Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 09:05   #16

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Site gone nuts

I keep getting locked out and confronted with an interstitial page from "Cloud flare" which features a "captcha" photo I have to parrot in order to prove I am human. No matter how many times I do put in the correct numerals or whatever, it just redirects me back to another captcha… only in the last 24 hours. I have to trick it out by opening another page using the history list to get it. Is making me wonder if I am indeed human… (No, I haven't taken the Voight Kampff test, Rachael, but if this keeps happening I'll have to tell the admins about my mother…)
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 10:51   #17

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
I found that if I check "remember me" when I log in, I stay logged in. If not, not. Wierd.
Maybe this could be made a "sticky"...

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 11:42   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I keep getting locked out and confronted with an interstitial page from "Cloud flare" which features a "captcha" photo I have to parrot in order to prove I am human. No matter how many times I do put in the correct numerals or whatever, it just redirects me back to another captcha… only in the last 24 hours. I have to trick it out by opening another page using the history list to get it. Is making me wonder if I am indeed human… (No, I haven't taken the Voight Kampff test, Rachael, but if this keeps happening I'll have to tell the admins about my mother…)
Hands down.....this is the weirdest! Its painful just to read about it!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 04:39   #19

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
I am in a little bit better situation, sinse it accepts my answer right the first time, but still... Sinse a couple days, every time I visit a forum, I am presented with this security form from this cluud or whatever, where I need to enter a captcha. I have the same IP address every time, I am logged into the system, yet EVERY time I have to enter this thing! This is extremely annoying, and discourages from using the forum.

I understand forum owners may have some ideas about "making a forum more secure" or whatever, that led to intrroduction of this new captcha mechanism that probably has to take off the bots based on GeoIP or whatever, and it is perfectly fine with me, but for Christ's sake!!! NOT EVERY TIME!!! Can't they just set a cookie to those who successfully pass the test? This stupid thing is showing so many times per day that this is really getting rediculous!
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 07:34   #20

Are we still undergoing the upgrade?

Because if not, I'm still having log in problems.

It seems that I can log in with the little log in section below the header section, but if I try to log in during responding to a post, it keep me in a loop.

Yes cache is clear and no cookies.
Using Firefox on win7.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 08:35   #21

Boat: 55' sloop.

Well it is certainly continuing for me and it is very annoying indeed.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 08:47   #22

I've had a terrible time on this site for a couple years now. Often I will have to type a post in Word off site and cut/paste it in here as otherwise only every 3rd letter or so actually types into the window. This is the only site on the internet that does that. I have no idea why. This is why you may see my posts in different font at times. For short post I may gut it out typing over and over again.

There’s something going on in the background on this site. I can tell when I’m about to crash (right now!) as the fan on my computer is running full time/full bore, like it’s processing a massive link. Within a minute my computer will lock up until I close this link.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 09:31   #23

Quote:
I've had the EXACT same issues. I thought it might have been because I was in Beijing.

I haven't had the captcha thing happen since I've arrived home. I still have a log in problem if I don't check the remember me box.

Doing what Sailor Chic advised hasn't helped either....

MacBook Air.....Safari and Firefox
Old 24-01-2016, 10:45   #24

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Really sorry to hear all of this. I am blissfully unaffected. I use a Macbook Pro with Safari and I don't have any of the issues mentioned here. I guess I'm just lucky.

I really get a lot of good information on this site and I hope the problems are resolved soon.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 10:53   #25

Unless this has been happening to you for a long time on this site, what's so hard about having a little blinkin' patience?

Not everything is at the CF end of things.

If you've never heard of it, do some Google research on svchost.exe on Windows machines. It eats lots of memory and can be adjusted if you learn how to do it.

And they did warn us it was happening.

AdBlocker is also helpful, mentioned hundreds of times to and for folks who say the site is slow.

Drats, we're sailors, chill out, heave to for a day and see what comes next.

Good luck.

disclaimer: I'm just a user here.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 10:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There’s something going on in the background on this site. I can tell when I’m about to crash (right now!) as the fan on my computer is running full time/full bore, like it’s processing a massive link. Within a minute my computer will lock up until I close this link.

svchost issues no doubt
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 08:25   #27

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I had the "going back to login" problem so bad I couldn't log in. So I got a mod email address from one of their blogs and sent an email since I couldn't get on to CF, at all. He said problems had been reported by others.

He said to try clicking on the "Remeber Me" box as noted by others above. I haven't had the problem since then.

I have noted other problems, some like others above, and it is frustrating, but not to the point of bailing on the forum. That would be like cutting my nose off to spite my face. I don't expect tech to work 100% - never have.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 08:57   #28

Boat: 41' yawl

Honestly I don't know why we all use this forum.

I'm here because of all the people that are here, and it has nothing to do with the terrible, clunky, geocities-era user experience offered by this site.

Whoever owns the forum is just trying monetize something that doesn't really have any value beyond what _we_ put into it, aside from some bandwidth and computing power that could be provided by an Amazon cloud service for likely a few bucks a month. A couple small, unobtrusive ads could more than cover it.

Instead we have this ridiculous thing.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 09:05   #29

Boat: Ohlson 29

This related topic (posted in "General Sailing") should probably be merged with this topic:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ne-160004.html

Cloudflare doesn't ruin websites -- Cloudflare setting, however, can in some cases
In this case, it looks like the CF owners/admins have chosen to activate some security rules that don't necessarily play nice with an international (wifi-sharing etc.) audience like world cruisers.

However, these rules do protect the site from all sorts of unwanted attention, so it's not always easy to find the right balance between enough and the right kind of security and being completely user-friendly.

If the choice is between having to check "remember me" or have CF use less strict security, I'll check that box (that solves my problems at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
svchost issues no doubt
I'm pretty sure that my still having issues with CF (and only CF) has nothing to do with svchost.exe.
I'm on Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Instead we have this ridiculous thing.
Cloudflare has NOTHING at all to do with monetizing. It actually costs money, and what is does is provide a much faster and way more secure website.

Again, finding the right balance between being user friendly and offering said users a secure website can be quite a challenge, so let us all be a little patient and give the admins some time to sort everything out and find the right balance for this site and her many, many users.

And be grateful this website is secure, even if it can be a pain in the lower back sometimes
Old 25-01-2016, 09:40   #30

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

How the heck does someone who has a boat get off expecting perfection from such a useful forum as this? If your standards are so high you will never find a boat to match them in any form or fashion, never will.

It seems to me the whining has to do with other things than just the way the forum site is architected and performs. It certainly isn't perfect. So go find that perfect site and get the perfect opinions you'll get there. And BTW - go get the perfect sail or power boat I am sure exists, in the cloud somewhere for sure.

And if you think you can do better, go start one and run it. The guys doing this certainly aren't getting rich. BTW - I have no connection to the site other than as a user.

Sorry for the rant. You guys fry my gizzard. I'd put an emoticon here but can't find one that matches what I am thinking right at the moment.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote