Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2020, 09:03   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Texas or Florida better living abroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Texas has an open-carry law. Personally, I would never live in or even visit a state that allows high school dropouts to strap AR-15s on their back while shopping or walking down the street. I live in Florida, which unfortunately issues concealed weapons permits, but at least does not allow thugs to intimidate people with unnecessary display of assault weapons. Also, the sailing is better on the west coast of Florida and in the Keys.
How does a live aboard question become a second amendment issue?
Old 27-09-2020, 09:51   #17

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Wow, just wow.........

Don't think I've ever seen a thread devolve so quickly..........

The anti gunners are out in force............ even when it hasn't even been brought up in the thread.

Carrying a gun is like carrying a stapler, it doesn't do anything unless you push it............

Afraid of staplers.......... don't buy one.

My advice for those afraid of such things, should move to Chicago. It's working out so well for them...................

Advice to the OP, don't know anything about the situation in TX, but here in Florida, it is becoming much more difficult to find a place to liveaboard, plan ahead.

I think you miss the point. Aside from some very limited circumstances in hunting season, why would anyone walk around a mall or city street with a semi automatic rifle unless they were proving a point and trying to intimidate others? Even then most hunters would lock their guns in a case in the trunks of their cars. During dove season, most folks don't walk into Walmart with their shotguns to buy ammo! But there is a part of the population that just wants to imply a threat! Maybe they just feel inadequate in some way!
Old 27-09-2020, 09:56   #18

Quote:
How does a live aboard question become a second amendment issue?
Probably the same way a live-abroad question becomes a live-aboard question.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:24   #19

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Ummm...

I think I’ve created confusion. It has to do with the R

I’m asking about living abroad as in overseas.

I think people are reading aboard as on the boat.

My apologies if I confused.

I looking for help living overseas and which state is better to call home while living overseas.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:25   #20

Boat: Spindrift 43

This one turned into a soup sandwich in record time!

The actual question being asked: Which is the better state for the OP to maintain an affiliation with for the few years he plans to live in another country (abroad)?

To the OP, I would base my personal choice on my assessment of Hurricane probabilities since you’d be unable to tend to the boat at the drop of a hat. Typically, I’d have said Texas would have been the safer pick, but lately I’m not sure that’s the case.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:53   #21

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

My biggest concern in being based in either state or any of the states in between would be security in a hurricane. How can I protect my boat from the winds and tidal surges. I would look into what people living in a given area do in this case and pick a relatively safe location.
Old 27-09-2020, 11:05   #22

Boat: Contessa 32

I’m so confused!
One of the OP statements was about home-schools differences between Florida and Texas which led me to believe he/she intended to live in one of the two states and was using that in the decision making process.

I’m in the Clear Lake area near Kemah and our weekly hurricane watch/warnings are bothersome but there are some very well protected marinas that are capable of protecting you in 10’ + storm surges but you must be careful about your choice. There are a number of upgraded slips that are available for short term transient protection for a week and then move back to your cheaper location.

I guess this isn’t a great option if you are living outside the USA. BTW, I’ve lived in Texas for the past 35 years and don’t recall seeing more than 1 or 2 people open carry and they may have been security people.
Old 27-09-2020, 11:50   #23

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Water in Corpus is a lot clearer than Galveston. Not even close. But liveaboard in Kemah marinas is pretty central to marine businesses, stores, medical facilities, etc. The City marina in Port Aransas is fairly full, allows liveaboards, but they limit number. I think the City marina in Corpus Christi is similar, but is less occupied, much larger and therefore probably has liveaboard openings.

Oh, and only idiots carry open. They will be the first ones shot in any gun battle. That said, 57 years living in various cities in Texas, and I have seen less than a dozen open carries. I have friends that conceal carry in Florida as well.
Old 27-09-2020, 12:11   #24

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

South Padre Island is a nice area. I would think you would need to fly out of Brownsville.
Old 27-09-2020, 12:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Texas has an open-carry law. Personally, I would never live in or even visit a state that allows high school dropouts to strap AR-15s on their back while shopping or walking down the street. I live in Florida, which unfortunately issues concealed weapons permits, but at least does not allow thugs to intimidate people with unnecessary display of assault weapons. Also, the sailing is better on the west coast of Florida and in the Keys.
What education level does someone need to purchase for them to be “allowed” to have their rights?

This sounds like some of the same thinking that was used to try to keep guns out of the hands of freed black slaves, because only the bourgeois should be allowed to defend themselves

If you’re smart enough for homeschooling to be a good idea, you shouldn’t have a hard time making it work in any state, between TX and FL, pretty close, if it were me I would go for FL, especially northern FL, SOME areas in Miami, or the keys.
Old 27-09-2020, 12:41   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My wife and I have lived aboard in South Florida, but many more years in North Florida. I would suggest that the differences between North Florida and Texas are far less than the differences between North and South Florida.

Regarding hurricanes, if you can clear 55' fixed bridges with your boat; then, you'll find more options for tropical storm protection.

I favor access to an excellent inlet for ocean cruising, but also a fairly large close by area for a spontaneous day sailing without the need to break the inlet. This caused us to favor the Jacksonville/Orange Park area on the St. Johns River as a home port before we retired.

With a draft less than 5.5' the west coast of Florida has some more excellent options.
Old 27-09-2020, 13:21   #27

I would be taking the boat with me to the Philippines. So hurricanes not a worry while gone.

Home school laws are very important and might be key to which state I call my home state.

In Florida they say they can call you in for audit at any time "Make the portfolio available for inspection by the superintendent upon 15-day written notice ". Requirements

Texas is much easier and no audits: https://hslda.org/post/how-to-comply...homeschool-law

I have a degree in Education so I can teach my children through high school in either state no problem. But the difference in laws almost makes me want to default to TX. However I've lived in Florida, love it, I know it and it feels like home. TX is an almost complete unknown.

Flying back to the USA to have an audit (within 15 days no less), however, would be a major pain. That is why I am asking for those who've lived in other countries which state is better.

I'm sure there are plenty of other factors I'm not aware of that's why I'm asking advice.
Old 27-09-2020, 13:24   #28

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
Maybe they just feel inadequate in some way!
Sounds like you are the one that feels inadequate...........

If you are that afraid, please stay in your basement.
Old 27-09-2020, 13:28   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
I would be taking the boat with me to the Philippines. So hurricanes not a worry while gone.

Home school laws are very important and might be key to which state I call my home state.

In Florida they say they can call you in for audit at any time "Make the portfolio available for inspection by the superintendent upon 15-day written notice ". Requirements

Texas is much easier and no audits: https://hslda.org/post/how-to-comply...homeschool-law

I have a degree in Education so I can teach my children through high school in either state no problem. But the difference in laws almost makes me want to default to TX. However I've lived in Florida, love it, I know it and it feels like home. TX is an almost complete unknown.

Flying back to the USA to have an audit (within 15 days no less), however, would be a major pain. That is why I am asking for those who've lived in other countries which state is better.

I'm sure there are plenty of other factors I'm not aware of that's why I'm asking advice.
So enroll in some online school with the Texas box checked and find a non gov address that forwards, and live wherever you want.
Old 27-09-2020, 13:54   #30

I'm already homeschooling with Abeka.

It's a great system. All the books. Legal in all the states, and made in Florida.

Online school will not work well when we don't have internet while sailing

It's a bit more complicated enrolling though. You have to have a state ID and address and send a letter to the local superintendent of schools in most places.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, texas