Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2022, 14:58   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Jammer buys a Tartan

I joined CF in 2010. I bought my first sailboat (a 1975 Morgan 25) in 2018. I sold it and bought a Hunter 26 two years later, taking these boats on daysails and weeklong cruises on Lake Pepin and the Mississippi River system in the Minneapolis area, and in Lake Vermilion (in northern Minnesota) and Lake Superior (the one that needs no introduction). I sold the Hunter last spring having concluded that it is too large to be trailerable and too small to be truly suitable for overnights.

After a search lasting all summer, my wife and I decided to purchase a Tartan 3800 that was for sale in Chicago. We will use Duluth as our home port. The purchase closed a few weeks ago and we sailed (well, motored mostly, but there was some sailing) to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, about halfway up the shore of Lake Michigan, where due to the lateness of the season we are having the boat hauled for the winter.

Aside from some plumbing problems that I am working through, the boat is well found. We will be adding some form of cabin heat and updating the ground tackle.

This Tartan was built in 1999 and was among the last of the 3800s to be completed. Among the many things I like about this vessel are the 5'4" fixed keel and the conservative, long-life, low-maintenance choices throughout -- no saildrive, no carbon fiber mast, no rod rigging, no teak decking, metal rather than plastic portlights. She is straightforward to sail with no running backstays or hydraulic backstay adjusters or other gratuitous go-fasters. There is an in-boom mainsail furler, and I have not yet decided whether I like it. Halyard and primary winches are electric and I expect I will rapidly become weak and soft with such luxury unless I disconnect them.

We are looking forward to the delivery from Manitowoc to Duluth next spring, and plan to remain in the Great Lakes for the next several years. We still have land-based connections that will limit our time aboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221001_111237640.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	265594   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220930_000139489.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	265595  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221001_012032504.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	265596   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220922_155003923(1).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	265597  

Old 10-10-2022, 15:06   #2

Re: Jammer buys a Tartan

Congratulations on your new boat, all the best.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 15:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

She looks perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
the conservative, long-life, low-maintenance choices throughout -- no saildrive, no carbon fiber mast, no rod rigging, no teak decking, metal rather than plastic portlights.
KISS is generally the best policy for an offshore yacht .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 15:31   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Congrats
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 15:34   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

That's a beautiful boat and a nice upgrade! I don't think I've ever met an unhappy Tartan owner, so it should serve you well.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 15:44   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Holy #### you didn’t screw around. That’s a spectacular boat!
Old 10-10-2022, 15:45   #7

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Will keep an eye out for you!!
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 15:57   #8

Quote:
I joined CF in 2010. I bought my first sailboat (a 1975 Morgan 25) in 2018. I sold it and bought a Hunter 26 two years later, taking these boats on daysails and weeklong cruises on Lake Pepin and the Mississippi River system in the Minneapolis area, and in Lake Vermilion (in northern Minnesota) and Lake Superior (the one that needs no introduction). I sold the Hunter last spring having concluded that it is too large to be trailerable and too small to be truly suitable for overnights.

After a search lasting all summer, my wife and I decided to purchase a Tartan 3800 that was for sale in Chicago. We will use Duluth as our home port. The purchase closed a few weeks ago and we sailed (well, motored mostly, but there was some sailing) to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, about halfway up the shore of Lake Michigan, where due to the lateness of the season we are having the boat hauled for the winter.

Aside from some plumbing problems that I am working through, the boat is well found. We will be adding some form of cabin heat and updating the ground tackle.

This Tartan was built in 1999 and was among the last of the 3800s to be completed. Among the many things I like about this vessel are the 5'4" fixed keel and the conservative, long-life, low-maintenance choices throughout -- no saildrive, no carbon fiber mast, no rod rigging, no teak decking, metal rather than plastic portlights. She is straightforward to sail with no running backstays or hydraulic backstay adjusters or other gratuitous go-fasters. There is an in-boom mainsail furler, and I have not yet decided whether I like it. Halyard and primary winches are electric and I expect I will rapidly become weak and soft with such luxury unless I disconnect them.

We are looking forward to the delivery from Manitowoc to Duluth next spring, and plan to remain in the Great Lakes for the next several years. We still have land-based connections that will limit our time aboard.
Good luck with your new boat.
I have loads of experience with in-boom furlers so here here are a few hints

1. The boom to mast angle is super important. 87 degrees If I remember
correctly.

2. Get a really robust hard vang. Maintains the angle already mentioned
don’t trust a topping lift boom is just too heavy

3. Boom brake and preventers are absolutely essential
The boom is so heavy an accidentally jibe will cause loads of
damage

4. Keep the electric winches, the halyard and furler paths are
convoluted, and loaded with resistance

Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 17:49   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Good luck with your new boat.
I have loads of experience with in-boom furlers so here here are a few hints

1. The boom to mast angle is super important. 87 degrees If I remember
correctly.

2. Get a really robust hard vang. Maintains the angle already mentioned
don’t trust a topping lift boom is just too heavy

3. Boom brake and preventers are absolutely essential
The boom is so heavy an accidentally jibe will cause loads of
damage

4. Keep the electric winches, the halyard and furler paths are
convoluted, and loaded with resistance

Cheers
Neil

You are indeed wise. I will be having a discussion with my rigger about the vang, which is undersized. Right now there isn't a topping lift, either, though I do want to run one. Hadn't thought of a boom brake, taking your advice on that.
Old 20-12-2022, 13:17   #10

Boat: 38' Tartan 3800

Quote:

Jammer,

She is a pretty boat. It was on our list and my wife and I were set to fly in to look at her when we got an accepted offer on hull #37 down in Panama City Florida. Since then, I've tore into just about everthing on this 3800 so if you run into any questions, give me a yell. Enjoy!
randydandy is offline   Reply With Quote