Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 13:24   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Filling horizontal propane tank problem

The propane gas company that used to fill my tanks (with OPD's) no longer does it and all the local stores that do it can't seem to get the tank to take gas for some unknown reason. The tanks were last filled by the propane company and there were no problems, so the tanks are fine to my knowledge. Any ideas what the local guys are doing wrong? The tank says it has to be filled through the fill value (the large one to the side of the center service valve). See photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5353.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	195840
Old 12-07-2019, 13:37   #2

Boat: Island Packet 370
Re: Filling horizontal propane tank problem

We had the same problem in Connecticut. You can't fill through the valve that the hose connects to. It takes a special adapter to fill through the square or acme threaded fitting adjacent to the hose valve.
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 13:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoynthewater View Post
We had the same problem in Connecticut. You can't fill through the valve that the hose connects to. It takes a special adapter to fill through the square or acme threaded fitting adjacent to the hose valve.
Thanks. Do you know what the special adapter looks like? I've had people with an adapter that fits it but they still don't work, and everyone says the value looks like it needs a nozzle or needle in the center which is not present on the adapter they are using.
Old 12-07-2019, 13:46   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

All the newer ones I've seen have to be vertical (not horizontal) when being filled, or they won't take propane. It is a common mistake to try to fill them in the horizontal orientation in which they are used.

Older horizontal propane tanks from before the OPD era were filled while in a horizontal position, and some people don't realize that there has been a change.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 13:50   #5

Boat: Island Packet 370

I didn't get a good look at it but it threaded on to the fitting and the standard fitting for filling tanks threaded into the back of it. I had taken the tank in to be recertified at a big propane supply house and was told I needed a new valve after they tried to fill it. I stopped at a Tru Value on my way big to the boat and the guy handed it back to me full. Been through the Bahamas and BVI's and had it filled since with no problems. I assume that you have had it filled previously.
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 15:28   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

looks like a forklift type fill valve?

for USA you want "CGA 791" vapor service/liquid fill

male ACME QCC (quick closing coupling) Type 1

1-5/16″ on the outside, POL female inside

like standard BBQ bottles.

Find a propane shop that will replace (much better) or buy an adapter.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 15:58   #7

That fiting is for an automobile gas fill. Its pumped in at about 200 to 250Psi at a filling station, not a local hardware store. Where i live Vehicle fill stations use Propane not a mixture of propane/butane.
DeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 17:13   #8
cruiser

Then some autogas places let you self serve, depends on the area
Old 13-07-2019, 02:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
All the newer ones I've seen have to be vertical (not horizontal) when being filled, or they won't take propane. It is a common mistake to try to fill them in the horizontal orientation in which they are used.

Older horizontal propane tanks from before the OPD era were filled while in a horizontal position, and some people don't realize that there has been a change.
Yes, I should have mentioned this. I've been trying to fill it in the vertical position. There is a notice on the side that says fill through the fill valve, not the service valve, and fill in the vertical position only.
Old 13-07-2019, 02:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
That fiting is for an automobile gas fill. Its pumped in at about 200 to 250Psi at a filling station, not a local hardware store. Where i live Vehicle fill stations use Propane not a mixture of propane/butane.
This could be my problem. In the past the only place that was able to fill it was the propane company and they did it at the station where they filled the big trucks they used for residential and commercial refilling. My problem is that company was bought by a larger company and they don't fill small tanks anymore. I'll look for a vehicle fill station. Thanks.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:12   #11

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Any and all LPG fill stations should be able to fill that tank, I have the same one. I've had it filled at four different stations: one is an equipment rental yard near home, two at local (automobile) gas stations, and the last time at the Amerigas yard, to get it re-certified.

All LPG filling stations fill at essentially the same pressure, which is only enough to achieve flow, just like a gasoline or diesel filling pump. You can fill a smaller (10-20 lb) bottle by gravity alone, as many cruisers have done in the Pacific islands, etc.

The operating pressure in any LPG tank varies a bit with ambient temperature, but they're all filled the same, with the fuel in the liquid state. That's why you'll notice the person filling the tank has to open the vent screw below the valve.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 10:15   #12

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

That is a vertical tank, not horizontal. Propane always draws off the top of the tank. The top layer is gas but bulk of tank is liquid so you can't / shouldn't draw off anywhere but the top. Horizontal tanks have the valve on what would be the side of a vertical tank.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 10:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
That is a vertical tank, not horizontal. Propane always draws off the top of the tank. The top layer is gas but bulk of tank is liquid so you can't / shouldn't draw off anywhere but the top. Horizontal tanks have the valve on what would be the side of a vertical tank.
Nope, it’s definitely a horizontal tank. Here’s a better photo of the same tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	8CF1FE83-BC83-409A-9D98-21BA2C9365D9.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	195869
Old 13-07-2019, 11:15   #14
cruiser

There are tanks that can only be filled in one orientation but must be used in the other.
Old 13-07-2019, 11:59   #15

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Nope, it’s definitely a horizontal tank. Here’s a better photo of the same tank. Attachment 195869
Yep, I have exactly the same tank. Made by Worthington, IIRC.
The location of the valve on the tank isn't necessarily where the gas is drawn from.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane