their CQR.

Thank you for your service to the community!
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:15   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Steve, Let me echo the service that you have given the boating community. Thanks you.

The real benefit I see is not so much which anchor is the best. That is a very hard question and varies from anchorage to anchorage.

But rather to show that the new generation of anchors are really (really, really) much better than older generation of anchors.

Looking at your videos or Nolex's photos Who in their right mind can suggest that a CQR is "good enough". Or even a Delta for that matter.

A friend who is in town on "vacation" from the South Pacific notes that people are changing out their older generation anchors for new generation (Mantus, Ronca et al) anchors. And that only the Luddites are keeping their CQR.

Thank you for your service to the community!

I concur. I researched for a while, but Steve's videos were the final straw that convinced me to change over from a CQR to a Spade. My old anchor only failed to grab once, while I was anchoring, and held on the second attempt, but I do sleep much better now. I still have my CQR...in my basement
Old 21-01-2019, 11:17   #352

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Bravo Steve. Together with Noelex’s photos of anchors thread this is the best real world, unbiased information anywhere about anchoring and the behavior of different anchor types. Thanks to you and to Noelex.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:44   #353

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks also for the kind comments.

I echo the sentiments about Steve’s videos. A wonderful resource.

Watching anchors perform underwater, the good designs are very obvious.

For my own part I will continue with the photos, but the air temperature where we are currently cruising is only a little above freezing on the better days, so this will have to wait until we move to warmer climates.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 05:48   #354

Thanks, everybody.

Noelex, I'm looking forward to your return to warmer conditions and continuing your anchor photo research.

In the meanwhile, can you give us an update on how things are going with the new boat? I'm especially curious about condensation control while living aboard in cold climate.

Steve
Old 22-01-2019, 09:41   #355

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
I concur. I researched for a while, but Steve's videos were the final straw that convinced me to change over from a CQR to a Spade. My old anchor only failed to grab once, while I was anchoring, and held on the second attempt, but I do sleep much better now. I still have my CQR...in my basement

If you can’t bring yourself to throw it out, it can be a good conversation piece as a sculpture in your garden...

I’ve got an old fisherman’s anchor that’s too small and unwieldy for my boat out in my flower garden and after awhile it blends in and looks like it belongs there.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 05:27   #356

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
In the meanwhile, can you give us an update on how things are going with the new boat? I'm especially curious about condensation control while living aboard in cold climate.

Steve
Thanks Steve.
I have written a long post about our steps to reduce condensation. To avoid derailing this great thread I have posted here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...147499-98.html
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43   #357

Panope has been launched for a couple months of boating following a 2 year hiatus in a shed.

In addition to some sailing, I did manage to conduct an anchor (re)test that I have been meaning to perform for some time.

Steve

Old 01-11-2019, 17:41   #358

Boat: Tartan 40

Great video- thanks for posting!! It definitely is no delta.... in a good way
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 17:59   #359

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Good to have you back in action, Steve. Keep 'em coming!
And a good performance from the Ex cell...

Jim
Old 01-11-2019, 21:50   #360

Thanks, Malbert, Jim.

Panope is scheduled to be hauled out for the winter next week, so there may not be many videos for a while.

That said, I might be able to do some testing on other boats. Stay tuned.....

Steve

Tags
anchor