Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2022, 06:16   #31

Re: Repeated Jabsco Joker Valve Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
With or without olive oil thd joker valve always build ups some crud and the effluent leaks back. The non return in the base ( base valve gasket ) equally get a bit of crud and weeps
If you are flushing olive oil THATíS your problem. There are proper ways to lubricate a head, vegetable oil is NOT it. These things work when managed properly. You are doing something wrong.

Several people have posted here saying they have no problem with their valves. You (and others) do have problems. Something is different about what you are doing. You would be better served trying to understand what that might be.

I promise you, what ever brand of toilet and joker valve you use will have exactly the same problem if you treat it the same way.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:28   #32

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
If you are flushing olive oil THATíS your problem. There are proper ways to lubricate a head, vegetable oil is NOT it. These things work when managed properly. You are doing something wrong.

Several people have posted here saying they have no problem with their valves. You (and others) do have problems. Something is different about what you are doing. You would be better served trying to understand what that might be.

I promise you, what ever brand of toilet and joker valve you use will have exactly the same problem if you treat it the same way.
Yes, exactly.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:31   #33

Yes need to flush adequately to push all the **** past the joker valve or the valve will be held open by the ****.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:38   #34

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I have new jabsco joker valve in hand now. No gaps in flaps. You have to be very careful how you store them. Nothing on top of them to bend the flap. It's critical.
Wonderful. Mine I got from the marina, in factory packaging, hanging on hook. Nothing crushing it, etc. Yet still there were gaps. It's not a problem for the next seven months, so I'll forget it for now and move on to the next repair.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Wonderful. Mine I got from the marina, in factory packaging, hanging on hook. Nothing crushing it, etc. Yet still there were gaps. It's not a problem for the next seven months, so I'll forget it for now and move on to the next repair.
Great. Should last a few months.
Old 05-10-2022, 19:26   #36

Boat: Privilege 435

We had 3 jabso manual toilets. I felt like I was fixing one of the 3 every month.

Now we have 0, and it's probably the best thing we ever did on the boat. I'm not sure how much not emptying poo water over your hands and into the boat once a month is worth, but at least what I paid to replace them.

I'm sure with some setups they work fine. Not for us.
Old 06-10-2022, 00:19   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Repeated Jabsco Joker Valve Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post

The issue isnít olive oil. Wd had the problem long before olive oil. In fact recently before I removed the unit we used a brand new fittings new valves and used silicon grease only on the plunger. The effluent seeped back in one to two hours, urine only of course.

The osculati power toilet uses a much better joker valve but I redesigned the control system to dry flush for 5 seconds after empty , this tends to clear the rising pipe.

As I said itís not olive oil , I replaced both the joker and base valve with brand new bought from the chandlery units and the effluent returned in two hours. No oil Involve.

My view is the jabsco valves are just not water tight.

I have a meeting with them at METS in Nov. This question is first on the list.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:55   #38

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I have two jabsco electric quiet flush. 5 years ago I changed both joker valves because had slight backflow. One of them I over tighten and caused it to leak back as it distorts the valve. Backed off a bit and just snugged the screws in and all has been flawless ever since. Back pressure as was also said could be an issue.
Good luck
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:33   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Check your vent. If it’s clogged then you’re pressurizing the tank, which will cause backflow.

And yes, the new Jabsco joker valves, like the whole toilet, are junk and not of the quality they used to be.

And yes when I’m fed up with ours it will be replaced by Raritan.
Do you mean a vent on the holding tank? What does that look like?
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:43   #40

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
Do you mean a vent on the holding tank? What does that look like?
Itís on the side of the hull near the holding tankÖÖÖ usually a clam shell type cover.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:55   #41

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

We have a manual Lavac
Needs stripping down and acid cleaning after about 24 months live aboard.
We like the simplicity and its resistance to clogging
The smallest passage through it is larger than the other marine heads we have seen.
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:05   #42

Boat: Pearson 386

Do not waste your money. You are probably using harsh chemicals which are attacking the rubber. Add 4-6 oz of 3% hydrogen peroxide tthe bowla couple times a month to kill the bacteria, and rinse frequently with fresh water. They should years not months.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:23   #43

Boat: Najad 34

If where talking about this...

The "new" three angled check valve I've never got to keep tight. There will always be a small opening in the middle meeting point.
The "old/ancient?" is always good. May be hard to find?
See picture. Old tight one to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check_valve.png
Views:	49
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	265423  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:18   #44

Boat: Sun Odyssey 36i

I went through 3 joker valves last spring at the Admiral's behest. For one thing, I winterize with propylene glycol which is tough on the neoprene; I accept that. For another, each of the prior replacements was at 3-year intervals. All Jabsco. The first one I put in last summer began to leak within a day. The Admiral was not pleased. I tried a Raritan joker, supposedly fits but would not properly seat, and leaked at the seat. I tried another Jabsco valve, which lasted almost a month. In July, I installed a Jabsco joker which began to leak occasionally in September.

My conclusion is that Jabsco, too, has succumbed to the cheap-crap-made-in-China syndrome. I'd like to be confident that another manufacturer hasn't gone that route, and would switch. My house bank is already taxed, so electric flush is not viable.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:18   #45

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Is your discharge hose clogged, scaled up or as others have said the vent is blocked?
I am pretty sure that is the problem. Take a flat bladed screwdriver and remove the thick scale from the discharge pipe so the new valve has room to function. BTDT.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco