Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 07:09   #16

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Re: major provisioning in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

A lot of good advice here - thanks so much! I had never heard of BJs before - I know what Coscos are like, is BJs similar? Which is better? 😊. Definitely going to hit sailor man, although I'm afraid we might get carried away.... Budget? What budget?
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 07:11   #17

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Add my voice to those who love Miami. It's a big city with big city problems. However if you can look beyond that you'll find wonderful people, food, and culture.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 08:02   #18

Although I can't say I know the city well, I agree that Miami is a great city. Last year, before we moved aboard the boat, we took a trip to FL for Ean's 49th birthday - what he called his "last land lubber birthday". In the blog post below, there's a bit where he describes Miami Beach as "the anti-Milwaukee.". (We were living in Milwaukee at the time and not too thrilled about it.)

http://morejoyeverywhere.blogspot.co...-birthday.html
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 23-04-2012, 08:57   #19

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Despite the crowds and traffic, Miami being a huge city, has a wealth of resources to plumb if you know your way around. Sounds like you are getting lots of help from knowledgable CF members w/just that. Having just gotten back to New Mexico(...don't try to provision in NM for anything ..LOL...)from Dinner Key/Coconut Grove...I truly enjoyed shopping at Fresh Market and Milams market...expensive, but amazing. Given the bounty available in Miami the suggestion for a U-Haul is a good idea...have fun.
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 09:21   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

There are also Publix supermarkets all over south Florida, including one in Marathon and one in Key Largo. They're well stocked and reasonably priced. Maybe once you've loaded up at Costco, you can top off at Publix. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 09:37   #21

Yep, we have been to the Publix here in Marathon a couple of times - it's great. Especially awe-inspiring after three months in the Bahamas!
Old 23-04-2012, 09:40   #22

Boat: Mason 43

Just a bit of warning, Those stores only deal in very large sizes and quantities. There are shelf life and storage issues, where do you put a 2-1/2 gal jug of juice, how do you keep the rest of that huge box of cereal from getting soggy?

I think part of the adventure and joy of cruising is "living local".
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 09:42   #23

Boat: Mason 43

I guess I have spent too much time in third world countries, these huge super markets with 14 choices of milk and 8 brands of OJ just scare me.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 09:51   #24

Just a bit of warning, Those stores only deal in very large sizes and quantities. There are shelf life and storage issues, where do you put a 2-1/2 gal jug of juice, how do you keep the rest of that huge box of cereal from getting soggy?

I think part of the adventure and joy of cruising is "living local".

Yeah, but everyone likes to fill the boat before first taking off! "There may not be food out there in the third world!" :>)
The one thing I will say about Costco is their quality is almost always very good. They might not be the very cheapest on some things.... but consistantly good. Buying for two there has to be done judiciously for sure....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
I guess I have spent too much time in third world countries, these huge super markets with 14 choices of milk and 8 brands of OJ just scare me.
Agree!

BUT! If ya just gotta have 200 lbs. of unscented kitty litter - the brand that minimizes kitty's sneezing - the mega stores are the way to go.

And my hubby is very particular about the olives that he puts in his martinis.

And my favorite peanut butter is Simply Jif and I'm not sure I could go on without it.

But besides that, eat local, travel global!
Old 23-04-2012, 10:01   #26

If you are not in a big rush Publix offers 2 for 1 specials each week that are in smaller sizes and a better price than the big club stores. Also if your'e going to Sailorman stop at the new West Marine around the corner(Andrews & 84) it is the biggest one in the country.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:07   #27

Boat: In between boats

I'm subscribing. I am also thinking about provisioning option in Miami. Since it's a big city, I know i would be able to find the large bulk stores, but it's always the small markets, bakery's and butchers that I usually shop in.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 11:10   #28

i wouldn't go to miami, maybe not even fort lauderdale. the place is a horrible zoo. cruiser friends of mine just left there and said they would never go near the place again.

just my opinion

The Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/WPB area is one large urban/ mostly suburban area that stretches from Homestead to WPB. About 100 miles N/S and 20 miles E/W. It has one of the most diverse populations in the country. I live in Ft. Lauderdale . Within 5 miles I can shop at Publix,Winn-Dixie,Whole Foods, Costco,Sams, or at oriental, south or central american, carribean, kosher and arabic markets. As far as marine products/services On St. Rd. 84 and an area about a mile south from US1 about 3 miles west I can find anything I need from canvasmakers,sailmakers,marine stores, hardware, tools, woodworkers and wood, haulout facilities that will take 150' boats,diesel repair and parts shops and prop repair. Not one but several of each. Miami and WPB also have areas like this. I don't think that there are to many places compare in quality to S Fl in this respect.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:08   #29

Boat: Bristol 27

If you are up for a day of debauchery before you depart dont forget about GFS in Key West. Sure they probably have one in Florida city. I stock up there on easy to store, single serve, no refrgeration needed items like salad dressing. The little pouches are easy to store and last for a long time.
As for my mayo addiction...I just grab 20-30 packs with each hotdog purchase at the Key Colony Circle K!
Old 25-04-2012, 12:38   #30

Boat: Seaward 22

GFS looks interesting. Wish I had one near me.

Gordon Food Service - Food Service Distributor & Products - GFS.com
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort lauderdale, miami, provisioning