Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 09:04   #1

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Best place to buy solar panels

I just came across this in my morning financial news:

The U.S. solar industry has lost 62K new jobs and $19B in investments because of the Trump administration's tariffs on imported panels imposed nearly two years ago, according to a new report from the U.S. Solar Industries Association. Despite the tariffs, global panel prices have continued to fall due to an oversupply in top producer China, while U.S. prices are among the highest in the world for solar. A meeting today at the International Trade Commission could decide whether President Trump makes changes to, or even cancels, the four-year tariff that was imposed in early 2018.

I don't expect Trump to cancel any tariffs until right before the next election, so should I run up to Canada to buy panels?? Last time I looked they were cheaper in Australia, but that's a long way to sail.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:38   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Best place to buy solar panels

OH...so the 2 major US solar companies that petitioned the Trump administration to put in place tariffs are now out of business because as the price of cells and panels were dropping around the world...the US companies had to maintain/increase their prices. Why am I not surprised by this? (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_p...dRa2VuQ2s/view)

You can find cheaper panels, but I think there are some hitches if you want to apply for the federal tax refund on solar panel purchases.
Old 04-12-2019, 21:32   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Sure from a macro POV, a real shame our workers will be missing out on the biggest tech trend of coming decades. But mountain out of a molehill at the micro level.

Just buy local, shipping / travel costs are a far greater factor than any taxes.

Even at triple their lowest price in the past, still a tenth of what they cost not so long ago.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 00:21   #4

Boat: Westerly 43

I'm beginning to see why Greta doesn't like him.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 00:50   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

That is not Trumps fault, US is able to produce the cells and the panels themselves, they developed the technology in the first place. The process can be automated and there are no tarifs on local products anyway, cheap labor is also widely available there. We should not rely on China alone to safe the world from global warming, climate crisis and whatever with solar and lithium batteries. China has no climate crisis btw, they take care of activists.

All Greta fans should start thinking before bashing the wrong people.

For the record: Germany had a Solar industry as the green wave transformation to renewables started, all companies producing solar panels are now out of business with massive lay offs because of cheap imports from China and NO TARIFS.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:15   #6

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
That is not Trumps fault, US is able to produce the cells and the panels themselves, they developed the technology in the first place. The process can be automated and there are no tarifs on local products anyway, cheap labor is also widely available there. We should not rely on China alone to safe the world from global warming, climate crisis and whatever with solar and lithium batteries. China has no climate crisis btw, they take care of activists.

For the record: Germany had a Solar industry as the green wave transformation to renewables started, all companies producing solar panels are now out of business with massive lay offs because of cheap imports from China and NO TARIFS.
That's not true. Many Germany companies are now making the panels in India and other places.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:48   #7

Politics aside....

When we were buying an array for installation on our cat in the Eastern Caribbean, the most economical source we found was Sun Electronics in Miami (https://sunelec.com/solar-panels/). Even with shipping & customs brokerage (St. Lucia) it was far better than anywhere local (and I mean between Trinidad and Antigua).

I'd check with them....if you're in CA, while someone big out there may be more competitive it might be they have warehouses out there and could be good. They WERE very knowledgeable and helpful...
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:21   #8

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post

Love this post
I bet half you electronics if not more are made in some sweat shop in Asia, and if China produces cheap panels that I can use for GREEN energy I will buy them , I will not buy from America if there prices are 3x the price just because they made the tec , I suppose we should only buy Italian Radios and VHF's and SSB and the derivatives thereafter because of Guglielmo Marconi.

Greta has more followers on instagram than you stop being jealous
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I just came across this in my morning financial news:

The U.S. solar industry has lost 62K new jobs and $19B in investments because of the Trump administration's tariffs on imported panels imposed nearly two years ago, according to a new report from the U.S. Solar Industries Association. Despite the tariffs, global panel prices have continued to fall due to an oversupply in top producer China, while U.S. prices are among the highest in the world for solar. A meeting today at the International Trade Commission could decide whether President Trump makes changes to, or even cancels, the four-year tariff that was imposed in early 2018.

I don't expect Trump to cancel any tariffs until right before the next election, so should I run up to Canada to buy panels?? Last time I looked they were cheaper in Australia, but that's a long way to sail.
Between 202 and 286% duty on chinese panels in Canada.
Typical political BS. Cut carbon but increase taxes on any attempt to do so.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:19   #10

I got my system for my cat from Custom Marine Products. They shipped me everything I needed and Tom walked my through every step of the install. What made this unique, I added a solar water heater to one of my fixed panelss. Now I do not need my engine for power or hot water.
tdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:25   #11
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotson View Post
I added a solar water heater to one of my fixed panelss. Now I do not need my engine for power or hot water.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...ot+water+solar

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=3013997

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2961435
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:38   #12

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

I found the best deal was to buy 2nd hand
We bought 9 x 250w Tier 1 Jinko panels with 9.5 years of 10 year warranty remaining for about $100 each delivered to the boat.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-jinko+solar+panels/k0
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 14:11   #13

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

See if you can find a local supplier where you can pick up the panels. Shipping them is a significant cost... at least for the large 60 cell hard panels.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 17:25   #14

Boat: Westerly 43

A company called Tindo manufactures solar panels in Australia which would not be subject to US tariffs due to the US Australia free trade agreement. They somehow manage to compete against dirt cheap Chinese imporys. Of course shipping small quantities might be a deal breaker, but I sense a good business opportunity.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 17:52   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Greta who?
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels