Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2018, 09:01   #16

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler
Re: What’s this...? CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
I understand the car and truck tanks are filled to a much higher pressure.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-CNG-Ta...UAAOSwzaJX3UrH
You control the fill with the adapter.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:36   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
10 pound bottle?
Take the bracket and bolts off, disconnect hoses and lift the thing out.
Take it to a propane place for inspection, if good, keep it, if no good toss it.
(Valve seems to be the old type, won’t get refills unless you have the new 3-Star valve)
Take the hose and regulator off and the bottle probably is easily removed.

If you plan to cruise Caribbean you will not be able to fill in most places.

The installation looks like it does not comply with requirements regarding venting, excess volume, etc. these things scare me. We have ABYC sealed, vented over board lockers for two 20#propane tanks. We fill everywhere. Last season we used less than one tank for six months, cooking frequently. LP is low pressure. CNG is high pressure. High pressure leaks more readily. The total BTUs you can carry in LP is way more than you will have in a CNG tank. LP is liquified, hence higher density than CNG, compressed gas. As a full time cruiser off shore, CNG has no place on my boat. Not only is it nearly impossible to fill or exchange, there are no parts in chandleries anywhere in the Caribbean. I can buy service parts for the LP everywhere
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 13:18   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Hi Steven.

Some local advice for you here.

The cylinder was last inspected in 2001. Inspections are due every 5 years, so it's been a long time since it was filled.

I am unaware of any cylinder exchange services for CNG in particular in Minnesota. You could try calling some of the marinas in Afton or Duluth, but I'll be surprised if you can find a place that does that.

There are two ways you can get the cylinder filled.

1) You can get it hydro-tested yourself and fill it yourself at a place that has CNG for automotive use. There are two hydro test places in the Twin Cities that will work with individual retail customers. One is All-safe in Wyoming (MN), just north of the cities. The other is Nardini Fire. It will cost about $20. Also, any SCUBA diving shop can send it out to although the rates will be higher. There are several CNG places around the cities, and the alternative-energy web sites have lists. There are other threads on cruisersforum describing the adapter and the parts needed to make it.

2) You can take it to a welding and compressed gas supply place, and they will (probably) fill it for you, and handle the hydro test. I use Toll Welding, which has a number of locations around the metro. It may be best to call first, and some locations may be more willing to work with you than others. You could also try Airgas and Praxair although my experience is that they're less willing to deal with oddball requests.

The regulators and gauge look shot and should probably be replaced. All-safe or any of the welding places should be able to get you what you need.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 10:58   #19

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

All,
thanks guys i appreciate all the advice and as the Caribbean is on my 'to do' list so the issues getting the CNG filled means i will likely switch to something else. there are a couple of spots where i could make a vented propane locker.

Jammer
I'm in Minnesota close to Spirit Lake IA but the prospective boat is on the East Coast where it will stay.

look out for a new thread on alternatives to CNG.

Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote