Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 15:40   #496

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Before I bought a Spade for my current boat, all I used for the boats I've owned were CQR anchors. Only had one incident in the past 32+ years of PNW cruising where it didn't grab and hold, but just scooted along the bottom. It did set on the second try. Other than that, never had a problem. I agree that old steel/galvanizing seems much better, as the antique CQR I replaced has no rust, and the Spade has surface rust on the edges. I couldn't give my old CQR away for free, but after this video maybe it's gone up in value...
I tested the CQR in cobblestone yesterday. Value of CQR anchors likely to remain low.

Video in a week or two.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 15:50   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDM View Post
Hi Steve,

Great video again. I'm always excited when I see the yellow patch in the thumbnail/video as that is the anchor we bought this summer (one size larger though, with the hollow shank)

I had an idea or suggestion for future video's; how about exploring the different anchors' likeliness to get fouled under rocks, and how hard they are to clear again, due to geometry. I can see how that is difficult to standardize in a way that resembles real world possibilities but I thought it's something interesting to think about.

This being more aimed at cruisers, the ziptie trick isn't an option (you don't want that ziptie snapping during a current reversal when asleep) so it can be a real issue. Anchor buoys are too often seen as mooring spots by inexperienced/ignorant boaters so that makes it even more important for anchors to be "reversable" when dug under something hard.

Curious to your thoughts, if there can be a way thought up that can resemble something natural to see the behavior of each anchor. Not necessarily to "rate" each anchor, but more to learn. When knowing how an anchor behaves, its easier to come up with a plan when you are in a difficult position.

Thanks for the suggestion, DDM.

Off the top of my head, I can't visualize a test protocol for an anchor caught under a ledge.

Land based tests are probably not valid.

Maybe I could play around at low tide next to a manmade jetty (3 foot diameter rock placed on sandy/mud).

Steve
Old 23-09-2020, 16:14   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Very interesting. A couple things, it may be useful to measure tip weight underwater if you can, or perhaps you have.

Could happen. I guess I could use a fish scale and a string. Need to be certain anchor stays level - easy on bench. In water not so much

And also I'd love to see an anchor that has penetrated the seaweed but is now trying to drag a mass caught in the curve of the shank.

Oh, I've got hours of that footage! It always looks just as you would imagine: A giant ball of weed with an anchor hidden inside.

I wonder if there is any difference among anchors in that regard. I suspect not. I suspect they all will not bury... unless they have a really sharp knife edge attached to the upstream edge of the shank.

Yep, once they get a significant amount of weed, it is game-over, no matter the anchor. Best bet is an anchor that sets lighting fast and therefore has no time to collect much weed.

I did film the retrieval of the 45 lb. Spade that was set in a very thick weed patch. The anchor emerged from the thick carpet almost completely weed free and a load of sand/mud on the fluke. Just like magic.

Steve

Old 23-09-2020, 21:39   #499

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I tested the CQR in cobblestone yesterday. Value of CQR anchors likely to remain low.

Video in a week or two.

Steve

Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 07:30   #500

I am testing all anchors in my inventory (about 20) at the new "cobblestone" seabed.

I will publish the results in one "comparison video".

Unfortunately, I do not have a Rollbar Rocna anchor for testing.

If anyone near Port Townsend Washington has a 45lb. Rollbar Rocna, I would be most appreciative if I could borrow it for a few days.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 30-09-2020, 00:12   #501

Old 30-09-2020, 07:03   #502

Boat: Aloha 34

I always look forward to your videos Steve, and your testing really helped with my choice for a new anchor. I went with a Mantus, and have not regretted it one bit. I'm so appreciative of your talents
Old 30-09-2020, 08:29   #503

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

This is really interesting. I had pretty much decided to upgrade to a larger Spade, given it has the quickest set/reset speed and consistency and that the Excel had a few resets where it dragged a bit before biting. But seeing this test, I'm thinking maybe it's better to have an anchor that can hold in more substrates but doesn't set/reset as quick, rather than an anchor that can set/reset super quick, but can't hold in some substrates. This, in addition to how much I prefer the Excel's one piece design, good galvanization, and lower cost. Well, now I'm back on the fence.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 08:33   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I always look forward to your videos Steve, and your testing really helped with my choice for a new anchor. I went with a Mantus, and have not regretted it one bit. I'm so appreciative of your talents
Thanks Red,

Glad to have helped. Funny you should mention the Mantus because today I am filming a "bench review" of a new, "2020" 45lb. Mantus M1 anchor.

Mantus has made some small but very smart changes compared to the "2015" version that I tested previously.

Steve
Old 30-09-2020, 08:37   #505

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'm curious to see a few other anchors (particularly the Vulcan) tested in that substrate. I'd expect the Vulcan to do a little better than the Spade based on how well it performed in Steve's other tests, plus it having a little more fluke area at a given total weight (due to less dense ballast).

It seems like pretty much all of the non-rollbar modern anchors tested (Excel, Ultra, Spade, Vulcan) are quite good. The Excel and Vulcan seem like the "best buys" in my mind due to being 1 piece, not having any lead (easy to regalvanize) and being cheaper (Vulcan is 2/3 the price of the same size Spade, which pushed me to a Vulcan when I determined the Excel toe length was too long to fit my roller setup without risk of hitting the hull).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 09:09   #506

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I am considering loading up Panope with all of my 40-50 lb. anchors and going on a remote anchor test mission, with the goal of finding/testing in a hard substrate.

Does anyone know of a hard sand or other hard seabed in the North Puget Sound or San Juan Islands?

Steve
Hi Steve,

Don’t know if this is what you are looking for - but we were in Jackson Cove (in Hood Canal) this summer. We were in the NE corner and had a difficult time getting a good set, but it felt like a lot of small rocks hindering the setting. I can send you the GPS location if you decide you want to go there

Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 10:17   #507

I know that place well, Ron. I used to live about a 1/4 mile from that spot!

Never anchored there, however.

I did find a new cobblestone seabed much closer to where I am based. Sounds like Jackson cove might be similar.

Next year, when I cruise that area again, I'll check it out.

Steve
Old 30-09-2020, 10:46   #508

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
This is really interesting. I had pretty much decided to upgrade to a larger Spade, given it has the quickest set/reset speed and consistency and that the Excel had a few resets where it dragged a bit before biting. But seeing this test, I'm thinking maybe it's better to have an anchor that can hold in more substrates but doesn't set/reset as quick, rather than an anchor that can set/reset super quick, but can't hold in some substrates. This, in addition to how much I prefer the Excel's one piece design, good galvanization, and lower cost. Well, now I'm back on the fence.

I've got a 45lb Spade on a 35' sailboat and my buddy's got an Excel(don't know the weight) on his 39' sailboat. We both cruise in the PNW, where Steve does his testing, and have buddy boated numerous times. Sometimes we hang on his anchor, sometimes we hang on mine. We've never dragged, and have held in winds up to 25 knots, so I think both are great anchors. You can't go wrong with either one.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:46   #509

Old 01-10-2020, 16:22   #510

Boat: corbin39

To me the new 2020 anchor blade almost looks like it is a cast steel ? And thank you for all the reviews
B-Baysailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor