Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2021, 17:11   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Cats on a Boat

Never had one on board until this past weekend when a shipyard cat snuck into our lazarette and gave birth to two kittens.

We were thinking of taking one but unfortunately neither survived the week.

So we are wondering from experienced cat owners ...
1..is there any type or breed that you would recommend as to be better suited to boat life for a couple?
2...is Male or Female better company?

We have been offered to take one of these Siamese kittens.
Beautiful cats but not sure from reading, if they would be a good fit?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210217-WA0002.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	232709Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210217-WA0003.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	232710
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 17:56   #2

Re: Cats on a Boat

I think cats make great shipmates. Not sure any type or pedigree matters.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 18:28   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Cats are great shipmates. We lived- aboard with 2 Persian/Himilayans both were very mello cats. Did a cruise a few years ago with 2 other cats (1 tortie female and one tabby male) both did fine. Just keep a good scratching post onboard and train them to use. Make sure they have not been declawed and have all their shots. We never worried about them going overboard, they all loved being on the boat but tended to hide when the engine was running. Usually up in the Vee. Cats make great snugglers on colder winter nights! and seem to be conversation starters when people see them sleeping under the dodger.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 18:32   #4
CF Adviser

Are two cats better than one?
I would think a single one would bond better with her shipmates
Old 16-02-2021, 19:22   #5

Aboard ship a cat's human companions are always about, so there is less need than there is ashore for the cat to have a companion of her own kind.

I say "her" own kind because female cats, like female dogs, are (generally) gentler and more affectionate than are the males. A garden variety Persian moggy would be my preference over a Siamese because the Siamese are so vocal that it can get to be a pain.

Cats are great shipmates because they don't need to be taken ashore for their sanitation needs. In TrentePieds our 15 year old tom has an enclosed litterbox that lives permanently under the outboard end of a twartships table meant for four. With only MyBeloved and me aboard there is no need for foot room for us where the litter box is. With plain cat litter (unperfumed) we never notice that the litter box is there because the waste get scooped out and disposed of each day. I have no qualms about a scoop or two going over the side, because cat litter is only clay, and the amount of biological waste is as nothing compared with what the local seals bestow on our waters.

The cat's transport bag, a semirigid affair, lives, when we are aboard, under the inboard end of a settee where it just exactly fits. Cat sleeps in his bag for preference unless it gets very cold in which case he will come on my bunk. When under way he normally goes in his bag because he is smart enough to know that the sides of the bag serve as leeboards to keep him safe. I've only seen him sea sick once, and that was his first time out.

Feeding is much like ashore: A bowl for kibble that he eats as lib at his own pace. The requisite amount of soft food we give in a separate bowl three times a day, and he usually woofs it within couple of minutes. Water is given in a third bowl with the lip turned in so some amount always stays within the bowl even when we are rolling.

When we are on the hook or alongside he likes to sit on the top companionway steps where he can look out through the glazed companionway doors. We keep those doors closed, or the bug screen in, when he wants to go there because cats like to go exploring. Letting cat go ashore in a foreign port is not a good idea. We'd probably have to send the shore patrol out to find him :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 19:54   #6
CF Adviser

TrentePieds, thanks for that, most helpful.

I had read that Siamese cats can be vocal, get hyper when playing and sometimes bite, so will give that a pass.

Funny I had heard that male cats were more affectionate than females and note that you have a Tom, so still undecided on sex.

In the tropics, is it better to set up the poo box outside?
I understood they like privacy so I could make a little cat toilet under the port stern table where a cleaning station is above

Name:	20201022_104936.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	232720
Old 16-02-2021, 20:03   #7
CF Adviser

Further research in cats tat like water
https://www.petfinder.com/cat-breeds...at-like-water/
Old 16-02-2021, 20:04   #8

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Ones with short hair
Free
Female

We have had our ginga ninja onboard since we stepped on 4 years ago
Never seen a vet
Eats small fish as soon as they hit the deck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17505116_10208875935761515_6305011823801723606_o.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	232721  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 20:21   #9

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Just thought I would post this image which always gives me a smile

Credit to Kristi Black on Gatos del Mar: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2777...0970572076000/

This Bengal is even looking up, making sure to check the instruments and the sail trim!

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 20:59   #10

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Cats are like people (and, as far as I know, most 'higher order' animals); their personalities are variable by individual and heavily influenced by their early-life environment.

In other words, get a kitten, treat it well and you'll likely not go wrong.

Seems to me that purebreds, be they dog or cat, more often than not seem less 'interesting' than mutts...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 21:14   #11

Cats are funny beasts. I was a dog-man all my life till this Tom came into my life about eight years ago. Both being Toms, and since I was the "intruder", we circled each other for - oh - maybe a year before two-way trust was truly established. Now there is a very set routine in the condo. When MyBeloved and I sit down on the couch to watch the evening news, Cat absolutely insists that he must sit between us, and he will glower and meow till we give him room to do so. Cat not being my first language, I haven't worked out yet if he is protecting MyBeloved or if he wants me for himself :-)

Something that is distinctly different between cats and dogs is that whereas you can shame a dog into modifying his behaviour, if you try that, with this cat at any rate but I think it is so with all cats, it merely causes the cat to treat you with condescension. Attempts to compel seem to be met with instant repulsion and a raised paw, so "correct" behaviour (in cat terms) is called for at all times.

My last dog was a Old English Mastiff bitch that weighed 220 lbs, so I've had to modify MY behaviour very considerably to become acceptable to Cat.

Good luck with your husbandry :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 21:41   #12

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Yep, most cats are shameless, whilst most dogs, when caught out, are better known for their sheepishness .

Leaving aside the innuendo and cultural baggage of that...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 22:25   #13

Boat: Outremer 55L

Will you ever travel to a country with strict animal quarantine rules? If so, probably not a good idea.

Do check out the Facebook group Gatos del Mare.

We have two male cats (on land) and while they are very affectionate and don’t mind the boat much (they do get seasick and look so pathetic when in that state), we will not be taking them with us as we head over to Australia and thence to SE Asia, then the Americas.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 22:36   #14
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Will you ever travel to a country with strict animal quarantine rules? If so, probably not a good idea.

Do check out the Facebook group Gatos del Mare.

We have two male cats (on land) and while they are very affectionate and don’t mind the boat much (they do get seasick and look so pathetic when in that state), we will not be taking them with us as we head over to Australia and thence to SE Asia, then the Americas.
Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore would be the countries if COVID releases us.
Otherwise we would stay in Philippines

Is there a single site where I can look up pet rules for all of those othervcountries?
Old 16-02-2021, 23:02   #15

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore would be the countries if COVID releases us.
Otherwise we would stay in Philippines

Is there a single site where I can look up pet rules for all of those othervcountries?

Start with noonsite, then follow the biosecurity links.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat