Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 17:27   #1

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
Where to sell CNG Cylinders, Regulator

Where can I find a buyer for 2 boat CNG cylinders and a high pressure CNG regulator?
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:03   #2

Maybe an antique store? They can set it on the shelf next to the 8 track tapes and the Beta video players.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:11   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I'm not sure if I was looking for a used CNG cylinder I would be going after a well used one. Steel tanks alone do not carry a great deal of value. I suppose anyone might buy something if cheap enough. The cost to recertify the tank may be less than you could expect any seller of tanks to pay you. Proper disposal may be financially your better solution. Shipping the tank any place adds additional difficulties and expenses. The nearest dealer I know of is in Virginia Beach.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:23   #4

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Your best bet would be to advertise in the free classifieds available on this and some other forums. If I were doing it, I would put a price on the regulator and give the cylinders away with it for free. You will not want to, nor will you likely be allowed to, ship the cylinders, so you will have to find a buyer who can make a local pickup. The new owner is just going to exchange the cylinders for new ones with fuel -- they will not have to worry about the certification of the cylinders themselves, the fuel distributor does that (and in my experience their dealers just do not bother to look at the current condition of the cylinders). There are still boats out there that use CNG for cooking fuel (mine is one), and there are still some places to get it, but I don't think you are going to find any potential buyers among new users...

Good Luck!
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 16:30   #5

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
I like the regulator with the free cylinders idea. The cylinders themselves are both in excellent condition, certified, and made of ceramic. But, I guess that is besides the point.
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:04   #6

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
I have never heard of high-pressure compressed gas cylinders made of ceramic! Maybe they are ceramic-coated?
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 16:21   #7

The tanks could have some value. When I bought my boat, one of the two CNG tanks was so badly rusted that I could not turn it back for refilling. I had to purchase a new tank for some $200 from the refiller since I couldn't find one anywhere else. I was told that they are pressure tested on every fill (for what they charge, they should...)

If they are in good clean condition, then someone might want one for a spare or replacement.

Try posting them on Ebay or a refiller might buy them.

Dave
T-372
wallandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator