Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 05:51   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Repeated Jabsco Joker Valve Failures

We have a new to us Beneteau with a Jabsco toilet and have been through 3 joker valves in 3 months. They last about 2-3 days without backflowing and then they get worse and worse. Within a week they are allowing then entire contents of outflow hose back into the bowl.

At first I thought it was because the first replacement valve had sat on a store shelf too long. But then I purchased a new one and it too failed.

I am at a loss.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:04   #2

Re: Repeated Jabsco Joker Valve Failures

This summer I got fed up with Jabsco - I have had 3 of them - and got a different brand. A decision I haven't regretted.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:02   #3

Boat: Beneteau 331

I am planning on replacing with a Raritan, however I haven't solved the problem of the discharge fittings: they only offer straight or 90 degree. Mine uses a 45 degree....of course.

In any event, I need to resolve the problem of the toilet until next year.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:06   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Check your vent. If it’s clogged then you’re pressurizing the tank, which will cause backflow.

And yes, the new Jabsco joker valves, like the whole toilet, are junk and not of the quality they used to be.

And yes when I’m fed up with ours it will be replaced by Raritan.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
If you find a fix, please post it here, I don't think you are alone with your problem

I never managed to find a solution. After 1-2 months the replaced valve started leaking.
I bought a Sanimar and if I remember correctly you could adjust the discharge any way you wanted.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:06   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
I am planning on replacing with a Raritan, however I haven't solved the problem of the discharge fittings: they only offer straight or 90 degree. Mine uses a 45 degree....of course.

If your joker valve was defective from new I'd expect it to leak from day one. If it works for some time before starting to leak, it's probably getting held open by something. Are you flushing with fresh water or seawater? When you pull the joker out is it obviously clogged with salts or other material? Maybe change brands of TP? Check your vent line too, pressure in the holding tank will make the joker leak.

I have two heads on my boat, one flushes with fresh, the other seawater. The joker in the seawater head needs cleaning/changing much more frequently than the other. Maybe one-two months for seawater vs. six months or more for fresh. Actually, this high frequency maintenance recently convinced me to change the seawater head to fresh.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:35   #7

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Mine has worked flawlessly for 4 years.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
That is nice!
Old 03-10-2022, 13:23   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I have to replace my jabsco joker valve every 1-2 years. A simple to do, cheap replacement. Rest of Jabsco toilet has been great.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:03   #10

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Is your discharge hose clogged, scaled up or as others have said the vent is blocked?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:10   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Just use the Raritan joker valve. It is interchangable (I've used them in Jabsco's for years).

But if they are failing that fast, there is another problem, and unless you solve that, ANY head will backflow.
Old 03-10-2022, 15:27   #12

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Sounds like back pressure in the system which could be from clogged vent, clogged or restricted pipe from head to holding tank or from holding tank to outlet. If the holding tank is higher than the head then you may need to insert an in-line check valve in the head discharge pipe that will take the pressure off the joker valve.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 15:54   #13

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Is your discharge hose clogged...?
That's what it was for us.

A previous owner had used the outlet hose as a rear support for the toilet platform, so years after doing that installation time saving trick, the hose became pinched to a point where poopy goop got recycled back into the toilet.

Took some head scratching (with a clean hand) before I figured that one out, and a wee bit of pressure was on with my wife, our daughter, and one of her friends aboard on a long weekend holiday.

Now have a desiccating toilet
N Coast Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:42   #14

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I do not think the joker valve is the problem. It is designed as a one way valve to prevent sucking the contents that have passed the joker valve back on the piston up stroke, not to be a perfect shut off valve. My guess is that the flap valve at the base of the piston is the culprit. When you use the twist lock on the piston handle, that should make the rubber cone on the end of the piston hold down the flap valve and prevent backflow. The tolerances are tight so if the piston assembly is not seated on the base moulding perfectly or if the twist lock which forces the piston down is worn, then leakage occurs.

One issue I have found is that the self tapping screws that hold the piston assembly down can raise burrs that prevent proper seating of the valve. They need to be cut off.

We have had similar issues on both our manual Jabscos and a new pump assemblies for about twice the cost of a service kit solved it. They do wear, after you fit a new pump assembly, there is a distinct force required to close the twist lock. In time that force decreases due to wear.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:26   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Repeated Jabsco Joker Valve Failures

Quote:
We have a new to us Beneteau with a Jabsco toilet and have been through 3 joker valves in 3 months. They last about 2-3 days without backflowing and then they get worse and worse. Within a week they are allowing then entire contents of outflow hose back into the bowl.

At first I thought it was because the first replacement valve had sat on a store shelf too long. But then I purchased a new one and it too failed.

I am at a loss.

Yep standard jabsco joker valves. Aptly named. If you have a rising sewer after your manual pump it will backflow sooner or later. The non return is useless.

You need to clear the rising pipe by 15-20 strokes in pump out only.

I recently binned the whole thing and fitted an is Osculati electric quiet flush , seperate feed in pump and outlet pump. Brilliant.

( every jabsco manual has met the same fate )

Tags
jabsco