Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 08:17   #1441

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I have found the biggest differential to eating well is learning how to preserve Foods and even growing a little can help so much. I ferment vegetables, solar dehydrate fruit, and have the knowledge and equipment to can meat and beans ....
So much to learn new things. Interesting. Tks for sharing.

As I brought up shortly the topic fermentation may I ask: Would it be worth to setup an own thread for this aspect of "preservation", "storaging" and "growing/planting" ? - Maybe it mixes up little bit with this existing one "receipes" ? - What you think ?
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:45   #1442

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

There's one called lactose fermenting for preserving foods. Last post was 2014!. I'll put some of my successes on soon. I also have many posts and photos on the thread growing food.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 19:23   #1443

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Butternut pumpkin & ginger soup #472 on page 32

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1641383

Substituted mung beans for lentils
Added garlic, curry spices, salt, and fresh crushed black pepper
Enjoyed it then, have frozen leftovers for the future.

Thanks for all the work compiling these recipes!
Old 18-05-2020, 10:58   #1444

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi All,
I was browsing through some online recipes today (still a favourite pastime ) and it struck me how plant based eating has become almost mainstream in the relatively short time since I drafted the first post here, let alone since I first started cruising full time.

Veganism was considered “whacky” by many a decade ago, but this diet/lifestyle has become widely accepted now with many restaurants now not only including plant based recipes, but catering exclusively in this manner. Interestingly, it seems that for some people reducing the detrimental environmental impact of raising livestock is the driving force. This issue was rarely raised 10-20 years ago.

The upshot is that rather than struggling to find new recipes and ideas, I am now happily flooded by choice .

It was interesting scrolling back through this thread today. I had so much fun interacting with so many of you while exploring vegan recipes. Thank you all for this .

It was also interesting for me seeing how many recipes included here have now become firm favourites on board and have been made countless times. Anyone peeking in my fridge right now will see sealed jars of Carrot and ginger soup (post #542), Dhal (post #21), West African peanut stew (post #353), White sauce (post #21), Sun dried tomato & walnut pesto (post #1041), Stewed apple (post #5) and a double batch of Lemony ginger oatmeal cookie dough (post #78). Oh, and of course our staple of yeast based pizza dough and tomato topping for this as well (post #47).

Anyone with any favourite plant based recipes to share? During this lockdown I think all of us have more time for playing in the galley.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 19:42   #1445
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

I've recently made a number of recipes that normally call for chick peas, like hummus and falafel, with large lima beans (what the British call butterbeans).

Next I'm going to try using them as a substitute for chestnuts in a chestnut turinois recipe. It might be interesting!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 23:27   #1446

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
I've recently made a number of recipes that normally call for chick peas, like hummus and falafel, with large lima beans (what the British call butterbeans).

Next I'm going to try using them as a substitute for chestnuts in a chestnut turinois recipe. It might be interesting!
Hi SuW
Now that is an interesting thought! Butterbeans have a creamy texture and mild flavour and may substitute well for chesnut puree. Let us know how it turns out.

I often alter the type of pulses used in a recipe depending on whim and what I have on hand. I haven’t used butterbeans much, but I sometimes make hummus with navy beans (= Boston beans) and that turns out well. Yesterday’s lot of West African peanut stew was made by lazily throwing in a couple of tins of Heinz Baked Beans instead of chickpeas .

My other half is not generally a big fan of whole pulses (an understatement ), but he loves Baked Beans and he doesn’t mind red lentils. For other pulses, I have found that pureeing these little protein packed gems in soups and dips and even cakes is a great way of incorporating them in meals.

SWL

Old 23-05-2020, 16:12   #1447
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi SuW
Now that is an interesting thought! Butterbeans have a creamy texture and mild flavour and may substitute well for chesnut puree. Let us know how it turns out.

I often alter the type of pulses used in a recipe depending on whim and what I have on hand. I haven’t used butterbeans much, but I sometimes make hummus with navy beans (= Boston beans) and that turns out well. Yesterday’s lot of West African peanut stew was made by lazily throwing in a couple of tins of Heinz Baked Beans instead of chickpeas .

My other half is not generally a big fan of whole pulses (an understatement ), but he loves Baked Beans and he doesn’t mind red lentils. For other pulses, I have found that pureeing these little protein packed gems in soups and dips and even cakes is a great way of incorporating them in meals.

SWL
Well that was a worthwhile experiment! I made a chestnut turinois with large lima beans (aka butter beans) instead of chestnut puree and it is great.

I cannot get chestnut puree around here and, seeing a recipe in the Guardian for a chocolate torte with chickpeas made me try the substitution.

The original recipe:
1 tin chestnut puree (16 oz/450 g) sweetened or unsweetened.
(If using unsweetened, use 6 oz/170 g sugar)
6 oz/170 g butter
10 oz/300 g plain chocolate
Flavoring alternatives:
Zest and juice of 1 orange, plus 2 tbsp Grand Marnier
or 1 tsp vanilla
or 1/2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in a little water plus 2 tbsp Kahlua

Beat the butter and sugar (if used) until light and fluffy
Beat in chestnut puree and melted chocolate.
Add flavourings/liquor and beat again until light.

Put into an oiled loaf tin and put in fridge until set (1-2 hours).

You can also divide the mix in two and fold in stiffly whipped cream to one half to get a second layer of a lighter texture and colour (put it on the bottom of the loaf tin).

When set, turn out the dessert onto a plate, if you're feeling fancy.

The only downside was taking the skins off the beans - next time I'll put them in a blender and then rub the result through a sieve!
Old 24-05-2020, 04:33   #1448

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well that was a worthwhile experiment! I made a chestnut turinois with large lima beans (aka butter beans) instead of chestnut puree and it is great.

I cannot get chestnut puree around here and, seeing a recipe in the Guardian for a chocolate torte with chickpeas made me try the substitution.
Hi SuW
Thanks for the feedback!
The combination of chocolate and coffee or orange sounds just lovely in this recipe as well.

I love hearing about good substitutions or ingredients that I had never previously considered in a recipe and experimenting .
eg Grated raw zucchini or cooked pureed beetroot are excellent additions to chocolate cake mix, producing wonderfully moist texture with no hint that vegetables were added.

I frequently come across recipes for Blondies that use pureed chickpeas. Given your success I will gather up the courage to try this.

SWL

Old 24-05-2020, 06:11   #1449
SuW

Yes, I think you're right. I've been moved to step outside my usual range of ingredients and it's interesting the substitutions you can make.

I think that chocolate mousse could be made with any beans, even kidney beans.

I usually think of peas and beans as savory foods not desserts but there are a lot of Chinese recipes for things like sweet dumplings with beans.

I was thinking about your meditation on the increasing awareness of vegetarian and vegan foods. Obviously there are some cuisines where plant-based foods predominate.

I am from England originally and was there during the BSE scandal - that turned a lot of people off meat (and led to a lot of disbelief in government health messages, shamefully). To this day I cannot donate blood in Canada.
Old 24-05-2020, 07:29   #1450

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I think you're right. I've been moved to step outside my usual range of ingredients and it's interesting the substitutions you can make.

I think that chocolate mousse could be made with any beans, even kidney beans.

I usually think of peas and beans as savory foods not desserts but there are a lot of Chinese recipes for things like sweet dumplings with beans.

I was thinking about your meditation on the increasing awareness of vegetarian and vegan foods. Obviously there are some cuisines where plant-based foods predominate.

I am from England originally and was there during the BSE scandal - that turned a lot of people off meat (and led to a lot of disbelief in government health messages, shamefully). To this day I cannot donate blood in Canada.
Yes, I think awareness is definitely increasing, and even more so acceptance.

Vegetarian diets were for decades viewed as left field and vegans were decidedly put in the extreme category (translate that as nutcases). I am surprised just how quickly vegan diets have now become almost mainstream.

When I started this thread seven years ago, vegans were being taunted awfully in a couple of other threads. That is thankfully changing dramatically.

On the subject of BSE, CJD is a horrific condition, although thankfully rare. I am acutely aware attempted sterilisation of surgical instruments does not kill prions. It is a good reason to avoid procedures that are not vital.

——————-

I have just finished baking a pan of chickpea blondies .

I will post the recipe when it has cooled and we have taste tested it. The bit I cut off the edge was certainly yummy, but the real marker of success is if it gets the thumbs up from my other half .

SWL

Old 24-05-2020, 07:36   #1451

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Yes, I think awareness is definitely increasing, and even more so acceptance.

Vegetarian diets were for decades viewed as left field and vegans were decidedly put in the extreme category (translate that as nutcases). I am surprised just how quickly vegan diets have now become almost mainstream.

When I started this thread seven years ago, vegans were being taunted awfully in a couple of other threads. That is thankfully changing dramatically.

In the subject of BSE, CJD is a horrific condition, although thankfully rare. I am acutely aware attempted sterilisation of surgical instruments does not kill prions. It is a good reason to avoid procedures that are not vital.

——————-

I have just finished baking a pan of chickpea blondies .

I will post the recipe when it has cooled and we have taste tested it. The bit I cut off the edge was certainly yummy, but the real marker of success is if it gets the thumbs up from my other half .

SWL

Nice! I. A vegetarian but not vegan. The only thing I can say is that I did this over time, slowly almost naturally. I find most people don’t care at all if you are this or that. The only thing no one wants is those who feel superior just because they are this or that (the preachy ones). Looking forward to your recipes!
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 08:04   #1452

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Nice! I. A vegetarian but not vegan. The only thing I can say is that I did this over time, slowly almost naturally. I find most people don’t care at all if you are this or that. The only thing no one wants is those who feel superior just because they are this or that (the preachy ones). Looking forward to your recipes!
Thanks Dan.

I can’t put a label on my diet, but I certainly eat a high proportion of vegan meals, particularly since starting cruising. Fish is still sometimes consumed and I do love cheese .

I am not fanatical about what I eat, but I do try and limit sugar intake, as well as what I consider to be “empty calories” (freshly baked bread is perhaps the exception). I think being fanatical about what is consumed is mentally unhealthy, or at least that is my excuse for indulging in treats . I do at least usually try and select what I consider to be better alternatives.

SWL

Old 24-05-2020, 09:59   #1453
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
I agree. I have a Mohawk friend who is vegan but he still goes hunting to bring meat to the elders in his community.

We have to live and let live.
Old 24-05-2020, 11:13   #1454

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I have enjoyed watching this thread roll along. I keep checking in to see what has developed. So thank you to the contributors.

Speaking of pulses....inspired by a recent Bon Appetit video https://youtu.be/7eV1ZgwB9bY, we made dosa on the boat this last week.

We used equal parts rice flour and ground masor dal, with a pinch of fenugreek and enough water to make a thin crepe like batter. Ferment for two days and cook on a hot griddle like a crepe. A little ghee around the edges as it cooks.

The result was crisp and delectable. These things can be filled with sweet or savory stuff from your imagination. The batter keeps for a good while sitting in a cool dry place. We love griddling out a couple dosa for afternoon tea or to complement a meal, serving fresh and hot.

The ingredients can be varied and experimented with. We have a following batch made with a bit of left over rice from lunch and freshly ground dal.
Old 24-05-2020, 11:14   #1455

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chickpea Blondies

Chickpea Blondies (more appetisingly could be called Banana Blondies)

I looked through about a dozen recipes online, all with one common base: a 400g tin of chickpeas. From there the other ingredients varied significantly in quantity:
eg Bananas 1 - 3
Maple syrup ¼ - ½ cup
Oats 0 - 1.75 cups

I took the middle ground with most of the items, but I bumped up the amount of chocolate . It is a dead easy recipe, literally child’s play.

These are the ingredients I selected.

400 g can chickpeas, washed and drained well
1 cup rolled oats
2 ripe bananas
¼ cup salted peanut butter
⅓ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder

100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped

Method:
Puree the first 7 ingredients (I used a stick mixer).
Fold in the chocolate.

The recipes indicated this needed to be cooked in a square pan in a moderate oven around 20-30 minutes, making sure the pan is removed while the centre still seems a bit undercooked. They dry out otherwise.

I “baked” mine in a frypan.
Frypan cooking method (makes 2):
Line a pan with a round piece of teflon sheet to aid flipping.
Spread half the mixture evenly over the base.
Cover with another round piece of teflon sheet, cover with a well fitting lid and cook on low until the bottom is browned (this took 8 minutes on my induction hotplate on the lowest power setting of 450 watts).
Flip onto a board and slide back into the pan (the teflon sheets make this easy). I cooked this a further 3 minutes.
Cool before eating, as the centre firms up. Cut as desired.

I refrigerated half the mixture and will bake this in a few days.

Verdict?
These blondies look fairly ordinary, but the flavour is good. Banana dominates. It is impossible to tell they contain chickpeas.
They are moist and filling and a relatively healthy sweet treat to have with coffee. I wouldn’t rave about them, but they are good enough that I would make this recipe again.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17A2B88D-3708-4D54-919E-FC877EEC9FBE.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	215705