Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 12:52   #1

New wind generator install

Hello all. I am researching different wind generators/turbines. There are the "marine" units such as SilentWind (more $$$) and much cheaper, Chinese mini wind turbines, in the same rated wattages (400 watts and up) as the marine models. Has anyone here tried one of these cheaper, Chinese turbines? If so, how have they performed/held up? Typically, you get what you pay for, so would I just be throwing money away with a Chinese turbine or is there some good value turbine out there that you have found? I am thinking of just taking a chance on one of these cheap turbines, and if it didn't last, or was too noisy, then I would at least have some gained knowledge and infrastructure already in place when I upgraded to a high quality marine unit. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with Chinese turbines on your boat.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 18:09   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: New wind generator install

I have only experience with the common well known brands like D400, Air Marine, SuperWind, Kiss, Aerogen. I have no experience with SilentWind.
One way of going the other (?Chinese) way is this:
- select one of the well known brands you would buy if there were no cheap alternative brands
- install wiring for that (some have 2 wires, others have 3), hehehe, wiring is like groundtackle: go one or two sizes bigger)
- install a volt/amp/power meter to check the actual value of power generated
- ensure that your metal work, tubing, piping, supports, clearances etc will suit your chosen well-known model
THEN you have the infrastructure in place, now
- go shopping for a Chinese wind generator
- buy it, install it with/on your existing infrastructure
- operate that for a few years, see how you go
- particularly check those 3 values: mechanical reliability, power generated and noise

If that brand is all working for you, good on ya, and let us know, and many of us will follow that pathway. If not working satisfactorily, replace with your choosen brand, and you are much richer in experience, and only a little poorer money wise.
Old 08-03-2020, 18:20   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

My two comparisons are an older Air-X and a SilentWind. The SW was, and still is, leaps and bounds better. Better power production, and WAAAY better on the ears.

The problem with wind gens is not so much their power, but their noise. I just bet those cheapo versions are going to make you the pariah of the anchorage.

But if they're really cheap, it might be worth the price to try.
Old 08-03-2020, 19:44   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

For better power to noise ratio, power to $$ ratio, and power to maintenance hour ratio, go with more solar.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 20:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
For better power to noise ratio, power to $$ ratio, and power to maintenance hour ratio, go with more solar.

True indeed. But they compliment each well, especially on boats with limited solar capacity space.

I have 400 watts solar and a 400 watt wind gen. My guesstimate is that solar accounts for about 80-85% of our needs. But the wind gen often fills in the gaps when solar is suffering, such as when it's heavy overcast, and hence often stormy (windy). And of course overnight where it can make a real difference in morning SOC.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I have only experience with the common well known brands like D400, Air Marine, SuperWind, Kiss, Aerogen. I have no experience with SilentWind.
One way of going the other (?Chinese) way is this:
- select one of the well known brands you would buy if there were no cheap alternative brands
- install wiring for that (some have 2 wires, others have 3), hehehe, wiring is like groundtackle: go one or two sizes bigger)
- install a volt/amp/power meter to check the actual value of power generated
- ensure that your metal work, tubing, piping, supports, clearances etc will suit your chosen well-known model
THEN you have the infrastructure in place, now
- go shopping for a Chinese wind generator
- buy it, install it with/on your existing infrastructure
- operate that for a few years, see how you go
- particularly check those 3 values: mechanical reliability, power generated and noise

If that brand is all working for you, good on ya, and let us know, and many of us will follow that pathway. If not working satisfactorily, replace with your choosen brand, and you are much richer in experience, and only a little poorer money wise.
Thanks Hank, that suggestion makes lots of sense.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My two comparisons are an older Air-X and a SilentWind. The SW was, and still is, leaps and bounds better. Better power production, and WAAAY better on the ears.

The problem with wind gens is not so much their power, but their noise. I just bet those cheapo versions are going to make you the pariah of the anchorage.

But if they're really cheap, it might be worth the price to try.
The ones I have been eyeing are under $200 USD. I have been watching youtube videos by John Daniels who reviews these units. Results seem impressive from a power output POV but may not hold up in a marine environment.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:54   #8

Quote:
Agree. I will be adding more solar (maxing out avail sq. ft. with highest output panels I can get. Just looking to add other alternatives for when the sun doesn't comply.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
The ones I have been eyeing are under $200 USD. I have been watching youtube videos by John Daniels who reviews these units. Results seem impressive from a power output POV but may not hold up in a marine environment.
How is the noise? Seriously, this is a major consideration if you're going to be living with it, and if you hope to make any friends in busy anchorages.

If the noise levels are tolerable, and the power output is good, then it might be worth trying one out. At $200 it's basically 10% of the price of most known marine units.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:40   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
How is the noise? Seriously, this is a major consideration if you're going to be living with it, and if you hope to make any friends in busy anchorages.

If the noise levels are tolerable, and the power output is good, then it might be worth trying one out. At $200 it's basically 10% of the price of most known marine units.

This!!

Noise is the killer. We’ve got an air breeze that I’ve gone to great lengths to sand and fair the blades. Even so, at lower wind velocity it whistle whooshes. Of course at this speed it’s doing next to nothing to charge the batteries, so I just turn it off. But if it was loud at all wind speeds I’d never use the thing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:08   #11

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
True indeed. But they compliment each well, especially on boats with limited solar capacity space.

I have 400 watts solar and a 400 watt wind gen. My guesstimate is that solar accounts for about 80-85% of our needs. But the wind gen often fills in the gaps when solar is suffering, such as when it's heavy overcast, and hence often stormy (windy). And of course overnight where it can make a real difference in morning SOC.

Agree w/Mike's assessment that our typical electrical input is ~85% from solar and only a slight amount from the wind gen.
Another factor is your location and general wind speeds. Many areas are light wind so if you are in that area, need a wind gen. to start up in low speed.
To reduce noise in a cheaper Chinese model get one w/5-6 blades.

If you are not located in the high latitudes and don't have solar, would emphasize on that system vs. a wind gen. Definitely more bang for the buck!
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:15   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
If you are not located in the high latitudes and don't have solar, would emphasize on that system vs. a wind gen. Definitely more bang for the buck!
Actually, I think solar is great for higher latitudes. Panels are cooler and when we go sailing mainly during the summer, we have super long daylight hours. First time I went to the Caribbean I was shocked when someone turned the big light in the sky out at tea time.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:16   #13

Quote:

Difficult to tell about how noisy they are as his mic is not very good and it picks up lots of wind noise but not necessarily coming from the turbine. I don't recall him mentioning about any undue noise from them.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:19   #14

[QUOTE=Bill O;3091080]
To reduce noise in a cheaper Chinese model get one w/5-6 blades.
/QUOTE]

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:22   #15

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Love the concept of solar as well but I'm in Newfoundland and wind is the obvious choice for me so I'm waiting for someone to weigh in on this with working knowledge.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator