Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2018, 13:49   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
What’s this...? CNG

Just looked at a boat that I like and I’m trying to find info on this... see photo. I believe it’s a cng bottle but it looks permenantly fixed to the boat. How to handle this or just pitch it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB10E4E5-4456-4045-B997-4CD932BCD048.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	177414   Click image for larger version

Name:	168EEFA4-8716-4A32-B658-58C7A43DBFB9.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	177415  

Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 13:51   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: What’s this...? CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Just looked at a boat that I like and I’m trying to find info on this... see photo. I believe it’s a cng bottle but it looks permenantly fixed to the boat. How to handle this or just pitch it?

The photo would be a big help
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 14:16   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

10 pound bottle?
Take the bracket and bolts off, disconnect hoses and lift the thing out.
Take it to a propane place for inspection, if good, keep it, if no good toss it.
(Valve seems to be the old type, won’t get refills unless you have the new 3-Star valve)
Old 15-09-2018, 14:47   #4

Quote:
It is a CNG tank, NOT a 10lb propane tank. You can't take it to a "propane place."

It can not be permanently attached to the boat, because the only way to fill them is to exchange them.

PLEASE do NOT "just" pitch it. The gauge looks like it might have some pressure left in it. You do not want this going into the routine trash flow. It can seriously hurt someone handling it downstream.

You can not just swap it out for propane without changing the jets on your stove and several other parts. Be careful, and be SURE you know what you are doing before reworking this system, or find someone who does.

If you cook a lot on the boat, CNG is a PITA. If you cook infrequently, and need to swap it, say, once a season, AND there is a local source I'd keep it and use it. If you cook on the boat every day, I'd bite the bullet and spend the money to convert to propane.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 14:52   #5

Sail monkey thanks for the reply, inspection aside can the bottle be filled in situe or does it have to be hauled to the filling station. I only ask this because it seems permanently installed, I’ve seen two like this...

If I change to propane I’ll have to manufacture a new locker, or some other alternative.

Good news is the current locker looks like it would hold diving tanks just fine...
Old 15-09-2018, 15:14   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I wouldn't say "permanently". Just looks like a bit of a PITA every time you need to disconnect it to take it for a refill.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 17:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I wouldn't say "permanently". Just looks like a bit of a PITA every time you need to disconnect it to take it for a refill.
I think the gas tank on my truck is only held on with two bolts... maybe I can save money on the silly red gas cans when I next run out...

Actually there is room for a second tank if they are not too expensive. Just worry about filling them elsewhere in the world... where do you fill them in the US I have never seen one like this before, and I’ve done a lot of bbq’ing!
Old 15-09-2018, 18:31   #8

Quote:
Sail monkey thanks for the reply, inspection aside can the bottle be filled in situe or does it have to be hauled to the filling station. I only ask this because it seems permanently installed, I’ve seen two like this...

If I change to propane I’ll have to manufacture a new locker, or some other alternative.

Good news is the current locker looks like it would hold diving tanks just fine...

I wouldn’t call it permanent. And you’re certainly not going to get it filled in place. But, like others have said, if you cook infrequently it may work. But if you use the boat, lose the Cong bottle and change the system to propane.
Old 15-09-2018, 18:46   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

CNG is safer than Propane.
If you do convert, be sure the locker is air tight and has a drain to the exterior of the boat, it likely doesn’t cause CNG is lighter than air and wouldn’t need it, but Propane sure does.
It would be nearly impossible to blow up your boat with CNG, not so with Propane.
Of course if you can’t get it filled, then you have no choice.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 05:46   #10

So what’s the problem with cooking on cng?
Old 16-09-2018, 06:06   #11

Quote:
No problem with the cooking--it's no different on the stove from propane--it's the refilling that's the pain, and that actually depends on where you are.

The only way to refill a high pressure CNG tank is to exchange it. Everywhere I have ever sailed, the exchange places are few and far between--hence the hassle. Compared to propane which is available everywhere.

If you have CNG tank exchange vender near to your normal cruising ground, then the problem is moot.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 06:06   #12

Quote:

None, if you can get it filled. But finding a filling or exchange station is the problem.
Old 16-09-2018, 06:19   #13

Boat: Tartan 37

They're CNG tanks. CNG cooks fine and is very safe. The pain is filling. Some areas don't have filling stations or places to exchange. Outside US, it gets tougher. We still have CNG, but we have a place to fill. We supplement with a Origo alcohol 2 burner stove, love that. If you buy the boat and want to unload the tanks, drop me a pm. They can be hydro tested and put in a exchange program.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 07:01   #14

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
No problem with the cooking--it's no different on the stove from propane--it's the refilling that's the pain, and that actually depends on where you are.

The only way to refill a high pressure CNG tank is to exchange it. Everywhere I have ever sailed, the exchange places are few and far between--hence the hassle. Compared to propane which is available everywhere.

If you have CNG tank exchange vender near to your normal cruising ground, then the problem is moot.
Not true that exchange is the only option. Here in Jacksonville, Fl you call a Teco Gas employee on his cell phone and he meets you at the CNG pump and fills your tank while you wait (on Phillips Hwy ) or #2 ) you can drive to the Gate Gas station On Heckscher Drive (at the Port) and with your own adaptor (purchased off Ebay) fill your tank self service at pumps used to fill buses and trucks.

I have used CNG for 30 years and cooks almost the same as propane Plus it is much safer. Outside of US forget it, convert to propane.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 08:21   #15

Boat: Whitby 42

I understand the car and truck tanks are filled to a much higher pressure.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote