Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 16:43   #31

Re: The day the diesel died ...

There should be a way to install an idiot light indicating when the starter motor is running and when it shuts down.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 16:59   #32

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
There should be a way to install an idiot light indicating when the starter motor is running and when it shuts down.
My smoke alarm is inside the main cabin. I'm wondering whether a smoke alarm inside the engine compartment itself would have triggered early enough so that there was still enough life in the starter to start the engine.

Or once smoke starts coming out is it already too late? At least my smoke alarm got me to shut it down before anything burst into flames.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:00   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
..... I switch batteries and try again ... the same feeble sound. With the starter key in the cockpit I can't actually see if it is even turning the engine, so I place my camera on the cabin floor and set it recording a video, and try again. The starter does turn the engine, but with no oompf ... It'll never get it going.

So what to do next? .......
A tip for the OP, if your engine has decompression levers (and many do), operate them and then hit the stater, once the engine is spinning over at a good rate, release one lever and it is most likely to fire on that cylinder; if so then release the others and the cylinders will fire.

You don't need much oompf from a starter motor to get enough momentum into the flywheel when the cylinder(s) is(are) decompressed.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
A tip for the OP, if your engine has decompression levers (and many do), operate them and then hit the stater, once the engine is spinning over at a good rate, release one lever and it is most likely to fire on that cylinder; if so then release the others and the cylinders will fire.

You don't need much oompf from a starter motor to get enough momentum into the flywheel when the cylinder(s) is(are) decompressed.
Unfortunately my engine (Beta) does not have decompression levers ... without both good batteries and a starter motor I don't think there's any way to start it.
Old 06-08-2017, 17:20   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Unfortunately my engine (Beta) does not have decompression levers ... without both good batteries and a starter motor I don't think there's any way to start it.
Gotta agree!

I love those Beta engines except for the lack of the decompression ability.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:23   #36
rbk

Boat: T37

Assuming by your description that you were in one of two towns north of edgcume, and your description of the bay I can assume you were within 5nm of a small fishing village that gets upwards of a dozen float planes direct from Juneau daily. Any one of those fishing boats would have gladly towed you in free of charge (customary to buy a round or two at Rosie's or Coho's, guessing the later) and could have had a new starter in the next day or two and half the dock would've come out to help you install it whether you needed the help or not. Everyone is still civil up here and willing to help out at the drop of a hat. Glad you made it to Sitka safe. Alaskan's and northerners in general can be standoffish to outsiders but when you ask a few questions and are respectful we can be some of the most welcoming, helpful people on the planet, even the most grizzled fisherman. Just don't piss us off.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:25   #37

Boat: Seafarer36c

If you have more than one 12v batt it's easy to get enough power for a start. 2 almost dead 12v batts in series will get you going. You need to be carefull what you have turned on as even 18v will fry some some stuff but not a starter motor.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 18:02   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Assuming by your description that you were in one of two towns north of edgcume, and your description of the bay I can assume you were within 5nm of a small fishing village that gets upwards of a dozen float planes direct from Juneau daily. Any one of those fishing boats would have gladly towed you in free of charge (customary to buy a round or two at Rosie's or Coho's, guessing the later) and could have had a new starter in the next day or two and half the dock would've come out to help you install it whether you needed the help or not. Everyone is still civil up here and willing to help out at the drop of a hat. Glad you made it to Sitka safe. Alaskan's and northerners in general can be standoffish to outsiders but when you ask a few questions and are respectful we can be some of the most welcoming, helpful people on the planet, even the most grizzled fisherman. Just don't piss us off.
I had started the day in Pelican and was about 20 miles south. I certainly considered seeing if I could get a tow back there. But on balance pushing on to Sitka seemed the better option. Once there it was just a half hour tow into harbour and lots of boats around, a fishing boat was with me within ten minutes of asking and happily (and expertly) towed me in ... yes people are certainly friendly up here.
Old 06-08-2017, 19:39   #39
rbk

Boat: T37

When you said pulling through the islands into a protected bay I thought I had it pegged at Althorp and you were 3 nm from Elfin. If you were out of Lisianski and down the cost it's a toss up. Six foot swell can turn into ten foot breakers when they meet the ebb tide and getting towed through that can be nasty. Hope everything works out and you enjoy the trip.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:32   #40

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara
But apart from all that ... cruising here is still "rainbows and unicorns"
How long will you be there? We pulled in last Sunday... We are moving to sitka. We have a ferry ticket for the 21st, should be back in town for a few days. We have a grill and know how to use it!
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:29   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
How long will you be there? We pulled in last Sunday... We are moving to sitka. We have a ferry ticket for the 21st, should be back in town for a few days. We have a grill and know how to use it!
I'll be in Sitka untill the engine starts nicely again. It'll be a few days I'm sure. If you're in town i'd be very happy to help you use that grill.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:15   #42

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Bye bye, that Alaskan sky
Drove my boat to the anchor but the water was high
The starter was gone, I'm sure it did fry
This'll be the day the diesel dies, oh this i'll be the day the diesel dies....
Excellent! I had this tune in my head the whole time I was reading this excellent Yarn!

NOW! how do I get it out of my head?
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 13:17   #43

Boat: Newport 27-S MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Hi, We had a similar failure and had to replace the starter while dragging anchor toward a reef, not so much fun. After having this experience, caused in my case by by the keyswitch internals failing (the actual key was in the correct position, but the starter was still engaged) We have an SOP of turning the key to the off position after we start the engine, and then back to the run position. Being a diesel, the engine doesn't stop, we do it when the engine is idling so there is no alternator current and it mitigates one failure mode. I've talked to too many other boats with similar stories to trust these switches in this environment.

Cheers, Eric
Currently Navadra Is., Fiji
Great tip Eric, thanks, now my SOP !
Stenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 12:44   #44

Boat: Najad 373

Fantastic writing, precise and colourful, Thanks much and well done on your longest sail!

When I'm on a broad reach for a couple of miles, I put on a preventer (end of boom to bow and back to cockpit on a clutch) it removes so much of the anxiety of jibing the boom. When DDW I take the main down and keep #1 genoa, sometimes poled depending on wind and waves conditions.
In both cases a much relaxing ride, allowing to focus on the course and the waves.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 16:37   #45

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Simple to do. One wire to ground, the other to the big wire going into the starter motor itself. That's the one exiting from the solenoid to the motor.
I would suggest a blinking LED with a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in series.
Polarity matters with LED's so if it doesn't light, reverse the connections.
Blinking will definitely get your attention !
I put one on my inverter panel.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel