Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 17:17   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
A couple of basic questions - we don't know what we don't know.

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum. Like so many other people, we're considering buying a boat. We're looking at a Cruiser 405 with a flybridge or something similar for cruising from Florida to Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico ports. We have a couple of questions and we're hoping someone can help.

Our boat could be docked two or three weeks without anyone being there. Mold and mildew is a factor in Florida. While we're away, should the a/c be left on (maybe set to 80 degrees or so) to prevent mold and mildew from building up? Should the refrigerator be left on or is it normal procedure to empty it and turn it off?

Also, if we cruise to the Bahamas, we would have to stop and clear customs upon arrival. How do they feel about having a personal weapon on board for personal protection?

Thanks for any insights.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 17:33   #2

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Re: A couple of basic questions - we don't know what we don't know.

Welcome,

If you go to the Bahamas you must check in ad get a cruising permit. $300 for one year. (There may be short term rates )

You can take firearms but you must declare it and give them an ammo count.

You WILL go to a very 3rd world jail if you do not declare it and it gets found.

You will need to check in with Customs when returning to the US. You can get a DTOPS sticker before leaving and avoid having to go to the customs at the port or airport when you return to the USA. You simply call in. You can go to the coast guard station to get signed up.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 19:15   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

A small domestic dehumidifier would be a lot more efficient that leaving the aircon running.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 19:32   #4

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

When we took our boat to Florida for the winter of 2013-14 from November through February, we left the AC running the entire time, but set on about 78, and we left our refrigerator running. We spent about half the time on the boat and half time back in Tennessee. We had no problems with humidity or mildew/mold. We have a wireless thermometer with sensors for both the refrigerator and freezer that gives the high and low for our refrigerator/freezer and monitor our refrigeration system with it. We didn't leave stuff in the refrigerator or freezer that would go bad during the time we were gone. It was nice to drive down to Punta Gorda from Tennessee, get out of the car and walk into a boat with some supplies and a conditioned interior. We never had any problems with the refrigerator staying within limits.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 04:40   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
We're looking at a Cruiser 405 with a flybridge or something similar for cruising from Florida to Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico ports.

Our boat could be docked two or three weeks without anyone being there. Mold and mildew is a factor in Florida. While we're away, should the a/c be left on (maybe set to 80 degrees or so) to prevent mold and mildew from building up? Should the refrigerator be left on or is it normal procedure to empty it and turn it off?

Depending on your comfort level, be aware you can solve some docking issues during the shopping phase. Some motor yachts suffer from visibility issues (aft) and high windage... both solvable with either a different boat style or some add-on technology (back-up cameras, bow thrusters, etc.).

During our 90+ºF and 95% humidity periods (mostly July and August) we often leave our ACs on for the duration. Usually set to 80°F or so. If the heat/humidity abates, we can use the built-in "dehumidifier" mode and get by. It's not just about mold, but also about whether some of the wall coverings will begin to dry out and curl up...

When we lived in FL we found a household humidifier insufficient unless relatively large, and then there's periodic drainage to solve. Easier to use the built-in units, and they seemed to have better "reach" throughout the whole boat anyway.

We leave our fridges stocked and on. OTOH, that doesn't mean fully crammed full, just whatever's in there.

That said... we're only 10 minutes from our marina, I'm able to be there often, and we're on the boat much of the time during the season anyway. Given a more substantial distance, I think I'd be picking my marina carefully (on-site staff willing to help monitor, or react to power outages, etc.) and I think I'd also consider installing a monitoring system that could alert me (hence, marina staff) to potential issues.

-Chris
Old 19-05-2016, 04:49   #6

Some really good advice, especially about the monitoring systems. First we had heard of these. Can you recommend some good brands/models?
Old 19-05-2016, 04:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If the heat/humidity abates, we can use the built-in "dehumidifier" mode and get by.

-Chris
Do all marine a/c units have a dehumidifier mode?
Old 19-05-2016, 04:52   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 07:34   #9

as long as air is circulating mould and mildew will not be a problem. I have connected seeral DC pancake fans together to a dedicated battery with solar panel and just let it run
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 07:40   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Some really good advice, especially about the monitoring systems. First we had heard of these. Can you recommend some good brands/models?
'Fraid I don't know much about brands, but there's apparently a bazillion of 'em out there. Household system, cameras, fire/fume/high water sensors, etc... and some of those can be connected (Wi-Fi or cellular) to send you signals and so forth.

Quote:
Do all marine a/c units have a dehumidifier mode?
Don't know, but I think it's common. You can usually check the owners manual online or a given model, once you have candidate boats in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
as long as air is circulating mould and mildew will not be a problem. I have connected seeral DC pancake fans together to a dedicated battery with solar panel and just let it run
Good point. I forgot to mention that usually whenever we're not actually running the whole AC, we have the AC blowers going anyway. And then we have portable table-top fans running in each of the main areas almost all the time, too.

-Chris
Old 19-05-2016, 08:54   #11

Thanks for the info, Will. Sounds easy enough. And that's a great tip about the DTOPS sticker.
Old 19-05-2016, 09:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A small domestic dehumidifier would be a lot more efficient that leaving the aircon running.
For sure. Rest it on a counter and drain into the sink.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 09:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a dehumidifier and the Webasto airconditioner.
First I think the dehumidify mode on an AC is a sales gimmick, an airconditioner is a dehumidifier, that is why they have condensate, so don't worry if your AC doesn't have a dehumidify mode, your house AC doesn't most likely and yet, it keeps the house dehumidified.

A dehumidifier is nothing but a small AC, just has the condenser coil just after the evaporator coil, that way water condenses on the condenser, and the refrigerated air is re-heated by the condenser, in fact since work is being done, heat is generated.
So in winter months I run the dehumidifier and it keeps the inside of the boat warm.
But in Summer months I don't want to heat the inside of the boat, so I run the AC set on 80F and it keeps the boat dry and cool.
No problems with mildew or mold yet (knocks wood)

Oh, on my powerboat I used to run the humidifier drain to the sink, on my sailboat I run it to the shower bilge, but it's easy to find a place to run the drain, water made is not all that much
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:16   #14

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum. Like so many other people, we're considering buying a boat. We're looking at a Cruiser 405 with a flybridge or something similar for cruising from Florida to Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico ports. We have a couple of questions and we're hoping someone can help.

Also, if we cruise to the Bahamas, we would have to stop and clear customs upon arrival. How do they feel about having a personal weapon on board for personal protection?

Thanks for any insights.

John
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

We also have periods of absence from our boat, so I will share what we do for the following 3 aspects you touched upon:
  • Mold/mildew control
  • Remote vessel monitoring
  • Refrigeration [and food storage] while we are absent from the boat

Mold/mildew control:
As others have mentioned, an efficient dehumidifier [or two...] is more energy efficient than running your AC while gone. [And keeps the hours off your AC...] By draining the dehumidifier into a sink, or better yet, a shower sump- which requires no through hulls be open in your absence- it will run self sufficiently in your absence.

We had to replace our old, air conditioning compressor type of dehumidifier last year. I researched and found some newer technology that is far superior [e.g., smaller, lighter, much quieter and energy efficient. Here is our brief blog post with more details if interested.]

The unit we went with is:
EcoSeb DD122EA-SIMPLE Desiccant Dehumidifier, 15-Pint, White, 120V

We also have AC, but don't need to run it as often as you do. It is great for keeping the boat dry [and cool of course...] IF it has a drain from its sump... The rest of the time the dehumidifier takes care of everything, along with circulation fans in the various cabins...

Remote vessel monitoring:
You also asked about remote vessel monitoring systems. We needed one too, and after careful research, installed a fully remotely configurable Siren Marine unit a couple of years ago. Fantastic peace of mind.

We can program and change settings remotely from our smart phones, and it notifies us of everything via text messages and/or emails. [We do both; emails mainly for the record...]

It has internal battery [and is connected to the house bank]; GPS; and an international SIM card good in 180 countries [but ours has only been used in Alaska and Canada so far...]

Among many other things, we routinely monitor: [and are automatically alerted when thresholds we set are reached, exceeded, and when regained...]
  • Battery voltage [with hi/low alert thresholds we set]
  • Shore power
  • Bile pump events: runtimes and cycles
  • High water alarm
  • Temperature inside the boat [With an additional probe in the freezer...]
  • GPS Location, and whether boat has moved [We set a 200 meter perimeter...]
  • Intrusion detection
  • We can also activate deck and/or interior lights from our phone. [Typically as we approach the boat in the dark. We have both programmed to automatically shut off 5 mins after activation...]
  • Etc.
Here is our blog post with many more details and links to other resources if you are interested.

Refrigeration:
You also asked about leaving refrigeration running: When we dock the boat for a land adventure of days, weeks, or sometimes even a month or more, we leave everything stocked and running- just like a home; because it is our home. Longer absences may need to be dealt with differently, and of course perishables that will perish during our absence are dealt with before we leave the boat.

Best wishes getting everything sorted out for your new adventures!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 19-05-2016, 11:28   #15

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

This is a good reference for leaving your boat behind.

Leave The Boat on the Hard Checklist
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote