Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 07:54   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
New stuffing box getting hot no matter the drip rate

Recently had my old stern gear replaced with a new bronze shaft log and spud-type packing gland from Buck Algonquin, plus a new 1” prop shaft and alignment all done professionally. No problems adjusting the drip rate to about 2 drips per minute, but after motoring at near full throttle for a while I checked the temperature of the packing gland and it was up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

The manufacturer said it should not be too hot to touch, so it’s way too hot. I confirmed with the people that packed the gland that they used three rings of “regular” 1/4” flax packing, which according to Buck Algonquin should be fine.

I’ve loosened the nut almost as loose as it can go without falling off. It’s now dripping about 1 drip per second but still heating up to about 140 at full speed.

My main concern of course is damaging the new shaft, either by abrasion or warping.

Ive been told that it’s normal to run hot during a break in period, but I’ve got about 10 hours of anxious motoring in already and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.

Im wondering if they put grease somewhere they shouldn’t have, or if they didn’t get the shaft log in straight so there’s a sideways pressure on the gland.

The people that packed the gland told me I could take a ring out and get by with 2, but that doesn’t seem wise if that’s not the source of the problem. Or I could buy more high tech packing and redo the whole thing, but doing this for the first time with the boat in the water seems dicey.

Anybody have any similar experiences or advice on this? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533221855.049406.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	174768
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: New stuffing box getting hot no matter the drip rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
...My main concern of course is damaging the new shaft, either by abrasion or warping...
That's just not going to happen.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:16   #3

Boat: Cal 33-2

That is unusual. My only guess is maybe the shaft is out of alignment. Was anything done to the engine or shaft system other than changing the stuffing box?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If one drop a sec isn’t cooling it, it’s not a lack of water flow.
The heat can only be coming from friction, my guess is that it’s not aligned properly and running pretty hard against something, eventually it will wear itself in, but I’d take it back since you spent good money to have all new replaced and request nicely what they intend to do to fix it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:08   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Take the nut all the way off and see what happens. Did they change the Cutlass bearing too?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:38   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

sometimes new packing gets pushed into the housing to tightly so it puts pressure on the shaft even when the adjusting ring is loose. The solution is to re-pack but since this was done by the yard I would take it back and ask them to redo it. The other possibility is that some system have a plain bronze bearing immediately behind the packing. Usually the is a grease system for it. If you have this it could be lake of lube or as others say misalignment. It is quite common the get alignment problems if the engine shaft work was done on the bank. Then when back in the water it needs to be realigned because the hull changes shape when floating. Was it check in the water?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:51   #7

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Try to loosen the shaft log hose and adjust the alignment of the packing gland.
It's probably touching the shaft some where, causing heat build up.
If the hose is to stiff it can force the packing gland against the shaft.
No wire in the shaft log hose, only reinforced with nylon plys.
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57   #8

Boat: Pearson 530

Are you sure about the 1/4 inch packing. We had graphite packing installed which was a change from the flax packing we had. It now runs cooler and drips less. Maybe just pulling the rings out and returning them back in without tightening them so much would help since you have had them pushed/squeezed a little.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:12   #9

Remove the packing they installed. Carefully measure for the right size packing. Some 1 inch shafts take 3/16" like mine, others even with the same boat take 1/4"!!! Go figure. Only way to do it right is for YOU to do it.

Good luck, nice new clean box, wow!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:45   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
That is unusual. My only guess is maybe the shaft is out of alignment. Was anything done to the engine or shaft system other than changing the stuffing box?

That was my first thought as well. ASee Marine Engines : Drive System Alignment by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:59   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"but I’d take it back since you spent good money to have all new replaced and request nicely what they intend to do to fix it."
I'd have to agree. "Takee fixee". If the manufacturer says that you are right and there is something wrong with the installation, it needs to be fixed, period. That shouldn't be your problem. Having it repacked with a more modern better material (i.e. GoreTex) should also be a no-brainer, might be an extra $20 to do it properly but that will more than pay off in the long run, by lasting so much longer.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:02   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Since it’s likely it’s going to be repacked, think about Gore-Tex. I went with Gore-Tex packing this time and It’s adjusted so there are no drips, you can see a water ring if you will where there is seepage and maybe it drips every ten minutes or so under power, but it runs cool.
I was worried at first, but it runs cool.
Been two hears and I haven’t had to readjust it once it got bedded in good.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:14   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

Remember that a flax packing needs to stay warm to keep the wax melted.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:31   #14

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

Shaft alignment....
Shaft should be aligned roughly when installed then fine tuned in the water. It should then be readjusted after using the boat for a week or so. The flexing of the hull which occurs on all boats can cause the alignment to change.

With the gear in Neutral is it easy to rotate the propshaft by hand? If not, check the alignment again.
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:33   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;2688303]Remove the packing they installed. Carefully measure for the right size packing. Some 1 inch shafts take 3/16" like mine, others even with the same boat take 1/4"!!! Go figure. Only way to do it right is for YOU to do it.

X2. The temperatures you mention are not exactly scorching hot. Personally I would just run it for a while longer and see what happens. That temperature is not going to hurt anything.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote