Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2022, 11:52   #16

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Repeated Jabsco Joker Valve Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
I do not think the joker valve is the problem. It is designed as a one way valve to prevent sucking the contents that have passed the joker valve back on the piston up stroke, not to be a perfect shut off valve. My guess is that the flap valve at the base of the piston is the culprit.
I agree the problem is probably not the valve itself. Even if it's an inferior product, something else is wrong if you are replacing 3 in 3 months. I have a Jabsco and replaced mine with their recommended joker valve and I have had no problems. I even tested it by purposely letting my holding tank get totally full, then going out sailing on a rough day. It was fine.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 13:11   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Repeated Jabsco Joker Valve Failures

Every jabsco manual pump Iíve had that had any rising sewer outlet had problems. The only ones that didnít had either holding tanks lower then the pump or pumped directly to sea.

I went like you through multiple seals and even I replaced the whole body three times. ( I have a shed of jabsco spares. )

Nothing stops the slow seepage of effluent back into the bowl if there is any appreciable rise and run of outlet piping.
Old 04-10-2022, 16:21   #18

We have two jabsco toilet on our boat, both pumping up to above waterline holding tanks. The boat is a full time live aboard.

Our joker valves last at least a year.

What on earth are you all doing wrong? Are you pumping oil with these things?
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 16:25   #19
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
We have two jabsco toilet on our boat, both pumping up to above waterline holding tanks. The boat is a full time live aboard.

Our joker valves last at least a year.

What on earth are you all doing wrong? Are you pumping oil with these things?

In my case the lift is 1.2 metres from the toilet outlet to the top of the holding tank
Old 04-10-2022, 16:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In my case the lift is 1.2 metres from the toilet outlet to the top of the holding tank
Ours is 1.5m rise and they always work. So thatís not the cause of your problem.

I wonder how many of the people whining about poor performance of the joker valves are following that TERRIBLE advice of pouring vegetable oil in the toilet to ĒlubricateĒ the rubber parts? There are a lot of really good reasons for NOT doing this, but the one apropos to the current thread is that neoprene rubber is not compatible with many vegetable oils. They will irreversibly swell and soften neoprene, rendering it unfit for use pretty quickly.
Old 04-10-2022, 17:01   #21
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Ours is 1.5m rise and they always work. So thatís not the cause of your problem.

I wonder how many of the people whining about poor performance of the joker valves are following that TERRIBLE advice of pouring vegetable oil in the toilet to ĒlubricateĒ the rubber parts? There are a lot of really good reasons for NOT doing this, but the one apropos to the current thread is that neoprene rubber is not compatible with many vegetable oils. They will irreversibly swell and soften neoprene, rendering it unfit for use pretty quickly.

With or without olive oil thd joker valve always build ups some crud and the effluent leaks back. The non return in the base ( base valve gasket ) equally get a bit of crud and weeps
Old 04-10-2022, 17:05   #22

Quote:
Are you sure this is how things work? My car is fine, so all cars are fine?
If you have a given setup - in this case a toilet - that is malfunctioning and you replace a possibly defunctional part and all is well again for a while, it is highly likely that the replaced part was the problem. And if the the system breaks down again in the same manner, and the same remedy is applicable, then it is highly likely that the part in itself is failing.

And also, could you please stop writing complete tosh in general, it is very annoying!
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 23:30   #23

Boat: Bavaria 35E

As mentioned, I tried the Raritan joker valve on our Jabsco. It's worked much better. I was replacing Jabsco ones on average, every 6 months. Very frustrating. So far, so good with the Raritan.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:06   #24
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Are you sure this is how things work? My car is fine, so all cars are fine?

If you have a given setup - in this case a toilet - that is malfunctioning and you replace a possibly defunctional part and all is well again for a while, it is highly likely that the replaced part was the problem. And if the the system breaks down again in the same manner, and the same remedy is applicable, then it is highly likely that the part in itself is failing.

And also, could you please stop writing complete tosh in general, it is very annoying!

How is replacing genuine spares with like for like complete Tosh , my experience mirrors the OP cases exactly.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:35   #25

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Are you guys putting it in backwards or upside down? Mine last 4 years.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:37   #26

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

When I replaced ours last week, the brand new in bag Jabsco joker showed gaps between the (what are they called?) flaps/ flanges. I thought that was odd, as I'd expect them to be pretty closed.

When I pulled out the old one it appeared in good condition, and had the same gaps the new one did.

Perhaps it relies on fluid back pressure to close the gaps. I don't know. But I'm surprised that a brand new joker would have any gaps.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
When I replaced ours last week, the brand new in bag Jabsco joker showed gaps between the (what are they called?) flaps/ flanges. I thought that was odd, as I'd expect them to be pretty closed.

When I pulled out the old one it appeared in good condition, and had the same gaps the new one did.

Perhaps it relies on fluid back pressure to close the gaps. I don't know. But I'm surprised that a brand new joker would have any gaps.
Yes, they rely on fluid back pressure to close.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:02   #28

I have new jabsco joker valve in hand now. No gaps in flaps. You have to be very careful how you store them. Nothing on top of them to bend the flap. It's critical.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:03   #29

Quote:
Yes, they rely on fluid back pressure to close.
No they dont.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:11   #30

The joker valves come packaged in a plastic bag. It would be better if they were packaged in the hard plastic type packaging. They will not work if even slightly deformed.

Tags
jabsco