Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 18:54   #1

Boat: 1986 Grand Soleil 39
Basic Perkins 4.108M questions

Greetings all.

Was wondering if some of the Perkins experts had some time to go over a bit of basic info. I have an 1986 (the year I'm assuming) 4.108M with a Bukh saildrive on my same year Grand Soleil 39. It appears to be neither a "highline" nor a "lowline" model, but rather a "new" model (according to the handbook I found...which, to be honest, could be described as "hardly informational" at best).

I'm looking for info on finding a comprehensive rebuild manual or resources regarding taking good care of this motor. I saw the PDF manual location post. Any additional info would be appreciated.

There also seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the correct oil filter for this motor. Anyone have the definitive answer?

And while I'm asking basic questions, anyone having any problems installing new zincs? Any explainations and/or tips would be great. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Take care all.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 00:15   #2

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Perkins 4.108

I have a manual for the 4.108 Perkins, bought it from a second hand book shop - gotta get lucky sometimes

If there was some specific info you wanted, let me know and I will scan and e.mail to you.

Replacement oil filter I have is a Valvoline V-01; same filter will fit Toyota Landcruiser FJ & FZJ petrol; BJ diesel.

From all reports, the Perkins is a great, reliable workhorse that should give many years of service.

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:25   #3

Boat: Pearson 365- Trident
Alchemy, I have a 4-108 in my Person 365. I use a Fram PH8A as a replacement oil filter. I lucked out and have the original manual. As far as basic info, and I see you are in South Florida, here in St. Petersburg, a company called Mastry Diesel puts on seminars for about $150.00. The class I went to last month was taught by Chuck Husick of Boat US. He is a very knowledgeable guy and has worked in the marine and aviation indusrty for years. Although Mastry is a Yanmar dealer, Husick covers all engines and has even owned a few Perkins. Hope it helps. Sailwiz
SailWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 16:41   #4
cruiser

The PDF manual referred to on this site was excellent. I read it cover to cover and feel mostly prepared for any "in boat" repairs. I recently rebuilt my starter with no manual, then saw some great info in the PDF manual regarding the rebuild.

I also have the "new" model. It's a 1987.

Other folks should step in here who are diesel mechanics, but there are several types of filters that fit and/or are the same size in radius and length/height.

I used a NAPA Gold filter with a 5 digit serial number, which the NAPA in my current area couldn't locate. So... they opened up the "big book of engines" and looked up the 4.108. The filter I am using right this moment is the Napa Gold 1806. There are many that will fit.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 17:17   #5

Sean, Do you have the link to the PDF manual? My computer crashed awhile ago and I lost it. Thanks, Wiz
Old 02-05-2006, 17:40   #6

Boat: 1986 Grand Soleil 39
Here's the link:

http://www.capedory.org/manuals/Perk...shopManual.pdf
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 18:16   #7

Alchemy, Awesome. Thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 18:36   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you ever are in need of parts or other info:

http://www.tadiesels.com/index.htm

Probably the best source for Perkins info on the east coast. They scour the English countryside looking for Perkins engines / parts.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:38   #9
cruiser

perkins

Detriot Diesel Allison were selling 30 HP 3 cylindre engines with hurth transmisions rated at 15 HP . The trannys were crapping out in 60 hours , and Detriot Diesel Allison flatly refused to warantee them, saying that they were rated for 30 HP pleasure boat use, and no pleasure boat will ever go more than 12 hours in a stretch.Seveal friends who bought these packages from Detroit Diesel Allison were S.O.L and had to buy new trannys out of their own pocket.
Detriot Diesel Allison was the company that provided Diesels for BC Ferry's fast cats , which were a total disaster.
Twin disk makes tranny's which are the same dimensions as the Hurth, but much better trannys ,and cheaper as well.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Louis,

I think you connected to the wrong thread.
Old 04-05-2006, 13:53   #11
cruiser

Perkins Diesel

The engines they were selling were 30 HP 3 cylindre Perkins.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 15:29   #12
Moderator Emeritus

None of this is related to the topic. I mean if it is a subject you want to discuss start a new topic. It's OK to start a new toipic if you want to. But this has nothing to do with this topic.

FWIW, I know the relationship with DTA and Perkins. Hurth makes more marine transmissions than about anyone else. DTA made engines for Perkins way back too - I own one.
Old 07-05-2006, 13:40   #13

Boat: Westsail 32
I have an old 4-108M myself in our westsail 32. Thus far I've been using stock "Perkins" oil and fuel filters and they seem to be doing the trick. Just curious why you wouldn't want to use these?
micoverde is offline   Reply With Quote