Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2019, 12:49   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Filling horizontal propane tank problem

Yes, the positioning of the end of the "dip tube" is critical.

Sometimes a given dip tube position allows drawing vapor from both vertical and horizontal positions, but its usually one or the other.

Those use cases drawing liquid are another story.

I've had forklift tanks fitted with both valve types, basically had to bribe a tech to get it done, and several propane shops refused to fill it, being unusual.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 03:18   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Yep, I have exactly the same tank. Made by Worthington, IIRC.
The location of the valve on the tank isn't necessarily where the gas is drawn from.
I'm not trying to draw gas from the tank, I'm trying to fill it. According to the instructions on the side of the tank it is filled via the fill value and in the vertical position as opposed to horizontal, which is how it has to be used.
Old 14-07-2019, 03:46   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have a 20# horizontal tank. It is shaped slightly differently than any I’ve ever seen — it is longer, and not as wide. It has a single valve with an overflow release. My tank is filled vertically.

Unfortunately my tank is apparently even odder than most. I’m coming to the end of the current certification. I tried to get it re-certified. The shop said they needed to re-valve it to do the job, but could not source a valve that would work. Not clear why, but I may be forced to rebuild my whole propane storage area, which is custom-designed for the odd shape of this tank.
Old 14-07-2019, 07:02   #19

Boat: Allied 39

Mike what about refilling your tanks yourself? We have been doing that for years and put together a document to help those in French Polynesia but it would apply to any country. You can find it on our website in “Other Good Stuff”. jacarandajourney.com

Hope you can figure out a solution that is easier than rebuilding your locker

Chuck
Old 14-07-2019, 07:25   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, that approach gives lots of flexibility, use whatever tank is standard for refill/exchange at your current cruising location,

cheap enough to discard / donate when you move on,

and decant yourself on board.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 09:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Mike what about refilling your tanks yourself? We have been doing that for years and put together a document to help those in French Polynesia but it would apply to any country. You can find it on our website in “Other Good Stuff”. jacarandajourney.com

Hope you can figure out a solution that is easier than rebuilding your locker
Thanks Chuck, I’ll definitely go read your document. I have read about others doing just this in passing, but have never tried it. The downside is having to carry another transfer tank, but I’m going to read and think.
Old 14-07-2019, 20:47   #22

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Chuck, I’ll definitely go read your document. I have read about others doing just this in passing, but have never tried it. The downside is having to carry another transfer tank, but I’m going to read and think.

We do not carry a transfer tank but put a deposit down on the local tank. Transfer it and then return it for the deposit. Often if the station knows me they don’t charge a deposit as I usually have it returned in an hour or so. It may not work for you but just a thought

Good Luck

Chuck
Old 15-07-2019, 08:02   #23

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Thanks. Do you know what the special adapter looks like? I've had people with an adapter that fits it but they still don't work, and everyone says the value looks like it needs a nozzle or needle in the center which is not present on the adapter they are using.

The fill valve has a double backcheck that is opened by differential pressure. Despite its appearance, it is not necessary to depress the valve with a pin while filling.

There are two possibilities:

1) The propane supplier is doing it wrong. They will have to run the pump, and have all the valves open. Since you have tried several suppliers, this seems farfetched.

2) The OPD valve inside the fill assembly on your cylinder is stuck. Firmly rapping the cylinder on the concrete, while upright, may get it to come loose, or not. You may have to replace the valve, which is really a job for a propane dealer because it requires a cylinder vise and a great deal of torque. If the valve is a mess then chances are that there's an accumulation of wax or debris in the cylinder. They use wax as a pump lubricant. Propane is a fantastic solvent and will dissolve all kinds of things, and then leave a gooey mess when it evaporates.

Good luck.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 08:14   #24

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

The other option you have is to fit a smaller tank, or possibly more than one smaller tank. For example if you presently have two 20# cylinders you may be able to fit three 11# cylinders and recoup most of your usable capacity. It isn't necessary to connect all three cylinders at once, so you don't necessarily have to re-plumb anything.

Many of the long, narrow horizontal tanks from the 1960s and early 1970s are actually ASME tanks, not DOT cylinders, and are exempt from the requalification requirement and from the OPD valve requirement as a result (They are built to a much higher standard of cylinder wall thickness). Some propane suppliers do not know this. ASME tanks have a proof stamp that looks like an H inside a four-leaf clover, usually on a tag welded to the tank. DOT cylinders are stamped with "DOT 4B......" usually on the collar or shroud that protects the valve.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 08:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The other option you have is to fit a smaller tank, or possibly more than one smaller tank. For example if you presently have two 20# cylinders you may be able to fit three 11# cylinders and recoup most of your usable capacity. It isn't necessary to connect all three cylinders at once, so you don't necessarily have to re-plumb anything.
Yes, this has been the Plan B option for a while now. I do carry two smaller spare vertical tanks. I’ve got a plan so that I could convert the current cradle into a bracket that would hold three or four of these. I don’t mind swapping them out as need be, and the standard smaller verticals have been a lot easier to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Many of the long, narrow horizontal tanks from the 1960s and early 1970s are actually ASME tanks, not DOT cylinders, and are exempt from the requalification requirement and from the OPD valve requirement as a result (They are built to a much higher standard of cylinder wall thickness). Some propane suppliers do not know this. ASME tanks have a proof stamp that looks like an H inside a four-leaf clover, usually on a tag welded to the tank. DOT cylinders are stamped with "DOT 4B......" usually on the collar or shroud that protects the valve.
I did not know this. I’ll have to look at my tank. It is definitely a heavy-built tank. It could be that old.
Old 17-07-2019, 17:13   #26

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Doodles, that is a new one on me. Must have some internal plumbing to go from the valve to the high part of the tank. Maybe that constrains the flow too much to fill there.

Hope you find that adapter, or can make one.
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane