Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 13:13   #1

CQR Anchor Shackle Size

I recently acquired a 45lb CQR anchor and have been searching marine supply stores for a shackle that will fit. The shaft of the CQR is about an inch wide where the shackle would connect. However, when I found a shackle that was 1" internal width to connect to the anchor then the pin was too large for the eye of the anchor. Any suggestions? I know someone out there also has this anchor and I would really like to know where I can find an appropriate shackle.

Thanks.
Patriot_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 14:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: CQR Anchor Shackle Size

What is the diameter of the hole in the shank that the pin would go through?

Also, don't buy a shackle made in China for an application that is this critical.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

The answer to 'what sized shackle?' is always "the biggest that will fit the chain'. In many cases you may need 2 as what fits the chain can often not fit on the anchor at the same time. No point fitting to the anchor only to find it won't fit the chain or ends up being smaller hence a lot weaker than the chain.

98% of shackles sold are non tested ex asia. Personally I'd go for a green pin but again you'll probably need 2 as they are quite small when looking at the physical size.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 22:09   #4

Boat: Koch Muiden, 37 foot ketch

Go for the biggest tested galvanised shackle, or shackles as mentioned above. Avoid a stainless steel one and certainly not a stainless steel swivel. I have had one fail - a FORCE rated stainless steel swivel and the forces placed on them as the anchor hits the roller and rotates is pretty huge. Also, stainless steel does not fare well underwater and crevice corrosion (I think thats what its called) will result in failure. Luckily I found the swivel in pieces on the foredeck just before I anchored - and the night after a 25 knot blow in a coral lagoon.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 11:43   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I think with some more shopping around at rigging supply stores you'll find what you need. The size of the hole in your anchor and the width of your shank are the determining factors. Carry those figures with you when you to the rigging shops or you call around to them. Hardware stores or even West Marine stores may not have what you need but rigging shops will.
kind regards,
Old 13-08-2012, 12:11   #6

Boat: Boereal 44

Last time I was in West Marine shopping shackles they only had China made shackles. If I remember right Fisheries supply only had China made shackles. Had to go to a commercial marine supply store to buy US and I think Danish made shackles. Like said above do not buy China made shackles they can not be trusted.
Good luck in your search.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 17:57   #7
Marine Service Provider

Swivels are fine but like anything there are good and there are bad ones. Force is a chinese made brand and the exact same as quite a few other brands, which all come out of the same factory. They are one of the better lookers but sadly one of the worse structurally, so what Charon experienced doesn't surprise me. Sad to say but he's one of way to many to have that same issue with those ones.

Stainless is also fine in a 'anchoring' system but not a 'mooring' system. Again that's well proven. To become an issue it needs to stay submerged for a while continuosly. Up and down as happens with anchoring is fine. But again it can pay to watch for real stainless and asian stainless, the real stuff is the better choice. The main issue SS has is how it can be messed with by problems on the boat like stray electricity drifting around, that doesn't happen to steel, it can but nothing like the degree it does with SS.

For the SS to go bad it can't breath i.e. don't leave submersed continuously. And to get dissimilar metals you need an electrolyte i.e. salt water. Anchor up on your bow means the SS can breath and no electrolyte so all is good.

Most shackles are now made in china. Most of the ones that aren't are stainless or genuine Green Pins.

As a general rule rigging shops tend to be more china than a good chandler, or they are here but it maybe different where you are. If you have the chance go to a place that supplys the big tower cranes of the 'over head lifting' industry. They have massive safety restrictions which are generally very well enforced so they will have to be more anal about the gear they sell than others.

I buy and sell around 50-60,000 shackles, assorted, and around 1000 swivels, assorted, a year. I must admit it is very hard for a boater to know just what they are being offered a lot of the time as most selling them have no idea what they are selling. Also the level of marketing does mean the truth is often a casualty.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 12:11   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I believe that most, if not all, of the Canadian shackle manufacturer Crosby's products are North American made.

My experience with them over the years has been good.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 13:00   #9
Eternal Member

I've used a 45lb CQR for 23 years.

You don't do it with a single shackle. You buy the largest shackle which will fit the shank on the CQR, and attach it.

Then, you buy the largest shackle which will fit your chain, fit it to the shackle on the anchor, then connect it to the chain.

There's no need for a swivel. Never, ever, needed one with either all chain or rope/chain rodes. Also, they are prone to failure...why add a possible point of failure to a critical piece of equipment?

As noted above, all shackles are not made equal. Don't buy those at West Marine or most other marine outfitters. They're of uncertain quality, to say the least.

Buy Columbus-McKinnon, or Crosby shackles. Google them. They're well worth the extra cost, to be absolutely sure you have a quality product.

An anchor and it's rode are no place to fool around trying to save pennies. Buy the very best you can find.

IMHO,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 13:01   #10

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

A CQR anchor usually has a welded loop like this to attach a shackle to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cqr.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	44892

Your shackle would go around this loop with the shackle pin through the end chain link. If your CQR is missing that welded loop, finding a screw ping shackle that size might be a challenge.

I have bought shackles that match or exceed chain WLL from these folks. Maybe they will have something that will work.

Forged Steel Rigging Shackles from WRS

Tags
anchor, cqr, size