Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 18:01   #61

Re: Milk - anyone know a tasty brand of milk powder ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
errr.. where exactly?

None of the recycle programs in the Bay Area take them. They are mixed media and as such can't compost or recycle as paper or plastic. They have to be sent to dedicated sites that specialize in processing the paks.
You could take DOJ's goat along to eat the packaging then you would have a choice between UHT and fresh goats milk. After a week of goats milk you will learn to enjoy powered cows milk. As a kid we had the choice of goats milk and condensed milk because of where we lived. i can not stand goats milk even today and if i take condensed milk i open the can take a spoon and it is gone!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 19:51   #62

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mates. Several powdered and UHT options down here in New Zealand. You can even buy full cream in the UHT version. Big difference in taste between the kiwi and yank versions. I put it down to corn fed (most U.S.) vs. grass fed (most N.Z.). Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 22:11   #63

Boat: Able 50

NZ UHT milk is also available in Fiji, Cook Islands and Vanuatu. Good stuff.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:30   #64

OK, I only got through the first page....it's been awhile since I used powered milk, but we used carnation. Almost doubled the amount suggested, blended in warm water, put it in a good jar and darn near freeze it. Next day you have some decent milk tasting whatever. To make it a little better, I used malt as an additive, makes it almost like fresh milk off the farm. Add chacolate malt for a treat.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:53   #65

For mixing powders into water, take a page from us fitness crazies who mix our protein and various supplements in water. I think these originally came from cooks, but every gym rat has at least a couple blender bottles.

Amazon.com: Sundesa BB28-SC08 28-Ounce BlenderBottle with BlenderBall, Black: Kitchen & Dining
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:43   #66

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38

Whole milk Nido when you can find it is great....mix just a little water for cream, is great in cooking and the only powdered milk I've ever actually drank a glass of....everything else I've had just tastes like powdered white milk flavoring
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:54   #67

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
I am pretty sure that Nido has a little more sugar than your average powdered milk. OTOH, I used to know someone who referred to powdered milk as instant flour - works especially well for making pancakes stretch just a little further than you have flour for.
Old 02-02-2012, 21:05   #68

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
For mixing powders into water, take a page from us fitness crazies who mix our protein and various supplements in water. I think these originally came from cooks, but every gym rat has at least a couple blender bottles.

Amazon.com: Sundesa BB28-SC08 28-Ounce BlenderBottle with BlenderBall, Black: Kitchen & Dining
Just don't get why one needs supplements and powdered protein when plenty of high quality real food available thesedays.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 21:18   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Just don't get why one needs supplements and powdered protein when plenty of high quality real food available thesedays.
/rantsubject

Eating 1g of protein per pound of body weight, a generally agreed upon rule of thumb by anyone in the realm of sports nutrition, is really hard to achieve without supplements. And that's a minimum. 1-2g per pound is the actual recommendation. Trying to eat 180-360 grams of protein, every day, from natural sources, is just insanely hard.

Two scoops of whey protein (which is nothing more than dried dairy byproducts; no more evil than dried milk) knocks out 50 grams right there.

Basically, strength training is essential for good health. You have a higher metabolism, you get less injuries, you have lower blood pressure, you have higher bone density, and you're removed from so many common risk categories related to obesity and being deconditioned.

So everyone should be a "strength training athlete", working as hard as they can physically to require constant adaptation from their bodies. That adaptation requires a lot of nutrition, primarily in the form of protein and vegetables.

Ideally you would eat it all naturally and it's certainly best, but "supplementing" 20%-50% of your protein needs is standard practice by people who've managed to stay fit for a very long time.

And again, those supplements are not engineered in a lab. It's dried whey, of curds and whey.

Protein Requirements for Strength and Power Athletes | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

and the site in general:

Lyle McDonald - Bodyrecomposition
Old 02-02-2012, 21:21   #70

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Moreover, protein drinks and milk have been shown to be the most effective recovery drinks so that you aren't as sore the net day.
Old 02-02-2012, 21:30   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Moreover, protein drinks and milk have been shown to be the most effective recovery drinks so that you aren't as sore the net day.
I'd guzzle milk by the gallon if it wasn't for the carbs.
Old 02-02-2012, 21:42   #72

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
+ 1 on that.

The Admiral is a nutrition expert and I have been schooled that you don't need dairy for your calcium and you don't need animal protein either.... Protein is essential but whether from animal or vegetable sources gets broken down in your body into essential fatty acids which in-turn are used to synthesis protein for your body's cells. (You don't use protein directly to build bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.) Furthermore, a very high protein diet causes acidosis in your body which has many adverse health effects including bone loss. (It's a fact that regions with high meat and dairy diets including the US/Europe have higher per-capita incidences of hip fracture than areas with plant-focused diets).

We've greatly reduced the meat and dairy we eat but regardless: We can't find a suitable substitute for milk in our coffee. Not soy or almond nor coconut milks. We pack Parmalot 1% on our boat.

A few references, if interested:

Calcium Content of Foods | Patient Education | UCSF Medical Center

Metabolic Consequences of a High Dietary-Protein Intake in Adulthood: Assessment of the Available Evidence
Nutrition (search these pages for "acidosis")
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 21:52   #73
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

It makes me amazingly happy that one of the best recovery drinks is chocolate milk.. it proves there is a god ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:02   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
/rantsubject

Basically, strength training is essential for good health. You have a higher metabolism, you get less injuries, you have lower blood pressure, you have higher bone density, and you're removed from so many common risk categories related to obesity and being deconditioned.

So everyone should be a "strength training athlete", working as hard as they can physically to require constant adaptation from their bodies. That adaptation requires a lot of nutrition, primarily in the form of protein and vegetables.
Strength and fitness are not necessary the same thing, i only need to look in the mirror to know that. The link between fitness and health is clearly a fact. While i am sure that you understand the difference between strength and body building training many dont. Then we get to the issue of over training and the wear and tear on joints leading to loss of moblity in later life with the resulting loss of fitness.

Drifting back towards the OP question and the reason that the question was asked, basicaly that there were 2 kids involved and the parents wanted the kids to drink milk. Dietary need do change with age so what may be applicable to you may not be same with the kids. But this would be an interesting seperate thread.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:20   #75

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I worked in Mt Isa in the 70's,

The milk came in by tanker from Atherton in N Queensland, It was filled with ice at Townsville,

It was in small plastic bags when you bought it. litre bags,

Do not give this milk to small children as it doesnt have enough body or nutrition left in it to feed them on,

Feed it to kids and they will die of starvation, Fact.

We had to feed our kids on powdered milk,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote