Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2015, 10:40   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Registering a boat in EU fast and simple - which country?

Hello,
I am sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but I found only old/outdated information.

I have bought my first sailboat last week and I need to register it (or basically get a flag to fly). The boat (27ft Albin Vega, 1974) is currently in Sweden and I need to sail it from her mooring by end of August. I am a Czech (EU) national, but Czech registry is non-sense as I would have to pay a technician to come to Sweden to issue a technical certificate.
Considering the age and price of the boat, it doesnt make much sense to pay for a survey or any other costly registration solution.

Has anyone registered a small sailboat in EU recently? Most countries (UK, Germany, Sweden) seem to require residency to register.

From what I found Belgium could be a way to go. Does anyone know the exact requirements and especially the process of obtaining their flag? Does it have to be made in person? Does the office communicate in English?

Is it possible to register a small sailboat in the Netherlands? If so, where and how? The only registry I found is for speed boats >20km/h.

Has anyone of you tried to register to UK SSR through a friend (UK address and credit card) recently?

I am sorry for so many questions, but I am quite desperate to be honest.

Thank you for any information and I appreciate any input. =)
Sinfected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 11:51   #2

Re: Registering a boat in EU fast and simple - which country?

Belgium is easy, except for the requirements that the registration and sale document are provided in one of the three official languages ... Flemish, French, or German. I provided a translation of my sale document into German, and had a local agent perform the paperwork ... very simple.

I used: Pavillon belge : Le site officiel de l'immatriculation de bateaux de plaisance sous pavillon belge ... they were helpful and nice.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 12:04   #3

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfected View Post
Is it possible to register a small sailboat in the Netherlands? If so, where and how? The only registry I found is for speed boats >20km/h.
This one registers all, but I am somewhat confused with "light" and "worldwide" registrations. You can ask them for info.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 13:22   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
Belgium is easy, except for the requirements that the registration and sale document are provided in one of the three official languages ... Flemish, French, or German. I provided a translation of my sale document into German, and had a local agent perform the paperwork ... very simple.

I used: Pavillon belge : Le site officiel de l'immatriculation de bateaux de plaisance sous pavillon belge ... they were helpful and nice.
They finished with that. Now for having a belgium banner basicly you have to live there or be a belgium citizen or have some sort of strong relationship with Belgium.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 15:05   #5

Boat: Various

I would recommend using a documentation agency. Yes, there is an added cost, but it's not as simple as you want. They can advise you based on where the boat is and will be going, how you intend to use it, where you are a resident, your citizenship and other factors what will work for you. They are a great insurance against screwing up.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 05:22   #6

Boat: Albin Vega 27

jannw, Sea Frog, Polux, BandB:
Thank you very much for help!
The Dutch broker agency looks promising.

For the future sake of someone with the same problem - apparently it is possible to get a Swedish flag even if you are not a Swedish national through a Swedish sailing club. Costs 500SEK/year. I haven't tried it yet though.
Sinfected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 08:37   #7

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Hi. As a EU citizen/resident, I have been scouting for a way to import a(n older non-COC) boat into the EU.

I found a service that allows one to get around the COC bit by having an address in Holland. the process I found looks pretty fast and easy. Once the documents are handed over, the paperwork apparently takes something like a week. I have not done it yet but am happy to have found someone who can help me when the time comes.

here is the link

Our registration products | Register your yacht under the*Dutch*flag.

if you check into it, i'd appreciate having feedback
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:17   #8

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Hi. As a EU citizen/resident, I have been scouting for a way to import a(n older non-COC) boat into the EU.

I found a service that allows one to get around the COC bit by having an address in Holland. the process I found looks pretty fast and easy. Once the documents are handed over, the paperwork apparently takes something like a week. I have not done it yet but am happy to have found someone who can help me when the time comes.

here is the link

Our registration products | Register your yacht under the*Dutch*flag.

if you check into it, i'd appreciate having feedback
You can also go directly to Yacht Registration Holland at

https://www.yachtregistration.company/

I personally would talk to someone who registers in more countries, not just one, and find out the pros and cons of Holland vs. other countries.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 12:07   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Hello,
Has anyone registered a small sailboat in EU recently? Most countries (UK, Germany, Sweden) seem to require residency to register.

Has anyone of you tried to register to UK SSR through a friend (UK address and credit card) recently?
Suggest you consider Jersey Island registration. Here’s a link to it all. Jersey is within the EU and everything can be done in English, You qualify to register your boat under your own name as an EU citizen because you’re a Czech national.

In respect to the UK Small Ships Register, it’s certainly the cheapest by far. £25 for five years. The owner is required to live in the UK for at least 185 days of the year. Here’s link to the relevant page. But a resident UK agent can represent the owner. Presumably your friend could be the agent.
Old 24-07-2015, 12:29   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Suggest you consider Jersey Island registration. Here’s a link to it all. Jersey is within the EU and everything can be done in English, You qualify to register your boat under your own name as an EU citizen because you’re a Czech national.

In respect to the UK Small Ships Register, it’s certainly the cheapest by far. £25 for five years. The owner is required to live in the UK for at least 185 days of the year. Here’s link to the relevant page. But a resident UK agent can represent the owner. Presumably your friend could be the agent.
Sorry, but Jersey is not in the EU.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 14:35   #11

Quote:
Hello,
I am sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but I found only old/outdated information.

I have bought my first sailboat last week and I need to register it (or basically get a flag to fly). The boat (27ft Albin Vega, 1974) is currently in Sweden and I need to sail it from her mooring by end of August. I am a Czech (EU) national, but Czech registry is non-sense as I would have to pay a technician to come to Sweden to issue a technical certificate.
Considering the age and price of the boat, it doesnt make much sense to pay for a survey or any other costly registration solution.

From what I found Belgium could be a way to go. Does anyone know the exact requirements and especially the process of obtaining their flag? Does it have to be made in person? Does the office communicate in English?

I am sorry for so many questions, but I am quite desperate to be honest.

Thank you for any information and I appreciate any input. =)
Pavillon Belge is the easyest way to do, you then will get a Dutch registration from the tourist organisation ANWB!

Regards, Martin
Maver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 15:22   #12

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Isle of Man is definitely the easiest. A foreign corporation can own the boat ie does not have to be an Isle of Man corporation that some British dominions require.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 16:41   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sorry, but Jersey is not in the EU.
Sincere apologies. I thought it was obviously. Although would that matter for what he needs? Don't know.
Old 24-07-2015, 19:36   #14

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Dont forget Malta with the or 1 of the biggest registers world wide. Definitions and processes are described here:

Pleasure Yacht Registration Under The Malta Flag - Transport - Malta

El
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 02:45   #15

In case of a Dutch flag, besides the agency www.yachtregistration.company/, you may also want to consider www.pavillon-hollandais.com or dutch-flag-for-yachts.nl.
Ashanti is offline   Reply With Quote