Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 05:37   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: How to hoist a courtesy flag

Our method - a knot in the end of the halyard where it's tied. Slip the loop over the knot and hitch the lower line. Fast and easy and haven't lost a flag yet ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1453901842.228203.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	117737
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 05:48   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
One use of eye at top, and line at bottom, could be to eliminate any confusion as to proper orientation of the flag?

I know this would seem silly to some, but there are a lot of flags out there. And this would be a simple way to avoid possible offending someone.

Just thinking out loud.

I believe as has already been posted that line is there so you can string together flags
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 05:59   #18

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe as has already been posted that line is there so you can string together flags
Fair enough, most likely so.

With the added benefit they would all be correctly oriented. Assuming the sailor knows how at least one flag of the string should look.
Old 27-01-2016, 06:06   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I draw an arrow on the flag so I know which was is up.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:21   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Robin, could you please define top pullet for me? I thought a pullet was a young hen. Clearly it is not! Anyhow, thanks in advance.

Ann

Baby chicken, poulet(Fr) small 'pulley', 'pullet'? y and t are next door on m one finger keyboard and the letters have rubbed off!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:26   #21

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hmmm. I suspect Evans is right. I don't really have a problem with this. My flag halyard has two carabiner snaps. When I need to fly a flag, I simply hook the one at the top and the other in the bow line loop I've tied on the short line at the bottom.

When I remove the flag, I simply snap the two snaps together and the halyard line is now continuous. If I need to 2 or more flags, I simply hook the top grommet to the bottom line - flag to flag and then do what I do if flying one flag
This sounds like the hot setup to me. It will keep me from losing either of my halyard ends, it will allow me to fly more than one flag at a time, and it will keep tension along the luffs of the flags so they fly neatly.

It's a much better solution than what I came up with. Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:47   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

C'mon. This question is NOT serious, is it?

The loop takes the top of the flag line that loops round and under. The tail gets into the bottom of your flag line that is formed (not tied) into a loop. Hoist and make tight. END OF STORY.

I am not sure where the joke is. I must be blind.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Our method - a knot in the end of the halyard where it's tied. Slip the loop over the knot and hitch the lower line. Fast and easy and haven't lost a flag yet ...
Attachment 117737
I do it this way too. Those rope loops sewed into the flags have been known to pull out otherwise. This is the safest method IMO
Captjohn1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:49   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangurBan View Post
On the subject of ensigns and courtesy flags, has anyone ever seen the European Union flag used?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes at the Ryder and Solheim Cup Golf events.Otherwise It is just a FLAG not a legal maritime ensign even if some comedians trying to make some strange point have them bastardised with their national flags sewn into a corner and wear them as 'ensigns'. I have a plain EU flag in my flag bag but only for fun or when dressed overall as it is not a courtesy flag to fly in EU waters where the appropriate one is the specific country's ensign.

But then you probably knew that?

This is a topic akin to anchors and anchoring or life rafts an life jackets for creating friction on some European forums when some anarchistically inclined folk want to poke fun at people being pedantic over correct ( and legal) ensign use.

[/PEDANT RANT]
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:06   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i fly only one flag at a time, if that. i tie it on, and raise. then wind blows it away, piece by piece. .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:30   #26

Boat: Bavaria 42 Cruiser

I make a proper job of it and fit Seasure Nylon Inglefield Hooks to the halyard and flags - it makes for easy changing, good luff tension and a seamanlike solution!

Cheapest available are from Marine megastore at Buy Seasure Nylon Inglefield Hook (PAIR) Clevis Pins and Rigging accessories at Marine Megastore Chandlery 15% off orders over £300!*
Old 27-01-2016, 07:34   #27

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I have a continuous line in a loop as my flag pennant, with a small clip permanently attached. This is the top fitting into which either a pennant top toggle or loop can be placed and then I make up a small loop lower down, with the bight longer than the fall of the pennant(s) so that when I tie of the bottom line of the lowest pennant to the loop, it pulls all the pennants tight once fastened off. With regards Pangubans enquiry about the EU flag, it is not allowed to be flown on vessels since it is not any country's courtesy flag unlike the stars and stripes which represents the USA. I guess it would be similar to an american vessel flying a state flag.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:40   #28

I am pretty sure the intension is that the flag becomes part of a potentially endless chain in the same way cray fishermen join ropes together.
Each rope has the same arrangement as the flags. An eye at one end and a simple tail at the other. You join a tail to a loop using a Fishermans knot or sheet bend. We use a double sheet bend to ensure that it can easily be untied after long periods under strain.
Any number of ropes can be joined together in this manner if they all have eye and tail. As suggested by others, any number of flags can be added also.
Fisherman do this to allow them to go deeper as they follow cray fish over the shelf. 4 x 30 fathom ropes may be joined together or even more!
I hope that helps
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:46   #29

It's pretty obvious ,however, I probably should confirm that your halyard therefore must have an eye and a loop. It can be tied to itself and restrained somewhere convenient, when not in use with a flag.
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:58   #30

Boat: Victoire 1122

Don't forget: These 'European' flags their eye is Always the top; the line goes down!
Now you never have your flag top down.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote