Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 00:19   #31

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: New Windlass - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I've gone through a few different windlasses. A couple of Lewmars, a Lofrans and my latest, a year old, a Maxwell. The Lewmars would be fine as long as you never used them anywhere near salt water. The Lofrans was a quality unit. The Maxwell RC10 was a good price and seems like a pretty decent unit. I use it on my 10m(3/8) chain and 74lb Spade. It had some teething issues, where I had to open up the control box and put the nuts back on for the solenoid straps. They had worked loose and fallen off, clearly not assembled properly at the factory. I also lost the circlip that holds the shaft key into the motor. It somehow fell off. All working well now.
Thanks, Paul. It's always irritating when problems occur with a new install. Did you contact Maxwell when you were troubleshooting the windlass, and if so, how was the customer support? Or were these things you fixed yourself and didn't bother calling about?

Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 01:28   #32

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks, Paul. It's always irritating when problems occur with a new install. Did you contact Maxwell when you were troubleshooting the windlass, and if so, how was the customer support? Or were these things you fixed yourself and didn't bother calling about?

Thanks!

Steve
We were in Fiji and I was able to get a local machine shop to cut me a new shaft key and source a new stainless circlip. So no support email. One day I'm sure I will find the old shaft key deep in the anchor locker.

The issue with the solenoid took a little diagnosing time, but it was a quick easy fix.
Old 17-10-2017, 02:01   #33

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44

+1 on the extra capcity for unlikely scenarios. Just last week the starter died on the engine, which lead to poor anchorage and poor anchor setting, then got blown out in a midnight squall and got blown into deep water and had to dump 100m of chain + rhode to stop the boat. My ancient Lofrans got it all up when things calmed down the next morning, which was nice since we were a bit tattered.
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 07:08   #34

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Steve, I'm sure you have already thought of this, but it is important to make sure you have the proper size wire and fusing/breaker for a bigger windlass. Your existing wiring and breaker may not be big enough for a step up, or it might be fine too.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 07:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Steve, I'm sure you have already thought of this, but it is important to make sure you have the proper size wire and fusing/breaker for a bigger windlass. Your existing wiring and breaker may not be big enough for a step up, or it might be fine too.
Roger that. I have a request in to Heinemann for the trip curves for my existing breaker to determine if I will need to replace it. I have not yet done the voltage drop calc, but will do so. The existing wire is 1/0, but it is a fairly long run. I have not yet measured the two way length. There is not a separate battery forward, only the house bank.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 17-10-2017, 07:49   #36

Steve,

Referring to our previous correspondence, I was wondering whether you have been able to retain the Albatros drum when dismantling the windlass
edventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 12:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by edventure View Post
Steve,

Referring to our previous correspondence, I was wondering whether you have been able to retain the Albatros drum when dismantling the windlass
Actually, good timing. With the help of a friend a few boats away, I was able to remove the drum and gypsy (finally) today. Our drum is different from the exploded drawing that I have - it is one piece cast aluminum.

Tomorrow I hope to remove the gearbox and determine which parts are destroyed and need replacement. If the windlass is not repairable then this drum can be yours. But I am still not quite to that point yet. I am still pursuing parallel paths - repair or replace. It depends on what parts are broken and if replacements are available.

I will keep you up to date. Cheers!

Steve
Old 17-10-2017, 12:53   #38
cruiser

You're not alone, I just ordered a new Lewmar V5 to replace our Lewmar Concept 3 which broke down last month. The install will be in April.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 12:58   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You're not alone, I just ordered a new Lewmar V5 to replace our Lewmar Concept 3 which broke down last month. The install will be in April.
Sorry to hear that! Question - why did you choose to stay with Lewmar? I assume you compared them with other models, what was it that helped you make your decision? I only ask since some of the other posters sorta hammered Lewmar windlasses. No criticism from me, I have Lewmar winches and blocks all over the boat.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 17-10-2017, 14:59   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Sorry to hear that! Question - why did you choose to stay with Lewmar? I assume you compared them with other models, what was it that helped you make your decision? I only ask since some of the other posters sorta hammered Lewmar windlasses. No criticism from me, I have Lewmar winches and blocks all over the boat.

Cheers!

Steve
Limited space to install without lots of additional work, and the Lewmar dealer was having a nearly 40% off end of season sale, so I was able to keep the total cost below $4,000. The one I wanted was over $10,000, but for the discounted price I can keep three extra motors and gearboxes onboard, but I won't.

The Lewmar Concept 3 lasted 16 years, the one I purchased was two sizes up. This can easily get ridiculous.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:00   #41
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I probably wouldn't purchase a Lofrans X3 windlass again. I had one installed two years ago and the motor went out this year. Because I didn't have a receipt from the distributor and the install hadn't been registered, they didn't warranty it.

But even more that the loss of 1200 euro for the motor, the problem is you can't crank up the chain by hand. It's nearly impossible and even the directions say so. That's just not right.
Old 17-10-2017, 18:19   #42

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
But even more that the loss of 1200 euro for the motor, the problem is you can't crank up the chain by hand. It's nearly impossible and even the directions say so. That's just not right.
That is one of the things I liked the best about the Muir when we broke a part on it this summer. It was a no brainer to just insert a long winch handle into the wind up hole and crank away. As long as the pawl retainer is assembled correctly (it can be put in one of two ways), with a longish winch handle, it really isn't onerous.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:34   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
New Windlass - Questions

I think to size a windlass weight of the anchor and chain isn’t really all that relevant. Or said another way a windlass that is sized to only lift the anchor and chain may not be enough windlass.
I have a 40 Kg Rocna and 5/16” chain.
My VWC 1500 will easily raise the anchor and over 100’ of chain. I have not had the anchor down in deeper water.
However in 10’ of water with a heaping shovel full of mud if you will, raising the anchor strains it. It comes up, but you can tell it’s working to do it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 19:05   #44

Boat: Grand Banks 32

I have had Lofrans Tigres windlasses on my last two boats -- boat about 17,000 to 20,000 pounds and have found them to be pretty bulletproof. You might need to go up to the next size, but I doubt you could go wrong with Lofrans. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. A year from now, you won't remember that you spent some extra dollars to get the best quality.
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 19:55   #45

Boat: Lagoon 450

All good comments above. Let me add one. DO NOT BUY A QUICK WINDLASS!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass