Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 01:25   #46

Re: Registering a boat in EU fast and simple - which country?

I'm Belgian, dutch version of the "registration of pleasure yachts in Belgium":
https://mobilit.belgium.be/nl/scheep...immatriculatie

Yacht must be minimum 50% owned by a Belgian person or a person that is a resident of Belgium.
AlfaGTV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:46   #47

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

My tendency these days is to reconsider registration in the US. Now that they have multiple year registration and with a boat on Europe now means no importation due until your return.

Schengen and VAT are different issues and really have not a lot to do with where you register.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:44   #48
Seaman, Delivery skipper

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Registering a boat in EU fast and simple - which country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I tried to do this but was rejected by the SSR. It could be because I am American but really I have no idea why.
Maybe because you did it online and likely paid with American cc..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 09:30   #49

This is a quagmire, only made worse by Brexit for a Brit living in Germany....But maybe someone can offer advice for my unusual case.

I have just bought a French registered boat but it is currently located in Madagascar. French, Belgian, Dutch and UK SSR registration all require residency, but how does this work if you are a live aboard (I don't but when I call them I will claim I do...)?

UK Part 1 might work, but requires a measurement and tonnage certificate provided by a surveyor. This is an expensive route anyway, but sending a surveyor half way around the world is going to make it even worse....

Germany registration will be a pain because Germany does not recognize my UK RYA qualifications....

Malta will not accept boats over 20 years old.....

And I really don't want to register the boat outside of the EU. She is a big trimaran, and the only serious market for these boats is in France, and the VAT would be payable all over again....

Any suggestions ?
Triang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 09:56   #50

Boat: been sitting it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triang View Post
This is a quagmire, only made worse by Brexit for a Brit living in Germany....But maybe someone can offer advice for my unusual case.

I have just bought a French registered boat but it is currently located in Madagascar. French, Belgian, Dutch and UK SSR registration all require residency, but how does this work if you are a live aboard (I don't but when I call them I will claim I do...)?

UK Part 1 might work, but requires a measurement and tonnage certificate provided by a surveyor. This is an expensive route anyway, but sending a surveyor half way around the world is going to make it even worse....

Germany registration will be a pain because Germany does not recognize my UK RYA qualifications....

And I really don't want to register the boat outside of the EU. She is a big trimaran, and the only serious market for these boats is in France, and the VAT would be payable all over again....

Any suggestions ?

are you sure that Dutch registration requires residency?

the other day i noted that they offer a rather expensive registration scheme (about 2K euros) to just about any boat anywhere, available for anyone...

here's the link. i do not know anyone who has done this, cannot vouch:
https://www.yachtregistration.compan...-registration/
Old 16-06-2019, 10:20   #51
Seaman, Delivery skipper

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Any suggestions ?
Gibraltar..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 16-06-2019, 10:59   #52

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:

Any suggestions ?

I don't think that's correct but in your case it does not matter since your boat lost its VAT status when it changed hands outside the EU. It must return with the same owners as when it left or VAT is payable again.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 20:30   #53

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Why not have a look at ADAC? 26 EUR for 2 years. And for sure you dont need any certificates.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:27   #54

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

apologies for the OT question, but will registering in another EU country impact insurance? Or can you register in one country and insure in another, is the insurance rather bound to registration, or to license of the capatain? (Sooner or later I will be in the same situation, hence asking )
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 15:23   #55

Try Sweden...
YadaYada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:31   #56

Boat: Vancouver 27'

DanielCZ, Some insurance companies refuse to write insurance policies in certain countries. Yyacht will not write in Portugal or poland, because those countries require the policy be written in their language. Boatman was nice enough to direct me to Pantaenius, who will write in Portugal. So it appears to depend on the country.

Where to register continues to be complex. Each country has VERY different rules, within the EU, for registration. Online services frequently offer the world, initially, only to find reality is very different. Brexit is throwing Form1 registrations out the window for most EU members, Belgium now requires 51% Belgian ownership, Portugal requires...a lot is all I will say. The Netherlands "light" registration is not a registration and their full registration is pricey.

Although I live in Europe and my boat lives in Europe, I am registering in the US (dual citizen). At the moment I am trying to figure out if and which state I need to register in, since I live in none of them.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:54   #57
Seaman, Delivery skipper

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

A few Portuguese I know register through a Delaware LLC.. and not just for boats.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:21   #58

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

I thought to go with Dutch registration, 299Eur, but if you say there is a light and full registration I need to dive deeper into the issue, guess Sweden seems to be the simplest option.
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:46   #59

Boat: Vancouver 27'

YES! Read carefully. Typically, the "light" version, is a simple document of ownership. It does not fully flag a vessel, as I understand it. Some EU countries, Portugal most notably, WATCH for Dutch Light documents and find them invalid.

One Company I looked at, was pretty direct, and warned against using their "light" service, if you plan on entering Portuguese waters. Other companies are much less forthcoming, and you will find online complaints about what they believed they had paid for versus what they received.

You will typically see either BOTH listed with a comparison OR a strong push to buy the 299 Euro light document. I don't know what Sweden requires. You should check. Portugal is fairly complex. They require an initial haul out inspection, recurring 10 year haul out inspections, voiding of the registration at age 70, and a stepped level of registration for inland, Day skipper and offshore licensed applicants.

There is no uniformity within EU members, and I have been unable to find a sound 1-stop person, for legal advice. I contacted my lawyer in Lisbon, who suggested I would be best served to personally research each potential registering country. She was only able to refer me to an attorney who deals with Commercial vessels.

Insurance is a different and equally complex issue. Pantaenius SPAIN's office will handle insurance in Spain and Portugal, but not if the boat is registered in the US. Pantaenius US office will only handle you if you have a US ADDRESS.

I am currently struggling with the legalese on the US coast guard Registration form. This seems to be contradictory in that is asks for a hailing port to be marked on the vessel, yet I also found that they DO NOT require this for a USCG registration but only for a state title.

You have my sympathy.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote