Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 14:13   #1

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m
seized ball valve, leaking joker valve on toilet (jabsco) outlet

on My S/Y I have a large 2- 2 1/2" ball valve which I can hardly open and close.
I have lenghened the handle, but I fear i will break something by rotating the handle.
Somebody has an idea how to get the ball valve moving? Now the yacht is on the hard. Spray from the ships bottom, or grease the ball , or some other water resistant grease? and try to get it moving? Since the yacht is new I only moved it 8 times ( in 4 years).

Another smelly problem is the Jabsco toilet. The toilet is mounted about 10" below the water line. The outlet line runs into a holding tank, which is vented. But with the flush control valve shut and with empty bowl the water does not stop and fills slowly the bowl, and most of the time with the gray water from the holding tank probably from the line (which runs to the top inlet) to the holding tank. I replaced already 2 times the joker valve but the problem remains. I also tried to flush with olive oil, without positive result. Any idea?
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 14:53   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: seized ball valve, leaking joker valve on toilet (jabsco) outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Angel1 View Post
on My S/Y I have a large 2- 2 1/2" ball valve which I can hardly open and close.
I have lenghened the handle, but I fear i will break something by rotating the handle.
Somebody has an idea how to get the ball valve moving? Now the yacht is on the hard. Spray from the ships bottom, or grease the ball , or some other water resistant grease? and try to get it moving? Since the yacht is new I only moved it 8 times ( in 4 years).

Replace ball valve. Ensure it is made from same material as the thu hull it is connected (presumably bronze but might be SS or possibly synthetic) to (and never use brass).

Check the thru hull, it may need replacing also, if so use bronze with a bronze ball valve.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 15:22   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sea Angel, you will do yourself a real favor by following Wotname's advice, above. I would like to add that all your ball valves should be opened and closed at least once a month. They do tend to seize up when they are not used.

Sorry, but I don't know what to do about your toilet. CF member Peg Hall may have some input. She's really the toilet and holding tank guru here. You might send her a PM requesting assistance.

Good luck with finding solutions to the problems.

Ann
Old 21-10-2017, 07:20   #4

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

Helo Ann, Thank you for your advise.
Where can I get in contact with Peg Hall, I donot find here contact.

Theo
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:06   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

First buy Peggie's book: https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...ds=peggie+hall

I expect Peggie will see this thread and respond to it.

You will continue to need to replace the joker valve on your toilet frequently until you get the toilet higher than your holding tank. Ideally the hose should run down hill all the way from toilet to tank.

You can reduce the back flow problem by pumping clean water through the toilet until all of the black water has gone into the tank.
Old 22-10-2017, 08:26   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

SeaAngel,
Is the ball valve located in the y-valve for directing the flow of waste overboard or to your holding tank? If so, they can be serviced by taking off the front cover, cleaning with vinegar and before re-assembly spraying with silicone spray on the valve and the mating surfaces. These valves need to be operated regularly otherwise they will no longer open.
In regards to your Jabsco, go online and get an exploded diagram of your head. Remove the pump assembly from the bowl and disassemble. Check that all your internal parts are not compromised and are functional. If there is a problem, you can get a rebuild kit or buy individual parts from their website. They are very simply assembled. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! When you reassemble your pump, spray all the moving parts with silicone spray and treat the gaskets with a very light film of marine grease. In thirty years of boating on two different boats, I have only replaced one pump assembly housing(cracked) and have repaired my current head (Raritan) several times in the last 17 years. If you ever intend to cruise full-time, you need to know how to do this easy maintenance. If you have any problems, take some pics and I'll be happy to walk you through any problems. You don't need to buy a book to fix your head. The diagrams and technical support offered by Raritan and Jabasco are excellent. Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
jabsco, oil