Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 12:54   #1

Boat: Haida 26 "Running Scared"
Delta Copy Anchor Doesn't Work

I bought an anchor called Delta by Lewmar that does not set. I have dragged it slowly astern on 110 feet of chain numerous times without it catching. The point does not touch down, it drags on its side. I've emailed Lewmar several times, but they don't respond. Has anyone had any experience with this anchor or Lewmar? Neither seem to work.
Michael Conway-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:58   #2

re: Delta Copy Anchor Doesn't Work

I have found that anchor to be the easiest of any to set. (Not so for resetting itself if the wind shifts after anchoring). Perhaps your bottom conditions are all rock? What's your anchoring procedure?
I have snorkeled these anchors and they almost always stand upright and set fast. however, all this was in the sand bottoms of the carribean.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 13:00   #3

Boat: Catalina 387

All you ever need to know about anchors, including the Delta that you bought.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 13:19   #4

Anchor technique is to lower anchor to bottom, put engine in slow reverse, let out full scope (usually 5 or 6 to one) and snub. Anchor keeps dragging. I pulled it all the way across Cadboro Bay eight times, over a mile, it never caught once. Ditto everywhere. This is not a Delta, but a similar copy. My Fortress I replaced it with works everytime, first time. The Lewmar always sits on its side and the point does not touch down. You can see it on the hard when you handle it. You can toss it about and it always lands and sits on its side with the point in the air. Lewmar is incommunicado about it.
Old 16-11-2015, 13:33   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I started a thread a couple of years ago titled "The Delta failed us again". You are not alone in having a Delta fail to set or fail to hold. The thread mentioned above about photos of anchors underwater is the most informative information on anchors and anchoring I've found anywhere. I bought a Rocna. Problem solved!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:02   #6

Copy? Delta is a brand name for an anchor made by Lewmar. There are Delta copies made by other companies. Are you sure this is genuine Lewmar Delta?

If it is, a few possibilities:

Are you sure you have the scope calculations right? Delta's are notorious for not working well on short scope (3:1). Be sure to include the height of your bow in the calculation.

Could your anchor be bent? (possibly defective manufacture). It happens. Many anchors won't set if their shank is bent even a few degrees.

Most anchors have a bottom type that they don't like - although some of the new gen anchors are more forgiving. What's the bottom like?

The Delta is not the easiest anchor to set (although easier than a CQR). I once had a Delta but switched to a newer design.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:03   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Does Lewmar make a copy of the Lewmar Delta? This doesn't seem likely - are you sure yours isn't a Lewmar CQR instead?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:08   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Out of interest, what size/weight is this "Delta" anchor?
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:24   #9

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

When I see boats try to set a Delta along side of me or up wind, I move and reset my gear. I've seen countless Delta anchors drag in minimal wind conditions. ‼️⚓️
Buy a new anchor....
Old 16-11-2015, 14:30   #10
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

I use a Lewmar Delta 35 lbs. I replaced the older 22 lbs standard anchor of my Catalina 320 and couldn't be happier. I use it with 45 feet of chain + rode. It sets at the first try in 9 out of 10 times. And I use it while singlehanding so ease of set up is important for me.

The bottom here in SF bay is all mud though, from what I understand it is best for mud bottoms.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:30   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Conway-Brown View Post
Anchor technique is to lower anchor to bottom, put engine in slow reverse, let out full scope (usually 5 or 6 to one) and snub. Anchor keeps dragging. I pulled it all the way across Cadboro Bay eight times, over a mile, it never caught once. Ditto everywhere. This is not a Delta, but a similar copy. My Fortress I replaced it with works everytime, first time. The Lewmar always sits on its side and the point does not touch down. You can see it on the hard when you handle it. You can toss it about and it always lands and sits on its side with the point in the air. Lewmar is incommunicado about it.

"This is not a Delta, but a similar copy." Do you really expect a manufacturer to support something that they didn't make ?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

"This is not a Delta, but a similar copy." Do you really expect a manufacturer to support something that they didn't make ?
LOL

I had a Delta for the first 4 summers and hardly ever dragged. It's probably the OP's anchoring technique whether its a Delta or just a copy
Old 16-11-2015, 15:26   #13

I have a real delta 44# for the last 8 years. It has dragged on occasion, but I put this down to my stupidity. At the time of a sudden wind shift with very high winds, pulled the anchor out and took off only reset after starting the engine and slowing the boat down.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 15:58   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Delta has a big chunk of lead in the point. Might want to compare yours to the real McCoy.

Used a Delta for years. Better and less expensive than CQR, but not as good as my current Rocna.

Some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:06   #15

I tried to post a photo and lost my reply. I'll try again.
Anchor has no markings, just a paper tag long gone. It weighs 10 kg (22 pounds). I do allow for bow height in my scope calculations. And yes, I do expect Lewmar to respond, especially if I am mistaken. That is common courtesy. I will take the anchor back to the chandler I bought it from to be certain what it is. If mistaken, Lewmar gets an honest and heartfelt apology. Meanwhile, shame on Lewmar for not responding. Anchor is not bent. It has never had to hold any force because it always dragged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151116_001.jpg
Views:	1884
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	113188   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151116_002.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	113189  

Tags