Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:03   #31
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Milk - anyone know a tasty brand of milk powder ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Powdered milk has come a long way in the past few years. Well chilled it's hard to tell from 2%.
OK, I am NOT callin ya a liar ta yer face... but I can remember the gyrations my mom went through trying to convince my sister and me that the dry stuff was as good as what came outta the carton... and I am tellin you man, no matter what she did, half dry half fresh, dry camouflaged into a fresh milk container, chocolate added, it NEVER worked. We used to suss it out like a pig scents truffles.

I remember taking a blue El Marko and writing "Mother's Milk" and "Blue Moo" all over a tupperware pitcher and depositing it, with the exposed faux milk in it, in the fridge. I think that about put an end to her economy efforts in that vein.

And I gotta say, I made a batch last week, and while it was an improvement over the vile stuff of my youth... I just can't imagine sayin "it's hard to tell apart"!

So I'm a little worried about ya buddy. Next time you go in fer a physical ask the DOc to run a work up on that tongue of yers... I'm thinkin you may have fried your taste buds beyond redemption!

; -D

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10   #32

Boat: Beneteau 46 - Intruder II

Have you considered ultra-pasteurized milk boxes? They come in pint/quart/liter containers and have a room tempeture shelf life of months. I found that the 2% when chilled tastes little different than fresh.
shanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:15   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Best results with powdered milk is to mix it with warm water and then chill overnight. It really makes a difference.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Hi Lin!

It is a wonderful opportunity to say hello! You and Larry have been an inspiration.

My solution has been two fold:

For milk for cereal and baking, I use part powdered milk and then mix with some regular milk or UHT.

For coffee...which is a must have...I used canned, condensed milk (unsweetened). It is wonderful in coffee. I do not use the fridge on my boat, when cruising. I have found that I can poke just a single hole in a can of canned milk, then cover with a clean cloth after use and it will stay good for days (it is sterile, after all). Keep the cloth or paper towel in place with a rubber band, or similar.

I have not tried this but.....you COULD actually try mixing in one can of condensed milk into your powered milk. That might help the taste.

Since canned milk last a very very long time, and comes in small or large cans, it is excellent to have on cruises.

Hope this helps

LOVE YOU!

John
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47   #35

I carry some fresh milk when I start out. Quarts so there is less chance it will all go bad at once.
I also start off with several frozen quarts of milk from home and defrost them one by one as I use them.
I also use Bailey's Irish Cream in my morning coffee. This helps prolong the milk supply and tastes REAL GOOD too and does not need refridgeration.
I carry some UHT milk too if I can't find a store and the frozen milk runs out.
After all of the above have been depleted I will break into the powdered milk supply. Have not seen Nido brand in the stores I frequent so I usually get Carnation. But, I agree it's best to make it ahead of time and get it cold before drinking. Though I usually end the season not having to open up any of the powdered milk stores as I can often get fresh milk somewhere along in my travels.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06   #36

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Wow ! that Cow thing sounds good !! if I remove all my baggy wrinkle, maybe I can fit a cow !! always face the wind ?? whata deal milk and baggy wrinkle all in one package !! now thats packaging !! a criusers dream! except I will have to take the bunks out of the V berth to get all the Hay in HUMMM maybe this mite not work out!! o yea I can dry the crap for fire wood in the heater !! Im really on a roll here LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:12   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Wow ! that Cow thing sounds good !! if I remove all my baggy wrinkle, maybe I can fit a cow !! always face the wind ?? whata deal milk and baggy wrinkle all in one package !! now thats packaging !! a criusers dream! except I will have to take the bunks out of the V berth to get all the Hay in HUMMM maybe this mite not work out!! o yea I can dry the crap for fire wood in the heater !! Im really on a roll here LOL Bob and Connie
You may want to take baby steps first. We have a forum member who can advise you on a goat.

David?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41   #38

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
OK, I am NOT callin ya a liar ta yer face... but I can remember the gyrations my mom went through trying to convince my sister and me that the dry stuff was as good as what came outta the carton... and I am tellin you man, no matter what she did, half dry half fresh, dry camouflaged into a fresh milk container, chocolate added, it NEVER worked. We used to suss it out like a pig scents truffles.

I remember taking a blue El Marko and writing "Mother's Milk" and "Blue Moo" all over a tupperware pitcher and depositing it, with the exposed faux milk in it, in the fridge. I think that about put an end to her economy efforts in that vein.

; -D
You're mom must have known mine. I had to go down the same road when I was a kid.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:42   #39

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Powdered milk has come a long way in the past few years. We no longer get fresh milk even when it's readily available. We only use it in tea and a jug of milk takes up a lot of room in the fridge. Walmart powdered milk works well, we make up about half a quart at a time. Well chilled it's hard to tell from 2%.

Well it might be hard to tell the difference if mixed with a few shots of rum maybe.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If you realy want to work on this cow thing how about using it to run a methane generator for cooking gas. But to be realy effecient it would be even better to divert the contence of the head in there as well. Super effeciency could only come about if you managed to "harvest" the cows belches from the fermentation of the hay in the cows 4 stomachs. This would answer the concern of environmental aware frends that wory about the greenhouse effect that a cow would have. The added appeal in this for me would be the next time someone said my cooking tasted like s$%t i could say "funny you should say that ...."
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why not use UHT milk instead of powdered? It's slightly harder to store, but soooo much tastier, and lasts just as long. And you don't have to mix it, and it comes with its own water. A real boon for cruisers, IMHO.
It's the trash issue for me. Those packages aren't anything I'd feel comfortable throwing in the water, and I drink a lot of milk. At least a quart a day, sometimes more like half a gallon. Even just doing weekend cruising I hate the trash impact of those Parmalat containers.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:02   #42
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I hear ya, the terra-paks, for all they SOUND nifty and green are so NOT... We don't toss'em over of course, but yeah, they suck.

The dry milk powder comes in pouches that are not recyclable; 'mixed-media paper/foil/plastic', but are much less bulk to dispose of. Or they come in #5 can that are recyclable or can if out in the deep, go overboard, and will rust away whilst providing habitat for little critters.

Canned milk in tins are more recycle or decomposable friendly.

NO perfect answer is there.

What does little 'red rebel' drink? well, besides Mama's milk ; -)

We are high volume users as well... If the cruising long term happens it will be an issue for me. We have 10 days on the hook planned next summer and I am already planning...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

Of the many kinds we had onboard, we found this brand tasting best (read closest to the real thing):

Bienvenue sur le site d'Isigny Sainte-Mère

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found whole milk powder is good--i find it here in mexico. the fat free milks in powder taste like hell and so do the ultraviolet ones. i donot drink milk straight-- i drink it in coffee and other places that half and half is used. i dont like flavor of nido--found off brands in mexico--mimarca, found in santa fe markets, without the lecithin is best. dissolves easily and tastes less crappy than most. good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:49   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
What does little 'red rebel' drink? well, besides Mama's milk ; -)
Yeah the kid adds a whole new layer to provisioning.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote