Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 10:12   #16

Re: Which is the best Trawlers - after Grand Bank of course.

For a true bluewater trawler the Seahorse Marine Diesel Duck range are unbeatable. They are steel boats with a long range under power. Plus they have a sailing rig that is good for stabilization, and as emergency "get home" package good for about 4 knots. The build quality is superb and they come in a range of sizes from about 36ft and up.

They are based on a George Bueller design, and as such Diesel Ducks are even available in wood as a custom build.

Check them out.
Jimnche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:31   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I would look for one with a semi hard chine and a canoe stern at the waterline but not on deck. Bruce Roberts Goodson had a hell of a good design of a 48'. Back when.

Be ware of those called trawler that a bay plows.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:47   #18

You might also take a look at pilot house trawlers vs the traditional lay outs. The mrs can bring me a cup of coffee, sit at the helm for hours, help navigate, and never get wet, cold, nor heat stroke. Windows and doors all open and close!

Those fly bridge are covered in plastic curtains cuz they don't have a pilot house.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:49   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Nordhavn doesnt meet the length spec.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 11:07   #20

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Marine Trader makes 2-3 fiberglass models in the 32' to 40' range, all of which are available in single and twin engines and competitively priced. I had a 46' model and was very pleased with the boat overall.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 11:17   #21

Thanks for all the great info. We are still in the looking process as we need to sale our Island Packet 31 first.
Yes, we have a broker.
Thanks, HopCar for the link to the Trawler Forum and to SVCalliroe for the book "Voyaging Under Power". Both of these suggestions will help with the search along with the internet. Thank goodness for the internet.
Our budget is $40-50,000.00. We will purchase a used vessel and are very used to putting things back to together but would like it to at least have good engines. We have had several sailboats in the last 20 years. We live in the St Petersburg area and coastal cruise the west coast down to the keys for the last few years with the hope of going to Cuba in the future and maybe back to the Bahamas. I haven't been there since the 70's.
josmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 11:44   #22

Glass Grand Banks are tough. In more expensive stuff the Tugboat types are very nice. Nordic, American, Victory Tug. Cheoy Lee and Marine Trader can be pretty iffy if they are old.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 11:55   #23

Also consider carefully the systems on board. Some have electric stoves and 120V fridges. Coming from a sailing background, you are most likely more sued to 12V fridges and propane or CNG stoves. Newer trawlers are coming with "sailboat" systems for longer ranges and less dependence on electric (inverter or generator) stuff.

Happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 14:47   #24

Boat: Scout 30

Funny, after 15 years of trawlering we're thinking about going back to sailing & the IP 31 centerboard version is on our short list. If you're set on the 70's to 80's Taiwan breed the Grand Banks is my favorite but a couple things to beware of, teak decks & iron tanks. Both are a bitch to replace. Marine Traders & Albins have their own issues, mainly leaks around window, deck issues & leaking tanks. Almost all of these came with Ford Lehmans which seem to be pretty good motors. These all have semi displacement hulls or hard chines which shortens the roll but also quickens it. The Willards are full displacement hulls which makes them more seaworthy & efficient but they roll more. Price on all of these comes down to age & condition. You might be able to fine a newer Eagle in your price range which are really nice. Personally I'm a fan of single vs twins just because it's less cost & maintenance & a lot less to repower. Some of the other names mentioned like Nordhavn & Diesel Duck are way out of your price range. I found this listing on Ebay. Looks like it might be a lot of boat for the money which could be a good thing or might be a very bad thing.
No Reserve Grand Banks 42 Trawler Freshwater 1980 Twin Diesels Newer Genset | eBay
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 15:56   #25

OP, you mentioned that you're a Fl/Bahamas sailor; Great Harbour makes a nice 37 trawler with a 2'10" draft, perfect for that area.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 16:38   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
OP, you mentioned that you're a Fl/Bahamas sailor; Great Harbour makes a nice 37 trawler with a 2'10" draft, perfect for that area.
Great Harbors are interesting boats. Residential appliances & everything runs off the generator. They'd be great liveaboards but at 300k + again well outside the OP's budget of 40 - 50k which is certainly enough to get a decent trawler.

1973 Grand Banks 36 Classic Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1974 Grand Banks Classic Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1979 Fairchild Yachts Scout 30 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 17:04   #27

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
Marine Trader makes 2-3 fiberglass models in the 32' to 40' range, all of which are available in single and twin engines and competitively priced. I had a 46' model and was very pleased with the boat overall.
I would second this recommendation. You should be able to buy a pretty nice Marine Trader in your price range. I like their flybridge models.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 17:39   #28

To the original poster , I have just posted some books for sale that you may be interested in , Voyaging under power plus Geo Buhler,s book , in this forum classified .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 13:39   #29

Boat: Riviera 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by josmason View Post
We are a cruising couple who have aged out of sailboats and are looking at trawlers. What do the coastal cruisers think are the Best Trawlers between 32 to 36 feet? Please tell me why you like the one or ones you think are the best?
Yes GBs are great if you can afford one. I have a 1998 38 ft Marine Trader Classic, its a bit like a grown up GB 36 but not the same quality. Mine has a 210 Cummins and bow and Stern thrusters plus 3x aircons etc,and all the best extras, for a $105,000 boat, that's hard to beat. We have done the loop plus Exumas, Eleuthera, and currently in Abacoes. Has handled all weathers,and with big water and fuel capacity along with 2.5 gph at 7 knots I cant complain, not the height of luxury but a great workhorse, and yes I will be selling it to return to Australia in July. My next boat, probably a GB 42.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 13:58   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Great Harbors are interesting boats. Residential appliances & everything runs off the generator. They'd be great liveaboards but at 300k + again well outside the OP's budget of 40 - 50k which is certainly enough to get a decent trawler.

1973 Grand Banks 36 Classic Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1979 Fairchild Yachts Scout 30 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
The Scout looks like an old Richardsen?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trawler