Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 10:40   #16

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: New Windlass - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have only seen a few Lighthouse windlasses, and yes they have all been horizontal although I believe they will custom produce anything to order.

BTW if fitting a bigger anchor winch, don't underestimate the size increase. Measure and check you have room.

I replaced the anchor winch on our old boat with a Muir 3500 so I am familiar with the overall size. I specified the next size up, a 4000lb model, for new boat (this time a Maxwell). I was surprised how much bigger the 4000 model was over the previous 3500, for only, on paper, 500lbs more lift, although the manufacturer's specifications are not necessarily directly comparable.

Sheesh! That thing is MASSIVE!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 10:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I have a Lighthouse 1500 with a slight leak on it I'd sell you but it is horizontal, which I think all Lighthouses are.

I have had great luck with Lofrans windlasses. They have a large range and an excellent reputation. They are also made in Italy and you might have them look at your damaged one. With 1/2" chain you certainly want more than a 1500 or 2000. This is one piece of equipment you want to work when you need it.
Thanks. The existing windlass was a Lofrans Albatros, about 30 years old. I can't complain about it - it worked every time for us until an Albanian ferry yanked our anchor chain backwards through it, destroying the internals. Replacing with another Lofrans is definitely on the table. So far I am primarily considering them and Muir.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 16-10-2017, 10:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
You might look at IDEAL WINDLASS,s. They tend to under rate their sizes (not over rate) and they are very reliable, but also very pricey. They have been making windlass,s since WW2. Just a suggestion. ______Grant.
Thanks. I sent Schaefer an e-mail last Friday to get more information about their product line. The website is pretty general and doesn't give a lot of detail.

The response was pretty poor. I received a document "How to Identify Your Windlass" which is for folks who already own an Ideal windlass but are not sure which model. This document has physical dimensions but no specs at all. The e-mail did say that build time was 8-12 weeks. This is probably going to take them off the list of alternatives.

Too bad since they have a great reputation.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 16-10-2017, 10:50   #19
cruiser

The gearbox just quit on our Lewmar Ocean Concept 3 windlass, so we're upsizing 2 sizes to a new Lewmar V5 windlass normally seen on a 60ft Oyster. It's better have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Plus, it's easier on the windlass.

We really want the Lewmar V6, but it's too big and won't fit and besides we, can carry a spare motor and gearbox for the V5 and still spend only half what it would cost for a V6.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 10:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
Steve, we had our Lofrans fail in the gearbox last year. Vendor could not believe it and listened to it on the fone to be sure we were on the same page. As it was an original install on our 1990 GB, we elected to replace with the same unit. Cheap? No. Same rugged construction as the original - yes, plus a better cover in the aluminum over the painted original. Very happy with the unit.
Thanks! Good info. As I said on some other recent post, the Lofrans unit is one I am seriously considering.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 16-10-2017, 11:06   #21

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

The chain counter works on a magnet principle, so it doesn't matter if one free wheels or powers down, as it counts the rotation's, up or down.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 11:41   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Sheesh! That thing is MASSIVE!
The size of the gearbox etc certainly inspires confidence.

3500 lb anchor winches from most manufacturers are usually listed in the "pleasure boat range" whereas 4000 lbs models are listed in the "commercial range". I wonder if this transition involves different standards of expected use and duty cycles, hence the increase in size? If so, this should translate to an improvement in durability .

Or is this a difference between Muir and Maxwell? Muir make beefy anchor winches that seem very robust relative to most of the competition so this would be surprising.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:17   #23

Noelex - I think you are right in thinking it is because of the "Commercial" designation of the 4000 pound units. The 3500 pound Muir and Maxwell units are pretty close in weight (101 and 106 pounds, respectively), so I don't think the 4000 pound Maxwell would be that much different from the Muir. Pure speculation on my part - I don't really know.

But your 4000 pound Maxwell windlass is a hoss!

Cheers!

Steve
Old 16-10-2017, 12:21   #24

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

The US Navy keeps track of the amount of anchor chain deployed by painting a link red at a measured spacing. Count the number of red links as they go by and you know your deployment. Simple and reliable system.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:26   #25

Paul S - Right. We have our chain painted in 25 foot increments and it works well for us. I was just exploring the idea of also putting in a chain counter at the helm and was wondering about other's experiences.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 16-10-2017, 13:21   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
The US Navy keeps track of the amount of anchor chain deployed by painting a link red at a measured spacing. Count the number of red links as they go by and you know your deployment. Simple and reliable system.
The US navy usually isn't single handing! They always have a swabbie they can assign to stand in the chain flats and count red links. We yotties often do not, hence the usefulness of a counter.

Jim
Old 16-10-2017, 13:55   #27

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have had an electronic chain counter rigged for 20 years, and can't imagine anchoring without it and an electric windlass. As a single-hander I found it difficult and a bit dangerous to run back and forth between the tiller and anchor windlass while dropping the hook (manual windlass, no counter previously). Now all is peaceful...

A magnet is installed on the gypsy and a reed switch on the case beside the magnet. It works very well but is not perfectly accurate; once recovered the reading may not be right at zero. I don't know why. It is within a few feet though so it is great for knowing the scope, when the anchor is off the bottom, and when it is nearing the roller. Some windlasses come fitted with the magnet and switch, others have a socket on the gypsy and mounting points for the switch. Some may require drilling a hole for the magnet and small holes for mounting the switch. My S-L Horizon 1000 had a round hole for the magnet, two pilot holes for the switch screws, and a hole plugged with easily-removed silicon to run the wires for the switch.

BTW the Horizon 1500 was the same windlass, except a different motor (internal) with different gears to mate to the rest of the drive system. Not enough to justify the price difference IMHO.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:17   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Steve, I recently purchased a Muir windlass. It developed a slight problem within a week or so and Muir bent over backwards in order to get it sorted out. I was impressed by their after sales service and willingness and speed to resolve what really a minor problem. Minor to me but took considerable effort on their side to machine a new thrust washer over night and deliver it early the next day some 50ks away in person to ensure it all worked properly.

No affiliation to them except as a very happy customer.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:54   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

I've gone through a few different windlasses. A couple of Lewmars, a Lofrans and my latest, a year old, a Maxwell. The Lewmars would be fine as long as you never used them anywhere near salt water. The Lofrans was a quality unit. The Maxwell RC10 was a good price and seems like a pretty decent unit. I use it on my 10m(3/8) chain and 74lb Spade. It had some teething issues, where I had to open up the control box and put the nuts back on for the solenoid straps. They had worked loose and fallen off, clearly not assembled properly at the factory. I also lost the circlip that holds the shaft key into the motor. It somehow fell off. All working well now.
Old 17-10-2017, 00:13   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Steve, I recently purchased a Muir windlass. It developed a slight problem within a week or so and Muir bent over backwards in order to get it sorted out. I was impressed by their after sales service and willingness and speed to resolve what really a minor problem. Minor to me but took considerable effort on their side to machine a new thrust washer over night and deliver it early the next day some 50ks away in person to ensure it all worked properly.

No affiliation to them except as a very happy customer.
Thanks! Glad to hear they were very responsive.

Cheers!

Steve

Tags
wind, windlass