Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 05:15   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I'm guessing no refrigeration is required as there's no actual food in it.
It tells you to refrigerate after opening, but I figure that could be to make us feel better. I do not glow in the dark though after 60 years of eating it and still enjoy it so all appears well.

Coops.
Old 19-07-2013, 05:21   #212

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Mayo

I abhor a thread drift but is there anything to the old story that there are barrels off San Francisco that are leaking nuclear waste? As in contaminating fish. Perhaps that leaves a tartar-ish taste.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:24   #213

had to look up 'salad cream'

Salad cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the US equivalent would be Miracle Whip
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:53   #214

Boat: Skookum 53'

It's like MW, only a bit sweeter, and yellow colored, yellow dye #4 or something like that, never saw it in the states.
Old 19-07-2013, 06:30   #215
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
It's like MW, only a bit sweeter, and yellow colored, yellow dye #4 or something like that, never saw it in the states.

Well, I did a taste test yesterday. Part had mayo on it, part had avocado, and part had both.

The part with both was the best!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 06:56   #216

Boat: Able 50

Please boys and girls, do your innards a favor. Heinz salad cream is LOADED with sugar.

YUK !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 06:59   #217

And it doesn't need refrigeration either.
Old 19-07-2013, 07:07   #218

Can't argue on that one.
Old 19-07-2013, 07:16   #219
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Please boys and girls, do your innards a favor. Heinz salad cream is LOADED with sugar.

YUK !

LOADED with sugar? How much is that? Heinz lists sugar as the fourth ingredient, but it's followed by mustard (probably no yellow dye in there, mustard is an intense colorant) and a few other things. Nowhere could I find ingredients AND their amounts listed. And, I didn't find any food dyes listed in Heinz' list.

There's no way of knowing how much sugar is in it,that I can tell because I couldn't find a recipe on line that used all the ingredients Heinz lists. However, any time vinegar is in a recipe, it's likely that there will be some kind of sweetener to balance it.

Odds are it's not much sugar (because of where it's listed in the order of ingredients, and unless you eat half a bottle at once, you're not getting much sugar. I would always expect more sugar than mustard to be used because mustard is so much more intense a flavor than sugar.

Sugar isn't poison any more than grains are. It's excesses of anything that is bad.

With the OBVIOUS exceptions: people with diabetes have to be careful about sugar (they still need some), and people with real celiac disease (not just a personal preference to avoid gluten) must avoid gluten in grains. I have an odd and unusual one: I have to avoid black pepper.
Old 19-07-2013, 07:26   #220

Heinz Salad Cream is 1/6 sugar
Old 19-07-2013, 07:56   #221
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Heinz Salad Cream is 1/6 sugar

Could you please provide a source for that?

But let's presume you're right. Let's look at this.

12 oz. would be 48 T of spread. Of that, according to you, 8T is sugar. That's a LOT of sugar.

But for one T. of spread, less than most people would use on a sandwich, that's 1/2 t. of sugar. Sugar is under 17 calories per teaspoon, so that's ... less than 8 calories from sugar.

I looked for recipes for this spread on line and couldn't find any that showed anywhere near the amount of sugar you said. So I will have to see a footnote. If you can provide a credible (not a biased, anti-sugar site -- a neutral site) -- you can serve me crow.

There are lots of people out there with worries about food. Some are worried about genetically altered food, but we've been manipulating the gene content of our food for centuries -- meat as well as vegetable. There are those who are convinced that refined sugar is awful but raw sugar is OK. I personally think that standard refined sugar has an unfinished taste to it, and I put a vanilla bean in my sugars -- both granulated and refined. Do that and you'll find that you use less and like it more, IMO.

My younger daughter says that most bananas are farmed and harvested in ways that violate basic human rights and that we should not buy bananas sold in major food chains.

The list goes on forever. I think a lot of these people like these beliefs because it gives them an increased feeling of control. That's fine for them, but I'd like them to stay out of my sugar jar. I don't use it a lot but I don't worry about it when I do because I just don't eat much of it.

The brain runs on two things -- oxygen -- and sugar. This is why one symptom in diabetics of too much insulin is confusion, and why they carry candy with them. Once their brain has gotten confused they can appear drunk and cannot participate in their own rescue, a bad situation since they often are the only person at the scene who knows they are diabetic.

Too much of anything is usually a bad thing, including, IMO, too many rules about what we can and cannot eat.
Old 19-07-2013, 08:27   #222

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Could you please provide a source for that?

But let's presume you're right. Let's look at this.

12 oz. would be 48 T of spread. Of that, according to you, 8T is sugar. That's a LOT of sugar.
This website says there is about 17.5g sugar per 100g of "salad cream" ( this sounds kind of disgusting) so that would be a little more than a Tbs per 3.5oz. Not a huge amount considering the amount you put on a sandwich.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...gar-shock.html

Of course I don't know their source but it sounds not unusual for this type of condiment.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 08:27   #223
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Rakuflames;1288818
The brain runs on two things -- oxygen -- and sugar. [/QUOTE]

and BEER!

which is just a good way to store sugar
Old 19-07-2013, 09:17   #224

careful that you don't anger the food police by suggesting beer as a sugar storage solution. Actually your stomach is a good beer storage device.
Old 19-07-2013, 09:22   #225
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
and BEER!

which is just a good way to store sugar

Not to be nit-picky -- but beer contains a sugar.

When a peson becomes dehydrated, it isn't enough just to give them water (we all know that). There are also essential electrolytes ... and lack of food will also aggravate hyperthermia. It contains sugar, and it's an essential part when drunk as part of first aid.