Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 16:49   #1456

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great to catch up on your progress...

..probably discussed before, but I missed it
..Have you chosen a Name yet?
K&Ms facebook let the cat out of the bag with the boats name.

Matt
Old 20-09-2017, 11:31   #1457

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
K&Ms facebook let the cat out of the bag with the boats name.

Matt
It was a "cathartic" experience, finally seeing the name!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 13:01   #1458

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, as long as the hessian bag is empty, and the feline long gone, for those of us who don't "do" facebook, would you please post it's name here? Thanks.

Ann
Old 20-09-2017, 22:58   #1459
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Looks like we should start a fishing competition to name that boat but each submission should be accompanied with an original cartoon....[emoji126]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 23:22   #1460

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Looks like we should start a fishing competition to name that boat but each submission should be accompanied with an original cartoon....[emoji126]
It is a tough job naming a boat. We wanted a name that would suit the boat. This one is rugged (rather than "pretty") and will live her life at sea. A short, fairly unique name that is easy to understand and pronounce on the radio is preferable.

Any suggestions? It is not too late to change our mind .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 23:30   #1461

a bit over-used, but I always did like Freyja

Also, Heimdallr or it's variant spelling Heimdal
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 00:33   #1462

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Vesper Vision

I have hooked this up on a temporary basis on land. We are on the water's edge so there are plenty of ships on collision course . This gives an opportunity to try the unit and this is my impression so far:

Firstly the software is brilliant. The dangerous targets are colour coded in two stages (orange and red) and made larger on the screen. In a cluttered waterway this makes it easy to see the ships that have collision potential. The software on the anchor alarm is also much better than is available on most chart plotters, enabling a sensitive alarm with no false positives to be set.

The unit connects easily to virtually any chart plotter, has an internal GPS aerial and also sends this information over wifi so the AIS or anchor alarm can be seen (and controlled) on tablets or smartphones. This is ideal for monitoring the anchor alarm by the bed. The wifi signal is independent of display on the unit so you can have the anchor alarm displayed on your smartphone while the unit displays AIS information. Or two ranges of AIS.

The other great feature is low power consumption. This is especially helpful when using the anchor alarm, as the unit will be on all night.

Drawbacks:

There are going to be newer, higher powered class B transponders released in the near future so if you can hold off purchase it may be sensible.

The Vesper screen is quite low definition with a poor viewing angle by modern standards. This helps contribute to the lower power consumption and the information can seen on the chart plotter or tablet in better definition, but much better screens are available.

The anchor alarm also displays distance to the anchor, bearing to the anchor, heading and depth. All great information, but apparent wind speed would also be useful when monitoring the anchor alarm. This should be a simple software change so perhaps Vesper can incorporate this in the future.

The AIS information is easily displayed on the chart plotter (just plug and play for NMEA20000, but the clever filtering information is not reproduced on the chart plotter (unless there is way to do this that I have not found). I can understand why, there are no NMEA sentences to transfer this information, but perhaps a way around this problem could be found in future. The filtered information is sent over wifi.

I will report more when I have installed the unit permanently. Vesper also sell a version without the screen and a version with no screen and no wifi.

Edit:

One other glitch I have noted concerns the wind speed alarm.

The wind speed alarm is useful when using the anchor watch. There is also a wind shift alarm, all great features.

However, there appears to be a software bug that when the windspeed drops to zero (but the anemometer is still connected to the NMEA network) an alarm sounds to inform that wind data has been "lost". There is no way of disabling this alarm message and sound, but leaving the wind speed alarm on. Once again this would easily be fixed with a software change, so hopefully Vesper will incorporate this into a future update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	156464  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 02:31   #1463
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Vesper Vision
And there was I thinking this was the new name....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 03:59   #1464

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I always liked Gladius for a metal boat. Rudius for a wooden boat. Each of those are words for swords matching the material of the boat.

I haven't come up with a good one for a plastic boat... Spork, maybe?
Old 21-09-2017, 04:50   #1465

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Power consumption is important and there is very little data from manufacturers so I will post some numbers, which may be helpful.

So @ 13.8v my Vesper Vision in receive mode (I cannot test transmit at the moment) wifi on, with an external GPS aerial is consuming 0.45A at full brightness . At 50% brightness this drops to 0.35A. Interestingly 0% brightness saves very little extra power with a consumption of 0.33A. I expected "Night mode" (a red a black display) to be lower, but it was almost exactly the same.

So if you are setting an anchor watch all night and want to save a little power turn the screen down to 50%, but there is little point going lower, unless the aim is preserve your night vision.

These numbers are very good. Using the Vesper instead of a typical medium sized modern chart plotter for the anchor alarm will save roughly around 1A for most installations. So overnight something like 10 AHrs less (for a 12v system). Older or larger chartplotters often have higher consumption so the savings will be greater.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 05:10   #1466

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
It is a tough job naming a boat. We wanted a name that would suit the boat. This one is rugged (rather than "pretty") and will live her life at sea. A short, fairly unique name that is easy to understand and pronounce on the radio is preferable.

Any suggestions? It is not too late to change our mind .

SWL
Neptune likes modest, and even cute names. The opposite of Titanic. The gods should be pleased and amused, and put into the mood of sparing you, in time of crisis.

Should also be short and clear on the VHF in my opinion.

You might think about animals you like -- their names in different languages. Just no predators.

An Oyster I looked seriously at (55' ketch) was called "Delf" -- dolphin in Gaelic. I liked that name.

Hedgehog in Latin is "Eris" -- isn't that just lovely? I'm sure Neptune loves hedgehogs. In Russian it's "Yozhik"; in German "Igel".

Deer in Greek is ελάφι. Very pretty, and a deer or a horse are nice avatars for sailing yachts, I think -- graceful, moving, and not predators. In Latin, Arietes. I like Dashew's "Wind Horse", but that's a deity (from Kazakhstan), and I'm not sure deities are good.

A little humor is good in a boat name, I think. Vagabond, vagrant, and so forth are overused, but how about BOMZh? or Bomzh? Soviet acronym for a vagrant -- the letters standing for Without Definite Place of Residence Perfect boat name, I think.

The possibilities are endless -- it's a hard job as you say.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:03   #1467

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Neptune likes modest, and even cute names. The opposite of Titanic. The gods should be pleased and amused, and put into the mood of sparing you, in time of crisis.

Should also be short and clear on the VHF in my opinion.

You might think about animals you like -- their names in different languages. Just no predators.

An Oyster I looked seriously at (55' ketch) was called "Delf" -- dolphin in Gaelic. I liked that name.

Hedgehog in Latin is "Eris" -- isn't that just lovely? I'm sure Neptune loves hedgehogs. In Russian it's "Yozhik"; in German "Igel".

Deer in Greek is ελάφι. Very pretty, and a deer or a horse are nice avatars for sailing yachts, I think -- graceful, moving, and not predators. In Latin, Arietes. I like Dashew's "Wind Horse", but that's a deity (from Kazakhstan), and I'm not sure deities are good.

A little humor is good in a boat name, I think. Vagabond, vagrant, and so forth are overused, but how about BOMZh? or Bomzh? Soviet acronym for a vagrant -- the letters standing for Without Definite Place of Residence Perfect boat name, I think.

The possibilities are endless -- it's a hard job as you say.
Elafi would have to be my favourite of the above. I explored lots of Greek names (we spent so long in Greece that this was a good connection), and I also checked out the word for deer or a species of deer in a host of languages. The problem with most of them was either common usage or simply that the name was not recognisable in English and would have to be spelled out phonetically or constantly explained, which quickly grows tiring.

Eris rolls off the tongue beautifully, but I can't think of much that ties hedgehogs with this boat or with us though.
Edited to add: Eris is also the Greek goddess of discord.

Bomzh is out . The meaning is appropriate, but the name itself has no appeal. A similar Aussie word is Swagman, which is a common boat name in Australia. Too common though.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:42   #1468

Vaer is Dutch for seafarer ...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:45   #1469
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Sticking with the Greek mythology link to names. I have always liked Prometheus for a metal boat, thinking of fire and the foundry process as a major gift to the world.

I am of course also enamoured with 'Pelagic'. [emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 15:20   #1470

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brizo

Brizo, the goddess.

Though, if you google just the word Brizo, the first information provided is about bath and kitchen faucets, showers and accessories.