Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 09:19   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: The day the diesel died ...

One more vote for no main, sail with jib alone.

If I'm sailing off the wind, I find this much more controlled and comfortable. It takes a lot of effort off the autohelm. And if you jibe, nothing is going to hit you in the head.

If you had doused the main, then maybe the autohelm would have been sufficient. 6 foot waves don't sound that bad, but I wasn't there.

It sounds like you had a tough time, but managed and arrived safely. Well done. I'm sure you learned a lot. For example, I bet you will double check the key every damn time now! I have a long list of things I check and double check when sailing. My kids and crew hate it! They are all like "whats the chances of that happening?" Although the chances are slim, the consequences are serious...so I keep checking and rechecking.

I'm guessing you are going to add a spare starter to your parts kit as well.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm tired of the stories about beautiful beaches and what fancy drinks were served in the cockpit. I like stories like yours...smoke in the engine room, big waves, sailing all night...thats the good stuff!!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:34   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i know well the starter burnout half way between bfegypt and ohellimagonnadieville.
btdt.
so i now keep spare starter and i have racors not requiring my breaking prime to change cartridges. i am also replacing in full my fuel delivery system from deck fitting to engine, and my engine has been rebuilt. hoping my fuel system in full is subsequently adequate for this boat.
i hope your issue was only starter burnout. speeedy repairs and smooth sailing.
i hear your sailing grounds are gorgeous.
can you make your ignition system more like a sporty car with a key then a push button for engaging engine? might prevent the lil connection defect that caused the initial event...mine uses a 2 stage key. must hold over for engaging starter. many ways to separate the devil from the electrickery.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:43   #18

Boat: '95 Catalina 30

Hey Gord, I assume that remote switch connects to the ignition switch behind the panel? Are those wires really heavy enough to carry the current? I trust you have one and have used before... Jim
jamesdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:19   #19

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Seems like you did a good job of making the best of the situation. One other thing that might have helped you is to have struck the main entirely and gone on however much of the genoa as was appropriate. Many boat will go broad reaching/running much more stably without the main trying to drive the bow up and broach the boat. Might give that a try sometime convenient!

Jim
Jim, did we meet in Guanaja, Honduras and sail to the Vivarillo together back on 05? Taught me how to clean a conch?

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:24   #20

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdavis View Post
Hey Gord, I assume that remote switch connects to the ignition switch behind the panel? Are those wires really heavy enough to carry the current? I trust you have one and have used before... Jim

A mechanic's remote start switch controls the small solenoid on the starter motor. It does not carry a large current as that is the job of the starter solenoid. These things are very simple and quick to hook up. If you get one try it out before you need it. Every engine is a little different and this is not a task suited for on-the-job-training. They connect to terminals near or on the starter, not the key switch panel.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:53   #21

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
6 foot waves don't sound that bad, but I wasn't there.
Well I was there, and they were a bit intimidating ... so I took a short video to show the harsh scary death-defying conditions I was enduring ...

but viewing it here in the comfort of the harbour, it just looks like a boat sailing happily along, I didn't catch one of the bigger (6ft) waves on video, but the video just shows what looks like great sailing conditions. It was only rough conditions because I am inexperienced, not because Neptune was out to punish me. After all I survived 14 hours of it, 4 of them in darkness, without going mad or anything else going wrong.

I always thought that this little boat was a better sailor than I am, and that night proved it.

prepare to be underwhelmed by the severity of the sea state...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...HdERE9vYVZRWGc
(excuse the squeak in my wheel-brake).
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 13:07   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I haven't seen a Hullmaster in person, but from the specs she looks like a well-designed boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 13:07   #23

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Welcome to Alaska, where everything tries to kill you.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 14:02   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Jim, did we meet in Guanaja, Honduras and sail to the Vivarillo together back on 05? Taught me how to clean a conch?
Nope, must have been my evil twin... we've never been in that area, only the Pacific and its near neighbors.

Jim
Old 06-08-2017, 14:08   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Loved yr tale & well written I might add. Another tip for you if you have an inflatable dinghy with outboard and are stuck trying to get into harbour with no wind is to lash the dinghy alongside & use the outboard to push her. Don't try & tow from the bow with a towline from the dinghy as u'll drive yrself insane trying to keep the inflatable on a straight track. We have done this a few times in a 7ft inflatable with a 2hp outboard to tow our 26ft keeler. Love that Pacific Northwest but you shure need your diesel for those narrows. It's all a learning curve cobber
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 14:22   #26

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Welcome to Alaska, where everything tries to kill you.
But apart from all that ... cruising here is still "rainbows and unicorns"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sP7106669.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	153559   Click image for larger version

Name:	sP7150199.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	153560  

Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 14:46   #27

Boat: Catalina 387

Bye bye, that Alaskan sky
Drove my boat to the anchor but the water was high
The starter was gone, I'm sure it did fry
This'll be the day the diesel dies, oh this i'll be the day the diesel dies....
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 15:02   #28

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
A mechanic's remote start switch controls the small solenoid on the starter motor. It does not carry a large current as that is the job of the starter solenoid. These things are very simple and quick to hook up. If you get one try it out before you need it. Every engine is a little different and this is not a task suited for on-the-job-training. They connect to terminals near or on the starter, not the key switch panel.

Also very handy for when you can't find the key. Of course that has never happened to me... [emoji849]
Old 06-08-2017, 15:10   #29

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Well I was there, and they were a bit intimidating ... so I took a short video to show the harsh scary death-defying conditions I was enduring ...

but viewing it here in the comfort of the harbour, it just looks like a boat sailing happily along, I didn't catch one of the bigger (6ft) waves on video, but the video just shows what looks like great sailing conditions. It was only rough conditions because I am inexperienced, not because Neptune was out to punish me. After all I survived 14 hours of it, 4 of them in darkness, without going mad or anything else going wrong.

I always thought that this little boat was a better sailor than I am, and that night proved it.

Now that you've been through it is probably starting to seem in retrospect a bit like a non-event. That will be true as you sail more and more. What was once anxiety provoking, simply because it was new and seemed fraught with the unknown, will be just another "Oh bother..." inconvenience.

Sea states and boat handling in particular becomes much less of an issue as you learn how to rig the boat for conditions.
Old 06-08-2017, 15:20   #30

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
One more vote for no main, sail with jib alone.

If I'm sailing off the wind, I find this much more controlled and comfortable. It takes a lot of effort off the autohelm. And if you jibe, nothing is going to hit you in the head.

If you had doused the main, then maybe the autohelm would have been sufficient. 6 foot waves don't sound that bad, but I wasn't there.

It sounds like you had a tough time, but managed and arrived safely. Well done. I'm sure you learned a lot. For example, I bet you will double check the key every damn time now! I have a long list of things I check and double check when sailing. My kids and crew hate it! They are all like "whats the chances of that happening?" Although the chances are slim, the consequences are serious...so I keep checking and rechecking.

I'm guessing you are going to add a spare starter to your parts kit as well.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm tired of the stories about beautiful beaches and what fancy drinks were served in the cockpit. I like stories like yours...smoke in the engine room, big waves, sailing all night...thats the good stuff!!!!
I am sooo glad that I have been enjoying the "good stuff" all this time. Every time we are out, good old Murphy is lurking around just waiting for us to get complacent and careless. If I am ever on a trip that has only beautiful beaches with palapas, fancy drinks, and beautiful woman on the beach (as shown on travel posters), I will figure it is time to get out of the hot sun!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel