Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 14:03   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Delta Copy Anchor Doesn't Work

I had a Kodiak Delta copy made in St Pete area USA for Sea Ray. It did really well, but dragged like skip mentioned one time in mud. It actually held the night before in about 20 knots and then drug the next day in maybe a 22 knot gust several hundred yards.

Hit a 75' steel sailboat, as I was ashore. Guy was really nice about it as I'd talked to him the day before. Didn't trust the anchor though for the rest of the 4 month cruise but it never dragged again.

Trying a Rocna Vulcan as I was too cheap to by a spade. Not thrilled about it being made in China. Currently on the bottom of sister creek in marathon with the tip dug into a hole in the hard limestone bottom. A good test over a few weeks of winter fronts and sideloading from being med moored to the mangroves.
Old 15-01-2016, 14:09   #107

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: PLOW ANCHORS are designed to PLOW the seabed to the sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post
PLOW ANCHORS are designed to PLOW the seabed to the sides, same as it would plow a corn field to plant corn.

If you want to put a nail into the earth, you need a CONCAVE anchor. Any new Gen anchor will nail you to 1 location. Rocna, Mantus, Manson, Spade
Visit the thread Video' of Anchors Setting by Panope and perhaps your opinions of modern plow anchors may change.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 14:39   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Conway-Brown View Post
My only concern about the Rocna, which I haven't used yet, is lifting the extra weight of seabed that comes up with it. No windlass.............. Any thoughts on technique to dump the dirt out of the concave cup of the Rocna after tripping and before lifting? Maybe dragging it for a bit after tripping?
Mine usually comes up pretty clean unless its caught some weed. The time its coming up clears it well in mud, based on my experience. [Twice a month anchoring for two nights, almost every month, last 10+ years.]

Always a good idea to move some with it hanging just below the surface if it's really gooey.

No windlass either, Rocna 10, 1/4" chain, 35', 1/2" three strand rode, yours will most likely be bigger since I sized my anchoring system for only 42 knots. If I lived and boated elsewhere, I'd have to increase the size.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 18:16   #109

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Conway-Brown View Post
My only concern about the Rocna, which I haven't used yet, is lifting the extra weight of seabed that comes up with it. No windlass. The Fortress works infinitely better than the bad Delta copy. Any thoughts on technique to dump the dirt out of the concave cup of the Rocna after tripping and before lifting? Maybe dragging it for a bit after tripping? The Fortress is lighter than the chain, and it's often difficult to tell when it touches down. Not a real problem. I have no doubt that if you get the Delta copy to start biting, it would then set and hold. But it wouldn't bite.
As to the extra weight, pull in until it's tight, and drive/sail over it; it will come out with a 1/1 scope. Continue forward until enough is off to manage raising it, if what you are using isn't up to the task to begin with...

My technique for getting off the gunge is to carry on forward for as long as it takes to get it off, with, usually, some variance in depth to allow for different flow patterns. The problem then becomes orientation of the point, which will make it very difficult to raise.

Rocna is about to beta test a wobbler swivel which will force it to land tip down in the roller; you will have a great deal easier time of it, in any event, if you use some form of cantilever such that the force doesn't get severe until it's over the rocker.

Our solution to that and that the roller interfered with our cage (or the other way around if you prefer) can be seen here:

Pictures: Flying Pig Refit 2011-2012/Anchor System Refit/6 - Rocna Addition and Modifications

As to the fortress, or any danforth-stle anchor, they're great until you get a rock or a piece of coral, or even a clump of grass in between the flukes and the shank, it reverses, and now that's on top and it will skate that way until you hit something or MAYBE it snags on a rock. IMHO you should never leave such an anchor unattended...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 12:09   #110

Boat: OC40 hull #8

[QUOTE=
Simply: If you had the bottom of your boat lined with lead it will still float, if you flipped your boat over and it still had the lead lined bottom it would sink.[/QUOTE]

This is only correct if you're talking about water getting in the hatches.

Any object, wholly or partially immersed in a fluid, is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object

More tersely: Buoyancy = weight of displaced fluid.

--Archimedes
stoomy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, lewmar