Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 12:20   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Not all boat parts are expensive

Some years ago my tach stopped working. Following that, I held an annual vigil. I'd get out the wiring diagram and the multi-meter and look up tricks on the internet, and I'd try to trace the problem. I'd check connections, and levels, and inspect everything. Nothing ever worked. Then two years ago I found that a replacement tach was $60. No way it was the tach, right? But for $60 it was worth the risk. Bingo. Problem solved.

The AC side of the water heater didn't work for several years. The heater is a real bear to get to, and they are expensive, so I lived without. Then one day I decided to get to it, and started removing the water heater. On a whim I ran up to the store and bought an element. $20. Fixed.

For a decade I've fought with a front hatch dog which leaked a bit. I'd grease it, I'd tighten it, I'd disassemble it, and it would be good for a year. I pulled it apart again on Saturday because suddenly it was loose and wouldn't tighten. There, fixed. That is, until the big squall hit at 1am and when I closed the hatch the handle wiggled like never before. Needless to say, I moved to the other side of the berth and slept next to a pan. Today I broke down and checked the price for a replacement assembly. $43 shipped.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 13:30   #2

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Not all boat parts are expensive

Goes to show ya, ya gotta shop around. Good on ya!!
Old 09-10-2017, 13:39   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Favorite low-cost upgrade: $12 for a remote control unit for an ATV winch, with two remotes. Wired into my windlass relay, I now have two wireless remotes for one-tenth the price of a single "marine" remote from a windlass manufacturer.

Favorite lower-cost fix: a March air conditioner pump to replace the belt-driven raw water pump on my genset. Before this, there was a string of failures which left me always worrying if it would pump when I started the genset, and continually checking to see if the the flow was adequate while running. Some days now I just stand at the stern watching the strong, reliable "whoosh" of water from the exhaust, and smiling.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:19   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Favorite low-cost upgrade: $12 for a remote control unit for an ATV winch, with two remotes. Wired into my windlass relay, I now have two wireless remotes for one-tenth the price of a single "marine" remote from a windlass manufacturer.

Favorite lower-cost fix: a March air conditioner pump to replace the belt-driven raw water pump on my genset. Before this, there was a string of failures which left me always worrying if it would pump when I started the genset, and continually checking to see if the the flow was adequate while running. Some days now I just stand at the stern watching the strong, reliable "whoosh" of water from the exhaust, and smiling.
Good to know. Thanks! And yeah "marine" equipment is overpriced. If you ever need any machining or custom work done, first drive 10 miles inland, & then look for guys to fix your gear. All while never using any language that's remotely nautical or marine related.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:43   #5

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Favorite low cost fix: Tiller Pilot would randomly switch to standby. Turns out the cable from the battery to the outlet was made of five or so single pieces badly crimped together. Voltage drop under load rebooted the thing.

Favorite low cost part: Starter Motor died, german nanni dealer didn't even get back to me with a quote, estimates somewhere between 400-800€. Turns out the same starter is used in the Suzuki LJ 80, Toyota Corolla '79, Cup Cadet Lawnmover, ... Local automotive store had it there next day, 120€. Interwebs quoted 80€ for the part. Also anything you can get at an automotive store like filters, belts, alternator, ...
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:18   #6

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I gotta put one in for a roll of nice duct tape. Problem solved..
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:25   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Can I go again?

Favorite repair of a Stupid Prior Owner Mod:

Before:

After:

How this ties in to this thread: That square section of countertop on the left that looks like it belongs there, suitable for putting hot pots and pans, toasters and coffeemakers on, is a piece of floor tile from a big-box home supply store. Cost about $2.

[Yes, you saw it right; some brilliant PO decided to cut a hole in the cabinet, the fiddle rail AND the countertop to install a TV/VHS tape player combo.]
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:32   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Marine stainless welding to reconfigure stern arch integrating into existing stern railing?
Not $1,500-2,000.

Neighbor who does stuff like that for a hobby, $300.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 13:25   #9

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
[Yes, you saw it right; some brilliant PO decided to cut a hole in the cabinet, the fiddle rail AND the countertop to install a TV/VHS tape player combo.]
WOW, I don't guess the PO sailed much, vessel have been a dock queen where he sat and watched football all day!
Old 10-10-2017, 21:35   #10

We should do a thread on dumb PO mods and inprovements. I have a bunch i can contribute starting with a cockpit light that only worked when the sun was shining. Hooked up to the solar panel wiring!
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 13:26   #11

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Cheap upgrades:
a kit of shrink connectors, labels, and a bunch of time fishing/rerunning/inspecting/usually shortening new but shittily installed wiring and reworking service panel. Total cost of materials less than $50.

Safe, sturdy, organized electrical? My goodness!

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, parts