Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2012, 12:47   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: major provisioning in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

Fresh dried beans. ergh, if they're fresh, they're not dried yet, are they?<G>

Really, Publix, pick a big one, check the circulars for sales. Aldi's is around, with usually lower prices (cash or debit card needed) but limited selections and not always the same quality.

Costco and Sam's and BJ's often have similar selections and prices, the biggest one you can find will have the most variety but if you are buying frozen or perishable, closer might be better. Publix does sell dry ice at the front of the store, if you're transporting things.

And while Whole Foods certaonly has some nice quality, I don't think anyone would call them inexpensive, rarely competitive except for the high quality.

Sam's Club is advertising FREE DAY PASS this coming weekend, no membership needed and you won't be surcharged. So that might be an incentive, call ahead, check the dates, make sure no coupon is needed.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 13:21   #32

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailboatLarry View Post
If you are up for a day of debauchery before you depart dont forget about GFS in Key West. Sure they probably have one in Florida city. I stock up there on easy to store, single serve, no refrgeration needed items like salad dressing. The little pouches are easy to store and last for a long time.
Great tip - we love us some KW debauchery. Our "best laid plan" has Key West as our last US port of call - looking at the map on the website, it looks like the GFS is walking distance from Garrison Bight?

Quote:
As for my mayo addiction...I just grab 20-30 packs with each hotdog purchase at the Key Colony Circle K!
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 15:45   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailboatLarry View Post
If you are up for a day of debauchery before you depart dont forget about GFS in Key West. Sure they probably have one in Florida city. I stock up there on easy to store, single serve, no refrgeration needed items like salad dressing. The little pouches are easy to store and last for a long time.
As for my mayo addiction...I just grab 20-30 packs with each hotdog purchase at the Key Colony Circle K!
That signature should be on the statue of liberty
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 15:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
Just a bit of warning, Those stores only deal in very large sizes and quantities. There are shelf life and storage issues, where do you put a 2-1/2 gal jug of juice, how do you keep the rest of that huge box of cereal from getting soggy?

I think part of the adventure and joy of cruising is "living local".
American supermarkets are like that - many choices etc.
But, Sam's Club is not just huge containers.
It has normal containers of stuff. And is well worth it to stock up on non-perishables.
And yes - hit the local restaurants when in the cruising zones...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 15:09   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

GFS is an easy walk from the bight for me. I would suggest a cab on the return trip. You might be able to pull your dinghy close to the store at high tide and ship your items back that way. On your walk there you will pass a Circle K. So grab a hotdog and stak up on Mayo

Another tip. I doubt you will find a better deal then Winn Dixie on items like dried beans and canned food. When they put them on sale it is normally 10 items for 10 bucks. I shop there for staple items then walk across the street to publix for produce and meats.

Also dont be afraid to check out Daffy Dougs. Small selection but there are treasures hiding in that store.
Old 26-04-2012, 19:47   #36

If you use Winn Dixie make sure to check the exp. dates. They seem to have a lot of out dated product on the shelves.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 04:28   #37
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
If you use Winn Dixie make sure to check the exp. dates. They seem to have a lot of out dated product on the shelves.
not only that they repackage the out of date stuff with a new date if it does not sell- my ex-wife worked there 10 years
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 06:07   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
not only that they repackage the out of date stuff with a new date if it does not sell- my ex-wife worked there 10 years
eewwwww - five-year-old "freshly dried" beans?

My husband used to work at Whole Foods - he has some stories, too! Some things, it's better not to know.

E.g. I worked at a concession stand once, at a major league ballpark, and as a result I will never again eat food that comes from a concession stand. (not even popcorn)
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 27-04-2012, 08:00   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

lived in miami a number of years and before we left on this trip (been out 1 1/2 years) did a lot of provisioning at presidentate (sp) supermarket in little havana - great selection, great prices, HOWEVER if you are offended that you are the only one not speaking spanish get over it as they are great folks there and a good introduction to the lands south of you --

publix is expensive as is whole foods and wild oats but are yuppieville if that is what you want - you will certaintly not find that down here -
as for us we are about to get shocked as we made puerto rico and will head to reprovision monday and go to a mega store that will have more selections than we can deal with

just our opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
currently lying puerto rico headed anywhere but north
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 10:53   #40
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I agree about the horrendous traffic but Southeast Florida supermarkets are also quite yacht savvy. Publix no longer promotes what they called Yacht Packs but you can still use the concept. Go in to place your meat order to exact specs and amounts. They will both wrap and freeze it. Saves space, waste and reduces trash. Also does not overwhelm your on-board freezer with a ton of unfrozen stuff all at once. Pick it up the next day. Publix also has the best produce.
Old 29-04-2012, 12:47   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
this is so true..I have bought food(meat) from there that was rotten and when I took it back they wanted to give me trouble..I wouldnt shop at Winn Dixie if I had a choice...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:08   #42

Well! Thanks again, everyone, for your advice. We made our FIRST major provisioning trip. A few lessons learned, for others who might be making such a run.

We rented a full-sized car, which was big but not big enough for everything (like cat food, 200 pounds of kitty litter, bulky plastic bins, etc.) . We were thinking about renting a big mini-van or SUV, but they were WAY more expensive. We can rent a full-size car TWICE for cheaper than it would have cost to rent a mini-van or SUV once. This worked for us, because we can spend time inventorying and storing the first load, figuring out what else we need and what else we have room for, and then we can make another run up for the rest of what we've decided to buy. Also, since we're in the middle of a messy refit - it's nice to have an excuse to get away for a couple more days. We used "reward points" for free nights in motels - awesome, when the boat has no refrigeration, no hot water, no propane hooked up, main salon ripped up, fiberglass dust everywhere....

We combined our provisioning run with a family visit, and my uncle had a Sam's card, so that's where we went. Wow - really saved a TON of money, compared to regular supermarkets. No experience before, with warehouse shopping. Helps to be flexible about brands. Didn't get everything on our list, so next time, maybe we'll try BJ's or Costco. Then, back to Publix for last minute fresh foods.

Went to Whole Foods for beans. Hope there is enough turnover in a very big busy store that the beans have not been sitting in the bins forever.

We had to keep reminding ourselves, as Cheechako noted in a previous post, that there will indeed be food wherever we're going! Still new at this, so still working on balancing competing priorities: stock up to save money; eat local to save money; eat local because that's part of the joy of traveling; stock up because sometimes, you really do want the "right" brand of peanut butter; eat local so you don't weigh down the boat. We spent three months in the Bahamas, having not done ANY provisioning at all. VERY expensive. Now we are probably going too far in the other direction. Any thoughts on how more experienced cruisers handle this would be appreciated.

Aunt and uncle recommended we stock up on booze at a place called Total Wine in Port St. Lucie. Oh. My. God. An awesome place, and the prices were better than we'd seen anywhere else. I think they have other locations.

Went to Sailorman -what a dump! We loved it, and spent hours wandering around. We found almost all the courtesy flags we needed, gently used and only five bucks per. Then we went to the West Marine too, of course - wow! Very proud of ourselves: we only bought things that were on our list, that we'd already looked for at Sailorman's and Boat Owner's Warehouse.

One more trip up north, then Key West. And we've started collecting mayo packets from Circle K's. I think we're about set!!
Old 01-05-2012, 15:15   #43

Boat: private yacht always moving

total wine is all over parts of florida. There is one on 17th street in fort lauderdale by a super publix. They are both used to doing the mega yachts so have a better selection than most
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:20   #44

Boat: Looking for Cat. between 32-40ft to sail around the world From Florida startn 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
We are in the Keys now, but will rent a car and go up to "the mainland" for some major provisioning (leaving the US and not coming back until ???!). What is THE BEST MEGA STORE in south Florida for groceries, etc.? Never have been a Costco or Sam's kind of a gal, but it seems that's what's called for, just now. Is there one store that's bigger, with better selection, than others? Does anyone know where to get FRESH dried beans, in bulk, in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or anywhere between Marathon and Port St. Lucie (we're going up there to visit family)? Thanks!
We are in Marathon waiting for the weather window as well, we done most of our shopping in Walmart as you need to be a member of Cosco so the money you will save is no different if its one big shop..
welshdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 21:03   #45

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
One more trip up north, then Key West. And we've started collecting mayo packets from Circle K's. I think we're about set!!
Be careful not to get Miricle whip!!!! yuk!!!
Really... bless you guys on your journey. Looks like I have my weather window opens up. headed north this week.15 knot beam reach in the stream is better then that nor'easter last week. Stay in touch when I hit Roatan next winter I will provide the mayo.

Keep collecting the packets!

Tags
fort lauderdale, miami, provisioning