Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 13:55   #1

Send me your desalinated water! - Help from the sailing community

Dear all,

I am a PhD student in Switzerland/Germany and for a research study we need drinkable desalinated water from all of the worlds oceans. That means

1.) South Pacific
2.) North Pacific
3.) South Atlantic
4.) North Atlantic
5.) Arctic Sea
6.) Antarctic Sea
7.) Indian Ocean

For now, I would need 10 liters from each of the oceans.
Here I'm reaching out to privat sailboat owners who are currently cruising in the mentioned waters and would be able to send drinkable desalinated water from there to middle Europe.

If this applies to you, please reply to this post or send me a private email to kull.tobi@gmail.com. In the reply, please specify from where the water would be and at what price you could send it to Germany.

If you know cruisers that currently sail in these waters, please feel free to share this post.

Thanks in advance!
All the best,
Tobias
tkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Send me your desalinated water! - Help from the sailing community

Welcome to CF.

Before anyone decides to send you what is quite a large amount of water, perhaps you will convince us that this isn't a con or wind up. Instead of a gmail account to reply to, perhaps an account with your university would add credence that this is genuine.

Also please explain the work you are doing and at which university are you studying, particularly what benefits this will be for people sailing oceans.

Finally why 10 litres? that's a a large volume to send from the Pacific. Why not one litre?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i would like to volunteer to go and collect samples for you,just pay my airfare,accommodation and expenses
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:33   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, a student should know the default response to a first post like that would be to assume it's a scam or prank.

And yes, a lot of water.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22   #5

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Am I missing something, does he need one person to send him 10 litres or does he need 10 litres from each region? I read it as 10 litres from each region. If I am right then 20 people from the same region each could send half a litre.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 16:51   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Am I missing something, does he need one person to send him 10 litres or does he need 10 litres from each region? I read it as 10 litres from each region. If I am right then 20 people from the same region each could send half a litre.
He says 10 liters from "each ocean" but then he splits them into regions (eg N and S Pacific). So that implies 5 l from each of those regions. He doesn't say whether that needs to come from only one collection or not. Regardless, he should provide more details about the study and his credentials.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 17:13   #7

Boat: Mirage 35

C’mon, let’s get serious here.

Asking for “desalinated water” provided by random cruisers in various oceans. So, desalinated under uncontrolled conditions provided by unknown participants in unknown locations. Not my idea of a scientific study. Start by defining “desalinated”.

Methinks a serious researcher would start by contacting interested departments at universities in the target areas.
Old 13-11-2018, 01:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
C’mon, let’s get serious here.

Asking for “desalinated water” provided by random cruisers in various oceans. So, desalinated under uncontrolled conditions provided by unknown participants in unknown locations. Not my idea of a scientific study. Start by defining “desalinated”.

Methinks a serious researcher would start by contacting interested departments at universities in the target areas.
around the world there are around 15000 commercial desalination plants providing water for cities and islands why not start there,they can probably supply a chemical analysis of the feed water and product together with the sample at the same time
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:34   #9

This is beyond silly!! The quantities are huge, and imagine the import and export headaches! Who sends 2.5 gallons of water across the world?

By the way I'm doing my thesis on the various distilled liquors around the world. I'd like to focus on the many types of rum from the Caribbean, the Single Malts from around Scotland, the small town Mexican Tequilas, the unique gins from the UK, all the American Bourbons, some of those rare French Cognacs and brandies, the fine Russian and Polish Vodkas, some of the rare and unique Mediterranean drinks like Ouzo and others...... What did I forget except those "eminently forgettable Canadians". This will be a long term taste test, as well as testing the variations of the drunken state between them.... Is Tequila really more fun? For this testing, I would like to ask cruisers to send me half a dozen bottles of each. In gratitude for your trouble and investment, I will feature your name highly in the credits. Please contact me privately off the forum to work out the details.

You will have the honor and privilege of contributing to a scientific work of profound import. Your name in the credits is a legacy your children and grandchildren can be proud of for generations.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 12:04   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Tobias hasn't been back on CF since 11 November, I think we are talking to ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
This is beyond silly!! The quantities are huge, and imagine the import and export headaches! Who sends 2.5 gallons of water across the world?.
You would have hoped that someone who qualified as a Master of Science in Biotechnology/Systems Biology three years ago might have a little gumption. That assumes he posted and not one of his student friends, for a laugh, you know what students are like.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 15:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Tobias hasn't been back on CF since 11 November, I think we are talking to ourselves.
Pete

Guess it doesn't say much for us that we've got nothing better to do than talk to ourselves ;-)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 21:30   #12

Boat: MacGregor 26

My kidneys do a great job filtering salts...
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, water