Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 00:28   #121

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht
Re: New wind generator install

My plea: if you can, go without the turbine.
In this marina there are no turbines, but in the past I was anchored/moored and docked near vessels with turbines, the noise they made really cut through bone.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 00:39   #122

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
In this marina there are no turbines, but in the past I was anchored/moored and docked near vessels with turbines, the noise they made really cut through bone.
I beg to differ.

Modern Windgens are much more quiet than the older generation.
Advances in blade engineering have made this possible.

I have several on the boats surrounding me at this very moment and you can hardly notice them.
I'm not hard on hearing I might add.
Old 28-06-2021, 04:56   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
Bigger ones, even if you can hear them, aren't as irritating. DO check the turbine static balance before fitting though. Fit a switch to force the braking load if it is getting on your nerves.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 06:19   #124

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
Bigger ones, even if you can hear them, aren't as irritating. DO check the turbine static balance before fitting though. Fit a switch to force the braking load if it is getting on your nerves.
Kiss Balancing

Wind generator noises aren't entirely the fault of blade design. Sometimes it's also a matter of balance.

I have one of the large-fan versions, a KISS, with which we are well pleased, despite its having been very abused in our 14 years of use (which included a 12-hour salt water immersion and an extended fresh water immersion, both of which responded to a spraydown with fresh water, an air-dry, and spray with Corrosion Block before reassembly).

However, a balancing axle is available. A static balance may match by weight, but does not include rotational forces. If you have a different model wind generator, you may have to fabricate a balancing axle; it will be well worth the effort.

KISS is no longer made, but new blades and hub are available from the prior manufacturer (now retired). The blades are gram-matched, ostensibly meaning that when you mount them, all is good.

Not so fast, Bucko. Dynamic balance that rig!

I used lead tape. In order to balance (see below on my modus), it took over a foot on two of the blades. It has to be done in a windless - not a breath of air - environment, of course. And, natch, I attach at the back side of the blade so as to not muck with the aerodynamics.

Here's how I measure whether I'm truly balanced or not:

My not-perfectly straight-flat workbench in the walkthrough has a fiddle. I find a level spot (how full the tanks are, and davits, and so on affects that) for one end of the axle, and use an aluminum torpedo level for the other. If both ends are level, it should not rotate if it's balanced. When it IS balanced, a slight tilt of the level (max bubble-touch, not way off) will cause the blade to rotate with the axle heading downhill. As my axle ends are about 1/4 inch, you can imagine that it takes a fair amount of torque to move a 30" blade - but, while slow, it WILL rotate, but not do so when level.

So, start by determining the heavy blade. That's the one which will end up "down" (probably not straight down unless the other two blades happen to be exactly matched). You'll be lead-taping the "light" blades. The previously "heavy" blade will become the "light" blade.

I put on the tape in amounts I estimate will work (it comes with a plastic sheet backing, like you'd find on double-stick tape rolls), sticking the ends lightly, initially. I start with one end relatively close to the hub. Some fiddling with how far out the tape is, and I'm close. When I have it reasonably close, with tape on two of the three blades, I get down to fine tuning.

By "close" I mean that the blades will rotate, but only slowly, with the bare blade (now) light. By that I mean that regardless of whether I start the blade at 8 or 4 in clock position, it wants to rise to the top from there. I then remove all the protective tape and fully attach the lead.

I then start, with a utility knife, removing segments of the tape from the ends to balance (slice gently so as to not damage the blade). Keep your pieces; you likely will have to fiddle with matching up the two weighted blades; mine are as small, as I get close, as 1/8" - but if handled carefully, will re-adhere. I start relatively large and get smaller as I approach nirvana

In the end, my metric is that the unweighted (now "heavy") blade, from either 10 or 2 clock positions, takes a minute or more to reach bottom - and that I can make the smallest adjustment to 'level' and also have it turn.

The difference, at least in our KISS, is stark. A mere Whiiiiissssshhhh, instead of a moan or groan or roar.

I suspect that any blade set could be similarly balanced, whether KISS or not. If you can put your hand on however it's mounted, and can feel vibration in the pole, likely your blades are not really balanced, even if your blade weights are within micrograms of each other...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:40   #125

Boat: Najad 373

Wow, Skip - this is a masterpiece, well done! [emoji106]
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:37   #126

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
Wow, Skip - this is a masterpiece, well done! [emoji106]

Glad you liked it.

Thanks.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:34   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Kiss Balancing

. And, natch, I attach at the back side of the blade so as to not muck with the aerodynamics.
Skip
The undercambered (higher pressure) side is better as the other side could cause airflow detach. Also, near the trailing edge as a bump facing the flow causes less turbulence than the trailing dip.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator