Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 16:19   #16

Boat: Haida 26 "Running Scared"
re: Delta Copy Anchor Doesn't Work

Note how it sits on its side with the point in the air. I think it will do the same under water. There is a plate welded to the triangular point, probably for extra weight there. When I drag it on land, with pull point on the ground, it slides on its side only. Point never touches down. Again I expect it does the same under water.

Thanks to all for responding.
Michael Conway-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:20   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Well, it definitely is not a CQR and not a true Lewmar Delta. Unless Lewmar has started making cheap copies of its own anchor models, it is not a Lewmar brand of anchor.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:27   #18

The bottom is wrong. The underside.

Real Deltas don't have as much of the flat going as far back from the tip as your junker does. There is more fluke and less flat on a real one.

Honestly, why the heck would you buy an imitation Delta? The real thing is quite a reasonable price.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:38   #19

Anchor Selection 101 includes good discussions of various system selections and pictures of new generation anchors on bowsprits both short and extended Roll bar anchors on bow roller Rocna Flix

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

I had a Hunter 32 drag down onto me with its Delta and continued to drag all over an anchorage I frequently use. While it seemed small for the boat, I do not know its real size. I use a Rocna 10, good on my boat for up to 42 knots. He dragged in 20 knots!!!!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:43   #20

Stu also has a point. I've only dragged (a little) once in my life and it was with a delta in slimy, loose, gooey mud in the Chesapeake. This was during a storm that popped some windows out of skyscrapers in nyc ay the same time. Squall line wind was off the charts.

It held everywhere else just fine for years, full time. Then again, so did my old CQR.

These days, I'm on an 80lbs Manson Supreme. It seems to be doing the trick.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:48   #21

Boat: Haida 26 "Running Scared"

I found the receipt. "10KG DELTA COPY" $84 (Canadian). My memory says "Delta by Lewmar". If wrong, I eat it. (My memory, not the anchor.)
Michael Conway-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:52   #22

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

My Delta was a genuine Lewmar Delta 44 lbs. It dragged in mud. It failed to set in sand and gravel, or sand and shells. Since I switched to a Rocna I've anchored in all of the same locations and it never failed to set and never dragged. My wife refers to it as the "Rocna of Gibraltar!"

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 17:05   #23

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
ion.

Could your anchor be bent? (possibly defective manufacture). It happens. Many anchors won't set if their shank is bent even a few degrees.

Those CQR's never had a chance.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 17:09   #24

And

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Why Swivels are a bad idea Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 17:28   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
And

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Why Swivels are a bad idea Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels
I did not catch from that why swivels don't work. For one thing lots of boats don't use any rope at all. Also not sure it's all about chain twist. The swivel is more compact and more sophisticated than 2 shackles. It's not the swivel's fault that people don't know how to attach them.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 17:51   #26

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Conway-Brown View Post
I tried to post a photo and lost my reply. I'll try again.
Anchor has no markings, just a paper tag long gone. It weighs 10 kg (22 pounds). I do allow for bow height in my scope calculations. And yes, I do expect Lewmar to respond, especially if I am mistaken. That is common courtesy. I will take the anchor back to the chandler I bought it from to be certain what it is. If mistaken, Lewmar gets an honest and heartfelt apology. Meanwhile, shame on Lewmar for not responding. Anchor is not bent. It has never had to hold any force because it always dragged.
The pictures you posted are not a Delta anchor made by Lewmar. You can see what a Delta looks like here:

LEWMAR Delta Fast-Set Anchors | West Marine

A Delta has two deflections in the shank and the pictures posted show only one back toward the flukes and not one in the middle of the shank.

It appears you bought a used copy of a Delta anchor. I have no idea who made it.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 18:01   #27
cruiser

Looks to me like you have a genuine piece of crap. Buy a decent anchor, like one of the excellent new generation types.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 23:29   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

While now it's obvious that this itsn't a Delta, Lewmar does make another anchor which is "Delta'ish", called the DTX http://www.lewmar.com/node/11599
It looks like they only make the DTX in stainless. But if memory serves, they used to make it in a galvanized version also, & in a variety of sizes.
That said, there are plenty of knock off Delta designs out there, some even made by reputable to semi-reputable companies.

I had one for a short while, about 2 decades back, made by a well known company in Anacortes, WA.
It was a bastard to set, even under the best of circumstances. And when I sent it back, they said that it was made incorrectly, with several sections of the shank being either too long or too short. Thus, greatly altering it's pull geometry, & consequently, it's abllity to set.
They geve me a full refund, including shipping, with zero hassle.

Which leads to the bottom line. Buy from a brand name company, with good quality, well known products, & good customer support. Regarding which, Lewmar's poor at 2 out of 3 of same.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 04:47   #29

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Conway-Brown View Post
I found the receipt. "10KG DELTA COPY" $84 (Canadian). My memory says "Delta by Lewmar". If wrong, I eat it. (My memory, not the anchor.)

Yep, and the pics confirm it's not a Lewmar Delta. (FWIW, the 16kg/35lb one I just sold was older, marked Simpson-Lawrence and also quotes a high holding power certification on the label.)

The underside of the toe on a real Delta has a lead weight, which helps setting. Given that's missing on yours, and given the shank bend angles on yours are different, I'd say it's not even a "Delta copy."

-Chris
Old 17-11-2015, 06:20   #30

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
----
Used a Delta for years. Better and less expensive than CQR, but not as good as my current Rocna.
----
I had the same experience(s).

Over the years I've seen a number of people with knockoffs of both CQRs and Deltas. In both cases the copies did not work as well as the originals.

Tags
anchor, lewmar