Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 10:14   #31

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Mounting horns on a sailboat?

I'd like to go this route, but only if I can sound somewhere between the Queen Mary and a Union Pacific locomotive.

Seriously!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:20   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I'd like to go this route, but only if I can sound somewhere between the Queen Mary and a Union Pacific locomotive.

Seriously!
https://www.hornblasters.com/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 11:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

"Wake the Dead" model look promising
Old 21-10-2016, 11:44   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I've never been able to find an electric horn or an electric compressor air horn that I could afford that lasted more than a year or so, even tucked under a roof with the compressor inside. I finally mounted an ordinary compressed gas horn in a short vertical PVC pipe with a cover on top of the wheel house. A flat hinged plate above the horn is pulled downward by a stainless steel wire that runs to a handle in the wheelhouse. It is by far the most reliable answer I've ever found, because there is no electricity and no corrosion.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 12:44   #35

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

Mine is mounted in the radar mast. It was like that when I bought her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	133385
Old 23-10-2016, 18:41   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

mounted mine on the arch with the compressors right below them-- put the compressors inside a capped PVC pipe that had holes drilled in the bottom for vents/drains- protected from the weather- no problems so far. be sure you angle the horns so that if they get water in them, they drain naturally.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 19:23   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

Seriously!
Here you go !
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 19:45   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

I put mine over my Questus backstay radar mount. The mount itself had a T-bar to mount two antennas to. I used that to attach a shelf, and used a strip of stainless to go up to the backstay to support the forward edge of the shelf.

The horns are from amazon.com, and have a small tank with integral compressor and a solenoid on the horns. They are loud and deep, but the tank is on the small side and I run out of air when I get an idiot who just doesn't get it! One of these days I'd like to set up a larger reserve tank, maybe hooked up to a compressor suitable for a hookah diving rig.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1477276739748.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	133604  
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 18:43   #39

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

My VHF has PA and Fog signals. I mounted the horn speaker on the solar panel arch at the aft end of the cockpit on my Tanzer 22. My boat is so small it wasn't clear where I might mount it more forward without it being a PITA in some way. Plus it was not clear why I wanted the audio to be directional pointing forward, so my mount allows the speaker to rotate through 360%.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 20:12   #40

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

"Real" horns? If they're loud (if not, you're just pretending), mount them forward where crew are outside.
Old 24-01-2017, 05:35   #41

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
Hi:

My VHF has PA and Fog signals. I mounted the horn speaker on the solar panel arch at the aft end of the cockpit on my Tanzer 22.
An arch and solar panels on a T22...wow...thats something I'd like to see! Stern davits too? 42 inch tv below?

BTW, the T22 is a fantastic boat, I had one for a while and loved it. I wish they made a scaled up version with a bit more room below. The best part though is how they sail...just fantastic...so fast...I remember the thrill the first time I got planing...wow that was fun! And the shallow draft (fin keel version, yes) worked well here the 1000 islands, our water is thin. I've seen the swing keel version pulled right up onto the beach...even nicer...no dinghy required when your sailboat has dinghy draft!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 06:43   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

each time i see this thread come up i immediately see long horn cattle horns on the mast facing forward just below spreaders------
and long haul trucker horns mounted on the spreaders--shouldd give crew a helluva start when weighing anchor in a crowded anchorage --- oops...

qm has goood long deeeep throated awesome sound--- that would be a good choice.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 07:55   #43

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
An arch and solar panels on a T22...wow...thats something I'd like to see! Stern davits too? 42 inch tv below?
Yes, it is the little boat that could.

The solar arch mounts on the stern rail via tie rod ends so it can pivot back to catch early/late day sun but most of the time sits horizontally about an inch aft of the backstay. In the first photograph, you can see the port side inverted triangle structure that terminates in a tie rod end beside the life ring. On the starboard side, you can see the 1/4 inch line that controls the tilt back. The horn speaker mounts on the starboard horizontal member that is complementary to the port side member that mounts the life ring.

Sorry about the crappy photographs. I don't do a very good job of documenting what I do. The second shot of the underside of the panel was taken today out in the driveway. Got some snow down the back of my shirt for my troubles.

The panel is 150W. Certainly had no trouble keeping up with GPS, VHF, cell phone charging, lighting, and AP. Don't think I saw battery voltage under 12.8V all season. Now I don't have to bother taking the snake along, AKA the shore power cable, or pay the $200/season for electricity at the dock.

I want to get an Engel refrigeration unit for this season as I am tired of the ice fetch cycle and soggy food. Not quite convinced I'll have enough panel, but it has chances.

In front of the panel, I also have a bimini that just clears all the main sheet business more or less. I have to release the bimini tensioning lines as required to move the sheet past depending on point of sail. Shade is a wonderful thing.

My wife and I made it to Hamilton and back last season over 12 or 13 days. Went out around Prince Edward County, came back via Murray canal. Stayed at Macassa Bay YC in Hamilton, real nice folks. Someone at the club found it surprising that a Tanzer 22 would stray that far, and my wife said she might not have come if she had heard that comment beforehand LOL. We made Newcastle to Port Credit in 11-1/2 hours in a screaming wind and 2 metre waves. I think we did most of the day on reefed main alone. Was great fun except for the flies biting our ankles 10 km off shore, WTF?

Second last trip of the season Mid October, I made Kingston in 2 days coming in south of Amherst Island, and returned north of the Island to the home base of Meyers Pier in Belleville.

I come from a cycle camping culture in my youth, so even 22 feet is luxury compared to a tent.

Boulter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	solar arch 001.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	140036   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar arch 004.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	140039  

Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 08:34   #44

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrout View Post
I would like to mount a set of real horns to replace my "compressed air can" horn on my Baba 40. The problem I have is: where to mount them?
Same as on a powerboat. Right up front.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:10   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Same as on a powerboat. Right up front.

Greatly off topic, but could you decipher what day signals this fishing boat is displaying? Especially from a distance?

Tags
sail, sailboat