Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 18:59   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Rum Drinks

All good rhum is my favourite rum! ;-)

I love old aged kinds as far as I can afford these. Drank clean, these are my faves. 7 to 15 years or so.

I like plain white ones like Bacardi to start with. But there are good things beyond and above Bacardi too. You know.

And then there is this thing called OVERPROOF. Not to be used before navigation!

https://media-verticommnetwork1.netd...-1272574_e.png

Overproof is amazing in drinks as it allows me to keep proof well above 20 degrees even in 4 to 1 mixes.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 19:29   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I prefer Meyer's Original Dark, tastes of molasses to me, with almost any fruit juice blend containing OJ/pineapple it's a Mai Tai.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers%27s_Rum

That's my drink. I call it a boat drink actually. But I have been trying Bacardi Black lately, it's half the price of Myers and is not bad. In the states I'll buy Dole OJ with pineapple juice but be careful because they like to sneak apple juice in there too. Or Simply Orange with pineapple. For the OP just do about 1/3rum to 2/3 juice and you almost have a mai tai. And forget that spiced rum stuff, yukko.
Old 11-06-2020, 13:42   #18

Boat: Beneteau 393

the rum mixed with fruit juices seems to sweet/heavy. Capt liked it with iced tea. Going to try it with Ginger beer this weekend. thank you for the ideas.
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 13:54   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The cardinal rule is anything mixes well with rum. Generally 1/3 rum 1/3 soda water and 1/3 something else is good.
Old 11-06-2020, 14:21   #20

I don't know if you'll find this in the Bahamas, but, when I was near Colon, Panama at Shelter Bay Marina a few years back had something called Abuelo rum. I'm not a rum drinker, but this was very smooth and tasty on the rocks.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 15:26   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Very dangerous as the Abuelo is no more that. $14 a L and I hear sometimes can be had for $6/L.

It's very smooth rum.
Old 11-06-2020, 16:45   #22

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'm having a boat drink now here in the PNW. Life's good.
Old 11-06-2020, 17:23   #23

If you are going to drink coke, then don’t ruin it with rum!

And heaven forbid don’t ruin rum by adding coke or ....

I don’t even add ice, I keep my rum in the freezer!
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 17:34   #24

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

day to day - kraken will serve well
special occasion - zafra 30yr
cocktail - cheapest rum, coconut milk, pineapple juice in equal parts

having said that, good beer is easy to make. weve been doing it since the caves...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 17:53   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30

When we were off cruising we tended to drink whatever was cheap. Often this was rum. Abuelo is good stuff in Panama. Quite like the agricole rums in Guadeloupe. They are made directly from sugar cane rather than from molasses or some other form of refined sugar. Not expensive, you probably either really like it or really don't. Tried Bundaberg in Oz, not cheap and not good. Fortunately good wines were very cheap there.
Old 14-06-2020, 17:13   #26

Cut a lime in half, squeeze it into a tall glass full of ice and muddle the lime, add a shot(or two) of good light rum, then top up the glass with just about any lightly flavored carbonated beverage(I like ginger ale, or carbonated flavored waters... Ive also tried Keystone light, ginger beer, and sprite... they are all good). Stir it all up with a spoon or whatever and you're good to go!!

Its super refreshing and my drink of choice on hot days
burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 15:59   #27

Boat: Hopefully a cruising Catamaran about 40'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
The traditional drink is ginger beer and rum. If you like ginger, ginger beer, ginger ale, etc this might appeal to you. You can also add lime to it.

Rum varies widely in flavor and bite. Attempt to drink different types from different islands. You might find one you like a lot more than others.
Classic Dark and Stormy. Originally Goslings Black Seal Rum as the story goes. They even have a trademark for "Dark n' Stormy". Apparently they even make their own ginger beer now.
DazeAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 07:31   #28

I'm a mainlander. When I vacate at my beach condo, I like to get aged rum (milder than spiced or dark) and mix it with Dole pineapple/orange Juice...garnish it with a maraschino cherry (and a tsp of the juice). It's not a mai tai, but it's similar and only 3 ingredients to obtain. Don't make it difficult...it tastes tropical and does the job.

3oz Pineapple juice + 3oz of Real Coco + 1.5oz of Rum = Pina Colada.
Use really fine ice and shake or blend if you want it frozen. You can always make a fresher version, but this is easy and gets great reviews from people lucky enough to have me mix for them.
https://www.target.com/p/coco-real-c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Of course, I also like using rum with deserts. I like vanilla or pineapple soft serve ice cream with an ounce of dark rum poured over the top in a dish. That's pretty good because dark rum isn't as sweet as the lighter varieties. It can be a very sophisticated desert on a hot afternoon by the water (or indoors in air conditioning while you work from home during a pandemic).
scarpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 07:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazeAtSea View Post
Classic Dark and Stormy. Originally Goslings Black Seal Rum as the story goes. They even have a trademark for "Dark n' Stormy". Apparently they even make their own ginger beer now.
Yeah. Ginger beer varieties are very hit or miss. My favorite is Fever Tree. It has that strong, almost peppery flavor that goes good in a Dark N' Stormy...

It also goes good in a Bourbon Breeze which is basically Bourbon, cranberry juice, splash of lime juice and a splash of ginger beer...garnish with a lime or orange slice. Many recipes don't call for it, but cranberry/ginger go well together with the bourbon...you could probably make that drink with spiced rum just as easily, but with all rum drinks, you have to be careful not to mix too much sugar with the rum. The drinks can become too heavy and filling very fast.
scarpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:11   #30

Not a fan of the candy rums, like Myers and Capt Morgan etc. My favorite was the Brugal Resserva from the D.R. but hard to find in the US, except Florida.
Attached Images

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum