Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29   #1

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
Titan anchor shackle

The local chandler carries Titan anchor shackles which I looked at but noticed made in China. I could not find a review via google. They look somewhat like Crosby's which I would buy. Anyone use Titans? ... thanks
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 22:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Titan anchor shackle

The Titan branded ones are exactly the same as all of the Green Pin knock-offs out of china. Here we can buy 4 or 5 yellow pin versions and they all have different names on them and some have no names.

It'll be fine if you've sized it correctly. Those knock-offs a have been around for a long time and are used extensively but the cranes who get intensively looked at by a multitude of Health and Safety people. If there was the slightest sign they had issues they wouldn't be allowed to be used.

You have the genuine Green Pin out of the Netherlands all the rest are chinese made knock-off and many are branded to lots of differing names.

Just by the cheapest and ignore the brand name on them.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 01:41   #3

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
... Just by the cheapest and ignore the brand name on them.
That might be reasonable advice for some items but anchor shackles? Or didn't I get the joke?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 07:10   #4

Boat: Kaufman 47

Out here in the Gulf oil field, no crane, sling, or cargo hardware is made in China because it's unsafe. Save a little bit longer if you have to but buy Crosby or American or anything but Asian.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 07:14   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

This may help you deside on a safe Shackle.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1174022
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 07:24   #6

pirate Re: Titan anchor shackle

^^^^^^^^

From Rocna site, note how they cover their butt in the last sentence:

We recommend the use of tested shackles, especially on anchor sizes of above the Rocna 15 (33 lb). As with chain, galvanized models represent the best economy. Stainless steel shackles are popular but care with regard to quality should be taken.
A forged type is preferable, and cast versions should always be tested. To minimize the 'weakest link' factor, a 'high load' or 'heavy duty' level of strength is preferable. High tensile grades of steel of 600 MPa or higher (G6 / G8) are available.
Some high quality shackles designed for high load have colored pins as a form of branding. This is just paint on top of the galvanizing. It will wear off with use, but this is no issue.

A great deal of low quality product comes out of Asia, and extra care should be taken. However, some Chinese shackles are reputable and reliably rated.

Old 20-06-2014, 15:48   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
That might be reasonable advice for some items but anchor shackles? Or didn't I get the joke?
No joke but I can understand your 'Whot the!!!!'. Those are one item where the pricey ones and the cheap ones are the same ones. We go thru, play with and see 1000's a year and I've yet to see one fail when it shouldn't. If you like a bit extra buy a genuine Green Pin.

A LOT of those shackles are branded or painted up or both and then sold as something wizz bang flash for a lot more coin than they should be. Those shackles are cheap to buy, china bangs them out in the millions a month. One for a 10mm chain costs me less than US$1 to buy and ship 1/2 way around the world to my place. I've seen the same ones being sold for $15 odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
From Rocna site, note how they cover their butt in the last sentence
One does wonder why when the bit they put either side will fail long before the shackle even starts gets pushed. Maybe if you wanted to 'suggest' your that much better than everyone else you'd say the gear by it needs to be flash. Don't forget they aren't going to write anything that would suggest they aren't the best and the knowledge base is more a marketing tool than it is a home of clean unbiased info, as you'd expect.

By far more Rocnas and every other anchor would be connected to the chain by a bog std untested commercial shackle and we see very few failures, and most of those are brought on by other usually extreme things. But personally I'd use a hi-load as they do have some degree of checking so while I'd get the extra strength that's not what I'm looking for, it's that product checking I want.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:47   #8

Boat: Oyster 66

I really wouldn't mess around and save a few $s. This is an item which has to reliably perform and for the sake of really very little extra money you can get a product from quality manufacturers. Crosby or Van Beest for example. I went for the Crosby high tensile version.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 18:36   #9

pirate Re: Titan anchor shackle

One thing I don't mind paying extra for is forging rather than casting.

This is not my area of expertise but but but ... I like to sleep at night when I can.

Campbell imports a 5/16" shackle for a buck, and the forged and tempered one is $3 something. My home is on one end of the line. I'll ante up the extra dough.
Old 20-06-2014, 19:00   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Not too much trouble getting load rated hardware for smaller anchors & chain. It gets more difficult and important with heavier stuff. I researched this for quite a while before we bought this 14mm anchor forerunner with D-shackle & oval pin. The swivel is unbreakable over the roller or on a fouled anchor. The oval pin caries much higher load than a round pin. The whole rig is about 180 dollars from Washington Chain. Tell their tech guy what you intend to hook to and they will sample the connections in their yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FORERUNNER.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	83486  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 23:50   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I really wouldn't mess around and save a few $s.
+1
I had a look at a Titan brand shackle a few months ago. The cut on the threads and the fit of the pin were not particularly impressive and I did not end up buying it even though it was only cheap and was to be used as a spare.

The genuine Green pin has been the best made galvanised shackle I have used. The Crosby shackle I now use appears in between the two.

I suspect this makes little practical difference, but shackles are very cheap components compared to what they holding. They are also frequently subject to unfair side loads. Shackle failure is quite rare even with the no name brands generally used, however, the consequences of failure can be serious. If a shackle breaks without an anchor, you will drag very quickly.

Having just watched a boat almost badly damaged from a swivel failure, I am probably more sensitive to the consequences than I should be, but I think it is a component that should be purchased looking for the best quality, rather than the lowest price.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 08:02   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Not too much trouble getting load rated hardware for smaller anchors & chain. It gets more difficult and important with heavier stuff. I researched this for quite a while before we bought this 14mm anchor forerunner with D-shackle & oval pin. The swivel is unbreakable over the roller or on a fouled anchor. The oval pin caries much higher load than a round pin. The whole rig is about 180 dollars from Washington Chain. Tell their tech guy what you intend to hook to and they will sample the connections in their yard.
I don't see any working load or BL listed on their website. Is this galvanized? How much?

Tags
anchor