Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 12:52   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Photos of Anchors Setting

This thread contains excellent information and pictures of anchors and how they set. There is another thread that contains videos of anchors settings and that thread also contains excellent information. Here is a link to the other thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html

I took some photos today of all the anchors in our anchorage. Sorry the quality is not great. It is still too cold to dive for a wimp like me, so most have been taken from the dingy. Better pictures to come soon, but I could not wait to share the photos from my new underwater camera.

The pictures tell the story. I have included a short commentary, as I saw each of the boats drop and set the anchor, but you can judge the photos for yourself.

Just a word of caution these are only 4 photos in one anchorage. Do not jump to any conclusions on overall anchor performance based just on this small number of examples.

All about me, my mermaid and our anchors:
Mermaids, Anchors & Photography

Photo 1 showing the Mantus very well set
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	6536
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	81060  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Photo 2 this is a Steel spade well set. The boat concerned is an experienced cruiser. They dropped and set the anchor perfectly besides us in slightly deeper water, but a long scope. They gave the anchor a good pull, but perhaps not using quite as much force as we do to set anchor. Consequently the anchor is not quite as buried as the Mantus, but it still a good set and it would bury well with a bit more force.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27ABEE36-2B09-4399-9E2C-66C2245B5465.jpg
Views:	5476
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	81061  
Old 12-05-2014, 13:02   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Photo 3 a Delta poorly set. The anchor is lying on its side with only the toe dug in. The boat concerned dropped the anchor and slowly reversed back in textbook fashion. The anchor failed to set and they failed to recognise this fact dragging the anchor in a long furrow and leaving the anchor unset. This is not acceptable. This was their third try although the first two attempts were in slightly poorer setting area some distance away.

The anchor needs to be lifted and the set repeated perhaps with more scope to get the anchor to set properly. The Delta anchor normally sets reasonably well, but this is an example of a poor performance.

Despite the poor setting of the anchor this was enough to hold the boat, without dragging in the light to moderate winds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	976ADFFB-6BC4-4D8A-8B99-EAE26B47F77E.jpg
Views:	5351
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	81062   Click image for larger version

Views:	5713
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	81063  

Old 12-05-2014, 13:26   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Photo 4. A different boat with a Delta in the same anchorage. This time it is reasonably well set.This Delta was dropped on a very long scope ,which was probably the major factor in allowing the anchor to set well over the previous anchor in the same anchorage.

Sometimes an anchor will set well when the same identical technique is repeated.

I am more comfortable with an anchor that sets reliably the first time on most, or nearly all occasions.(providing the technique is adequate)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	5417
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	81064  
Old 12-05-2014, 14:50   #5

I'd show photo's of our Bruce, but usually all you see is the chain disappearing into the bottom.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 17:29   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'd show photo's of our Bruce, but usually all you see is the chain disappearing into the bottom.
But sometimes they set on their side too - one fluke skywards. I think when the bottom is harder.

This does not seem to affect their holding, nor their resetting ability though.

Bruce original 33 lbs, upgraded from a Bruce copy of 22 lbs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:12   #7

I do like my 33 lb Bruce too.
Old 12-05-2014, 18:48   #8
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
+1

A well set anchor is one you cannot see, at all - its buried.

An anchor, apparently well set (still visible) does not mean it will hold when the wind picks up, a bit of a sea develops and the wind direction varies (and or the yacht is veering). As is implied - do 'poorly' set anchors drag or do they correct themselves.

The images are excellent - it would be good (in the fullness of time) to have such images as a 'before' and then another set of images (or comments) as an 'after' subsequent to a bit of more aggression in the conditions.

Noelex - how deep is the water? good images even from the dinghy.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:48   #9

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I took some photos today of all the anchors in our anchorage. Sorry the quality is not great. It is still too cold to dive for a wimp like me, so most have been taken from the dingy. Better pictures to come soon, but I could not wait to share the photos from my new underwater camera.

The pictures tell the story. I have included a short commentary, as I saw each of the boats drop and set the anchor, but you can judge the photos for yourself.

Just a word of caution these are only 4 photos in one anchorage. Do not jump to any conclusions on overall anchor performance based just on this small number of examples.

Photo 1 showing the Mantus very well set.

Agreed Nolex.. You need to work on your anchor photography.

Photos from the surface rarely show the perspective.

What type of camera are you using?

I very much agree with checking your anchor by vision where possible. Lots to learn diving on anchors for any cruiser.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 22:22   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the comments.

The water here is clear which makes it very easy to see what is going on. I can sometimes see an anchor from the surface even without a bathoscope.

The Mantus is in 7m (20 feet) the Spade was is in about 9m (30feet) and the the two Delta anchors about 5m (15 feet).

The camera is an Olympus TGi 2. It is waterproof down to 18m on its own, but I use it with an underwater housing that is waterproof to 40m. I don't dive deeper than 18m, (about 12m is my limit) so in theory the camera should be fine without the housing. Snorkelling most days in summer I think sooner or later there is likely to be poor seal on the camera door so the extra protection of the waterproof housing is good insurance.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	2646
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	81078  
Old 12-05-2014, 23:36   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
A well set anchor is one you cannot see, at all - its buried.
I see an anchors completely burried very often when I dive in Australia. The sand here is much harder in many anchorages. This is a great test for anchors. It takes a good quality anchor to set in hard sand.

Most anchors do well in medium substrates. Very hard, very soft and weedy substrates are the conditions that really separates the good anchors from the rest.

I heard someone refer to their CQR as a "Goldilocks" anchor. It was happy only if the bed was not too hard, or soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
it would be good (in the fullness of time) to have such images as a 'before' and then another set of images (or comments) as an 'after' subsequent to a bit of more aggression in the conditions.
+1
Looking at the anchors after some stronger wind is the best comparison. I can get a pretty good idea how much reverse force someone has used by watching the angle of the chain and the length of time they keep the reverse force as they go through the setting procedure, but strong wind will set the anchors a deeper and ensures all the anchors have experienced an equivalent force. How the anchors respond to strong wind (and which boats drag) is best test. (ignoring those boats with inadequate scope etc)
Old 13-05-2014, 00:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks for the comments.

The water here is clear which makes it very easy to see what is going on. I can sometimes see an anchor from the surface even without a bathoscope.

The Mantus is in 7m (20 feet) the Spade was is in about 9m (30feet) and the the two Delta anchors about 5m (15 feet).

The camera is an Olympus TGi 2. It is waterproof down to 18m on its own, but I use it with an underwater housing that is waterproof to 40m. I don't dive deeper than 18m, (about 12m is my limit) so in theory the camera should be fine without the housing. Snorkelling most days in summer I think sooner or later there is likely to be poor seal on the camera door so the extra protection of the waterproof housing is good insurance.
Wise that you have gone down the route of getting a housing as I would never be happy with waterproof to 18m story. Many of ruggerised versions of the various cameras have been pushing up the theoretical water rating of their camera's but its best to take that to mean if you drop it in or is splashed in a dingy you can hose it down. Housing is the way to go.

Cheers
Old 13-05-2014, 02:27   #13
cruiser

Taking pictures of anchors underwater is incredibly difficult, as your images demonstrate. And you do not really know how good they are till you download them - to discover there was some nuance you saw but does not come through with the images, back out in the water

I asked about depth as you images are identically 'blue' as if they were taken early or late in the day - it does not matter, its not a beauty pageant! But you did say the water was cold I cannot think of many Australian locations where you could get a clear view of the seabed at 9m

Any idea why the Deltas both have 'tethers' attached. They are not buoyed, just lying on the seabed - so hardly easy to get at.

We are into our second camera, the first leaked (early on in the piece), the second; Pentax WG-1 (I'm not an employee, not advertising - simply advising what we use) has been giving good service (9 months now) and I think has been replaced by the WG-2.

It would be interesting, as you seem to be in the mood (and you mention the hard seabed), if you could set the Mantus, then the Rocna, then the Fortress (not necessarily in that order) same area, same conditions, same photographer.

Jonathan
Old 13-05-2014, 03:26   #14

JonJo'

even though the Pentax info says its waterproof to 10m don't take it literally. simply means it will likely survive a snorkel on the surface. Don't attempt to take it to 10m.

I don't think they make a housing for that camera.

Cheers.
Old 13-05-2014, 03:50   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
JonJo'

even though the Pentax info says its waterproof to 10m don't take it literally. simply means it will likely survive a snorkel on the surface. Don't attempt to take it to 10m.

I don't think they make a housing for that camera.

Cheers.

I do not recall what my first 'underwater' was, but early generation of the type and rated to 3m, I used it as 'just under water' and it still leaked fairly quickly. Having learnt I treat the WG 1 the same way - its snorkel proof (and does a decent job). But its cheap and 'semi-disposable' It does not have a housing. Its robust so good for use on the deck and up the mast. Its surprisingly good for close ups 'in the field'. It was never bought as being sophisticated, just point and shoot (the modern, underwater Brownie) Given that it has been replaced by Pentax with at least one update the, or my, WG 1 will look antiquated in 12 months time. There will be a better units made by someone and probably cheaper. So I have no illusions and expect to update, probably sooner, 12/24 months, rather than later.

But why do I get the impression you know a bit about all this - what's your recommendation - for decent still shots underwater (of say - anchors - to keep it 'on thread'). I for one am not interested in video (but many are) I have enough problems with stills without worrying about video.

Jonathan

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra