Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2021, 23:26   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
What do you use to lift a dinghy with davits?

We're getting a RIB this week. We have a sturdy solar arch that will stand in for davits. Now I'm trying to figure the best way to lift the bloody thing.

When at anchor I'll lift the dinghy with engine and fuel tank in place. In this configuration the weight distribution will be 120 lb. fwd. and 210 lb. aft.

I considered getting triple block sets with cam cleats. This arrangement gives a 6:1 mechanical advantage, less friction. But cost adds up quickly!

I've considered trailer winches but that gets ugly very quickly.

What seems to make the most sense from a cost and packaging standpoint is power strap winches. These are most often used to lift snow plow blades!

What do you use to lift your dinghy in davits? Thank you for your input.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 00:08   #2

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35
Re: What do you use to lift a dinghy with davits?

If I were starting with only a support structure, I would buy 4 pulleys. Per side, I would have 1 mounted on the support structure (radar arch) and 1 mounted on the deck as near as directly below and/or between that and my jib trimming winches. I would add a cam lock, as cheaply as possible just after the second pulley. Then I would lead the line to my jib trimming winches and use those to hoist the dinghy. After they were hoisted, cam cleat and then perhaps tie off for redundancy.

You should never have to trim a jib and hoist a dinghy at the same time. So why not use those existing winches? As far as mechanical advantage your have the drum to handle ratio in addition to any gearing.
Old 29-03-2021, 00:08   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We lift ours up the sturdy solar arch too.
Our sheet winches are the easiest means to lift her. We tried pulley systems before. The winches are far easier.

Can be enhanced with a Milwaukee drill.

Disadvantage of solar arch vs. davids, you propabably have nothing to tie her against tightly.
We can only avoid this if we pull her up all the way...
Old 29-03-2021, 00:53   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Lifting a RIB with an engine and fuel tank is quite a weight, and any manual method will be slow, even using winches and an electric winch driver.
Take a look at this article I wrote for Cruising World a few years ago. It might give you some idea of how you could mechanize the system. This motor lifts my own 10’ RIB and a 60Lb engine in about 30 seconds.
Lifting the dinghy with an electric hoist
JR.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 02:07   #5

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I'm building this right now, except I want to be able to lift 2 people all the gear, the tender, and outboard. Hahahaha, that adds up especially if we have have tanks and gear.

Right now, I can get myself up but maybe not for much longer so I've bought a ATV winch 4500lbs, (almost the same weight as the 1500lbs winch) it weighs 7 and a bit kgs, the cable needs to be 4AWG so some weight but not terrible. I will run the port line around the winch reel in one direction then the starboard line in the opposite, use a nice dyneema 6mm lines both sides at 1:1. The winch comes with remote controls so can have one on the tender and a spare. It also has provision for a wired in up/down switch that I'll mount in reach.

It should work a treat, only issue might be salt and el-cheapo winch but it was less than a couple of hundred dollars.

I've strengthened up the Targa and made some extra seating and day beds at the same time.
Old 29-03-2021, 02:27   #6

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

One pic shows the extended framework for the top supports, the winch will go between the two forward pully blocks.

The other image shows the seating/daybed that I've added as part of the framework to support the loads. There is less than 12 kgs of extra framework. The complete setup will add less than 25kgs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_143328.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	235405   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_143349.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	235406  

Old 29-03-2021, 04:57   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Just finalised using the electric winches to lift the dinghy. Have placed a single jamming block to make it easier when I tie off the rope. Attached photos show the system.

Ilenart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB7722E6-3643-489A-87D2-C2C651A090F3.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	235413   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC5554B2-DAC3-43C8-9C7D-CBA3595E90E0.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	235414  

Name:	B296909C-0629-447C-B17D-6D9989017EC4.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	235415   Click image for larger version

Name:	3701D1C7-5F39-4219-8FD3-2BE3A67EFA78.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	235416  

ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 06:27   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Our RIB is quite light, but we use the jib sheet winches. The lifting lines (front and back) feed through a couple of rope clutches before the winch, so the dinghy is secure and locked when released from the winches.

The winches are two speed Anderson 62 so make short and easy work of the lifting. As the sheet winches are needed anyway there is nothing extra to fail or to service. KISS.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 07:30   #9

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
We're getting a RIB this week. We have a sturdy solar arch that will stand in for davits. Now I'm trying to figure the best way to lift the bloody thing.

When at anchor I'll lift the dinghy with engine and fuel tank in place. In this configuration the weight distribution will be 120 lb. fwd. and 210 lb. aft.

I considered getting triple block sets with cam cleats. This arrangement gives a 6:1 mechanical advantage, less friction. But cost adds up quickly!

A simple triple block set up is probably the least expensive solution, little to go wrong, next to zero maintenance. Very commonly used for those reasons. While cruising, we use our davits so often that it's not a place I will skimp anyway. Go for full-on functionality here.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 07:57   #10

Boat: Colegate 26

On our catamaran the davits are diagonal beams with pulleys integrated into the tips and a turning block at the base. We have a powered winch between the two davit arms. If the motor is on the dinghy we use the winch to raise the stern of the dinghy.

Sorry I don't have a better picture - I'm not currently at the boat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190311_153639 (1).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	235435  
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 08:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Muscles?
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 08:45   #12

Boat: Amel Maramu 46'

I have lifting arms on my solar arch that I use as a davit system. The are welded on each side of the main span. I use a Selden 6:1 block set with cam cleat (on top) on each side. The blocks use 10mm line which seems to do well in hand for hoisting. I also had cleats put on the front legs of the arch by the fabricator which I use as extra security in addition to the cam cleat.

My dinghy is a Highfield Classic 290 with a 18hp Nissan (Tohatsu) on it, the total weight is about 220lbs (100kg). I can easily lift and launch the dinghy myself without any need to use my winches which saves a bit on line and extra blocks since I have a center cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg copy.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	235437  
Briang701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 10:23   #13

Davits and wind vane steering are not compatible. I've had both on my 45 footer. Being a ketch compounded the problem. I think a smaller version of a crab pot hoist mounted midship might solve the dilemma. I toyed with the idea but sold the boat without trying it.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 11:09   #14

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I installed a 12V DC ATV winch on our davits a couple of years ago to replace two 5-part tackles used previously. [They are kept onhand in case the winch ever fails.]

It makes the task of raising and lowering our fiberglass RIB with 15hp outboard and fuel tank trivial— and a one person job.

If you are interested, here is a detailed blog post about that project.

Cheers! Bill
Old 29-03-2021, 11:52   #15

I got these this year very happy with them.
DINGHY DAVIT BLOCK AND TACKLE SYSTEM WITH CLEATS From http://garhauermarine.com/
mostrander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits, dinghy, lift