Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 16:55   #1

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Nova Kool BD 2,5 Control Module

Help !!!

Discovered this past weekend that my refrigeration stopped working and the culprit is the compressor control module. Apparently Danfoss doesn’t make this module anymore so the only other alternative is a whole new system at $1500.

If anybody has a source or a spare one let me know and we can make a deal?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:20   #2
cruiser

Re: Nova Kool BD 2,5 Control Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Help !!!

Discovered this past weekend that my refrigeration stopped working and the culprit is the compressor control module. Apparently Danfoss doesn’t make this module anymore so the only other alternative is a whole new system at $1500.

Try John at ColdEh Marine. Not sure of his contacts but you can usually find him on the forum.
Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:43   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12V-Plug-El.../dp/B07B26NHT1
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yes, it does look like it. I have placed a call into John at CoolEH and waiting to hear back.

Thanks for the info and link.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:02   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Coastal Climate Control sells them for $200.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:29   #6

So here is an update and the final solution. The Amazon site that Travellerw provided is exactly what I need however they don't ship to Canada. The person in Toronto that sells offshore aftermarket control modules will not warrant the product once it leaves the store. So for $300 I as the consumer is not protected from defect. John from CoolEH was great and as he explains it my unit is approx. 19 years old and on its way out. He has been replacing these units because of the age and failure rate. I will have John order and install a new one within the next few weeks. So I bit the bullet and will have a new unit with warranty that should be dependable for many years. If I went down the road of just replacing the control module who knows when it would fail again. After all the capacitor blew for some reason.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:44   #7
cruiser

Quote:
So here is an update and the final solution. The Amazon site that Travellerw provided is exactly what I need however they don't ship to Canada. The person in Toronto that sells offshore aftermarket control modules will not warrant the product once it leaves the store. So for $300 I as the consumer is not protected from defect. John from CoolEH was great and as he explains it my unit is approx. 19 years old and on its way out. He has been replacing these units because of the age and failure rate. I will have John order and install a new one within the next few weeks. So I bit the bullet and will have a new unit with warranty that should be dependable for many years. If I went down the road of just replacing the control module who knows when it would fail again. After all the capacitor blew for some reason.

Thanks for all your input.
Excellent decision. At 19 years the old unit owes you nothing and a new system will be good for many years to come without worry.

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Excellent decision. At 19 years the old unit owes you nothing and a new system will be good for many years to come without worry.

Cheers OzePete
Pete, thanks very much for the referral. I am confident that John will do a great job.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:26   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Thanks all.

Been a busy summer , very hot this year . So lots for me to do .

You are right Pete , that system has seen its day and gave good service for many years. Be nice to get a home fridge to last as long.

I will get Mottseng up and running and good for another 20 years .

Regards John.
www.coldeh.com
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 14:00   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t think 20+ years is at all unusual for a home fridge, these little sealed compressors are the original Energizer bunny, over 100,000 hours is not uncommon I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 14:05   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Help !!!

Check with RPARTS.COM - RPARTS.COM they also have the same module pictured on amazon Canada. I bought 200 of them and sold all but the ones I use to loan out. EBay has used ones and Frigoboat has their own replacement. Be careful these modules are either 12 volt only or 24 volt only. Replace module you might get another 10 years out of the system for less than $200.

Have you run the standard tests to confirm the module is bad many techies and salesman think the module and system can be condemned by using a volt meter.
Troubleshooting 4 pin modules consists of the following:

1. Place jumper wire across thermostat terminals, Compressor still does not run.

2. Disconnect black fan wire from electronic module, Compressor runs replace fan. Compressor still does not run after fan ground wire is disconnected. If one of the 10 transistors in this fan fail it can cause module to prevent compressor from running.

3. Run correct size and correct polarity fused jumper wires direct from a fully charged battery to module in order to bypass all boat’s wiring. Volt meter readings are of no value, Compressor still does not run electronic module needs to be tested on another unit.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 14:12   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm with Richard.. I would have worked harder to find a module. $200, even if it lasts you another 5 years is a good deal. There isn't really much else to go wrong as long as the system is not leaking. The compressors are pretty tough.

However, sometimes you just want "piece of mind". I understand that.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:10   #13

Thanks for the info. I just checked RPARTS.com and can't find the module I am looking for.

I know its the module as the capacitor has blown apart inside the control enclosure.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:18   #14

Update: So I did find the item on RPARTS.COM (RPARTS.COM - 4 Pin Power Module for older Danfoss Compressors) however, I do want that peace of mind and am still going with a new unit.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Update: So I did find the item on RPARTS.COM (RPARTS.COM - 4 Pin Power Module for older Danfoss Compressors) however, I do want that peace of mind and am still going with a new unit.
It is listed under Comprespsors:

12v 4-Pin Power Module for Danfoss BD 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 Compressors
COMPRESSORS:010-1150

RParts.com - Danfoss and Masterflux DC Compressors - RPARTS.COM
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote